While you can search a broad selection of library resources related to African American Studies with Easy Search, the following databases allow for more refined searching.
Access restricted to University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign affiliates.
- America: History & Life
- Indexes journal articles, book reviews, and dissertations from 1964-present on all periods of North American history. Includes some links to full text. Journals include: Afro-Americans in New York Life & History; Black Ball: A Journal of the Negro Leagues; Journal of the Afro-American Historical & Genealogical Society; African American Review; Afro-Americans in New York Life & History; Crisis; Western Journal of Black Studies; Slavery & Abolition.
- Black Studies Center (Journals)
- Searches the International Index to Black Periodicals (IIBP), which dates back to 1902 and includes current and retrospective bibliographic citations and abstracts from scholarly journals and newsletters from the United States, Africa and the Caribbean. Also searches The Marshall Index, a guide to black periodicals from 1940-1946.
- Ethnic NewsWatch and Ethnic NewsWatch: A History
- Journals, magazines, and newspapers from ethnic and minority presses. Ethnic NewsWatch™, covers 1990-present, and the historical collection, Ethnic NewsWatch: A History™, spans 1959-1989.
- Left Index
- Guide to literature of the left from 1911-present, with an emphasis on political, economic, social and culturally engaged scholarship both inside and outside of academia. A secondary emphasis is on significant but little known sources of news and ideas.
- Includes contemporary journals, academic ebooks, and primary sources published as early as 1665. Includes full-text backfiles of journals: African American Review; Black Scholar; Callaloo; Fire!!!; Journal of African American History; Journal of Black Studies; Journal of Blacks in Higher Education; Journal of Negro Education; Phylon; Transition; and Women, Gender, and Families of Color.
- SocINDEX with Full Text
- Coverage of sociology, encompassing all sub-disciplines and closely related areas of study. Indexes books, monographs, conference papers and other non-periodical content sources. Also includes searchable cited references.
- Women’s Studies International
- Provides citations and abstracts to various areas of Women’s studies. Indexes journals, newspapers, newsletters, bulletins, books, book chapters, proceedings, reports, theses, dissertations, NGO studies, websites and grey literature. Coverage spans 1881-present.