Access restricted to University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign affiliates.
Online Research Hubs
Collection of scholarship focused on African American and African history and culture with search and browse capabilities. Includes articles by scholars in the field, images, primary sources with specially written commentaries, maps, charts and tables, and biographies. Core content includes:
- African American National Biography
- Dictionary of African Biography
- Encyclopedia of African American History, 1619-1895
- Encyclopedia of African American History, 1896 to the Present
- Black Women in America, Second Edition
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of African Thought
- The Dictionary of Caribbean and Afro-Latin American Biography
The Oxford African American Studies Center also draws on additional resources from other reference titles included in Oxford University Press’s reference resources.
Black Studies Center combines research and teaching resources in Black studies, including: resources from Schomburg Studies on the Black Experience; The International Index of Black Periodicals (IIBP); full text backfiles of influential black newspapers (e.g., Baltimore Afro-American, Chicago Defender); ProQuest dissertations relevant to Black Studies; Black Literature Index; and a browsable collection of Black Abolitionist Papers.
Peer-reviewed annotated bibliographies on specific topics in a growing range of subject areas. Each includes an introduction to the topic. Bibliographies are browsable by subject area and keyword searchable. Subjects that may contain bibliographies relevant to African American Studies research include: Atlantic History, Cinema and Media Studies, Education, Literary and Critical Theory, and Sociology.
Note: Each link takes you to the eBook’s catalog record.
- The African-American Years: Chronologies of American History and Experience
- African American Eras: Contemporary Times
- African American Eras: Segregation to Civil Rights Times
- Black Firsts: 4,000 Ground-Breaking and Pioneering Historical Events
- Freedom Facts and Firsts: 400 Years of the African American Civil Rights Experience
Companions and Handbooks
African American Studies
Arts, Culture, and Literature
Health, Education, and Social Sciences
- Encyclopedia of African-American Culture & History
- Encyclopedia of African-American Literature
- Encyclopedia of African-American Politics
- Encyclopedia of African African Women Writers
- Encyclopedia of African-American Writing: Five Centuries of Contribution: Trials & Triumphs of Writers, Poets, Publications, and Organizations
- Encyclopedia of Free Blacks and People of Color in the Americas
- Encyclopedia of Race and Racism
Other Reference eBooks