The Grainger Engineering Library maintains a large collection of government publications in science and technology. Some publications are also available on the Internet. If you require assistance identifying or locating government publications in science and technology, please consult a reference librarian at the Grainger Engineering Library. For assistance with other types of government publications, please contact the Documents Library.
Finding Government Publications
Information about Grainger’s print holdings of government publications in science and technology
Links to government publications in science and technology available online
This gateway to government science information and research results provides a search of over 60 scientific databases and 200 million pages of science information with just one query, and is a gateway to over 2200 scientific websites.
This global science gateway, comprised of national and international scientific databases and portals, provides one-stop searching of databases from around the world.
Collects, preserves, and disseminates scientific and technical information emanating from DOE research and development activities. It provides access to science information fromt the DOE and beyond.
Provides full-text and bibliographic records of DOE-sponsored report literature produced by the DOE and DOE contractor research and development community. This site includes reports that have been received and processed since January 1996.
An information tool used to locate DOE’s collections of data and non-text information and retrieve individual datasets within some of those collections. It includes collection citations prepared by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, as well as records for individual datasets submitted from DOE Data Centers and other organizations.
An independent statistical and analytical agency within DOE. This site provides a comprehensive source of information relevant to energy resources and reserves, energy production, energy demand, energy technologies, and related financial and statistical information.
A multiprogram science and technology laboratory managed for DOE by Lockheed Martin Energy Research Corporation. This site provides selected full-text and bibliographic records of ORNL technical reports.
A national security laboratory operated for DOE by the Sandia Corporation, a Lockheed Martin Company. This site provides selected full-text and bibliographic records of SAND technical reports.
A list of hyperlinks to NASA centers, project web sites, and other space agencies and related organizations.
Supports the objectives of NASA’s missions and research; acquires, processes, archives, announces, and disseminates scientific and technical aerospace information.
A service that allows users to search the many different abstract and technical report servers maintained by various NASA centers and programs.
Serves as an online locator service for a comprehensive inventory of information disseminated by the U.S. Government.
Provides bibliographic citations to over 350,000 printed publications and technical reports that NTIS has received from government agencies since 1990. It does NOT provide subject searching or abstracts. Full text is available by logging in using a free account.
Allows searching of the NTIS database through Engineering Villiage.
Information about access to indexes and abstracts of government publications both in print and online
Energy Research Abstracts (ERA)
- Published by the Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI).
- Provides citations with abstracts for all scientific and technical reports and patent applications originated by DOE and its laboratories, energy centers, and contractors. Searchable by subject, personal author, corporate author, contract number, and report number.
- Located at call number 016.3338 in the Grainger Indexes and Abstracts Collection (holdings include 1975 – 1995). Print publication of ERA ceased in December 1995.
- The Virtual Library of Energy Science and Technology contains searchable bibliographic records from peer-reviewed journal literature, gray literature (including technical reports produced by the DOE) and a preprint network
Government Reports Announcements and Index (GRA&I)
- Published by the National Technical Information Service (NTIS).
- Provides citations with abstracts for the scientific and technical reports received by NTIS. Searchable by subject, personal author, corporate author, contract/grant number, and NTIS order/report number.
- Located at call number A.600UN34B in the Grainger Indexes and Abstracts Collection (holdings include 1946 – 1996). Print publication of GRA&I ceased in December 1996.
- The National Technical Reports Library provides bibliographic citations to over 350,000 printed publications and technical reports that NTIS has received from government agencies since 1990. Full text is available by logging in using a free account. The NTIS database is also searchable through Engineering Village.
International Aerospace Abstracts (IAA)
- Published by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).
- Provides citations with abstracts for literature in the field of aeronautics and space science and technology, including AIAA meeting papers. Searchable by subject, personal author, meeting and report number, and accession number.
- Located at call number 629.1305INTE in the Grainger Indexes and Abstracts Collection (holdings include 1961 – present).
Monthly Catalog of United States Government Publications (MoCat)
- Published by the U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO).
- Offers partial coverage of technical reports, including series from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Searchable by subject, title, author, series/report number, contract number, GPO stock number, and Superintendent of Documents (SuDoc) number.
- Located in the Documents Library. Ask a Documents librarian for assistance.
- The web version of the Catalog of United States Government Publications (MOCAT) indexes U.S. government publications from 1976 – present.
Scientific and Technical Aerospace Reports (STAR)
- Published by the National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA) Scientific and Technical Information (STI) Program Office.
- Provides citations with abstracts for aerospace-related reports obtained by NASA from worldwide sources. Searchable by subject, personal author, corporate source, contract number, and report number.
- Located at call number 016.6294SC27 in the Grainger Indexes and Abstracts Collection (holdings include 1963 – 1995).
- Available online via the NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS), which provides access to aerospace-related citations, full-text online documents, and images and videos. The types of information include: conference papers, journal articles, meeting papers, patents, research reports, images, movies, and technical videos – scientific and technical information (STI) created or funded by NASA.