Find Articles in Databases & Journals
Use databases to search multiple online journals at the same time. Find articles about a specific topic by using keywords, subject headings, authors, and more.
- All ASHA Journals Search [On-campus or VPN use only]
- Biological Abstracts
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts
Find Background Information
Reference sources, online or in print, include encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks, and directories and are great starting points for background information about a specific topic.
- Blackwell Handbook of Language Development
- Cognition and Acquired Language Disorders
- Comprehensive Handbook of Pediatric Audiology (print only)
- Foundations of Speech and Hearing: Anatomy and Physiology (print only)
- Handbook of Child Language Disorders (print only)
- Handbook of Clinical Linguistics
- Handbook of Language and Speech Disorders
- Handbook of Phonetic Sciences
- Handbook of Research on Psychosocial Perspectives of Human Communication Disorders
- Handbook of Speech Perception
- The Hearing Sciences (print only)
- Hedge’s Pocketguide to Assessment in Speech-Language Pathology (print only)
- Hedge’s Pocketguide to Treatment in Speech-Language Pathology (print only)
- Introduction to Audiology (print only)
- The Oxford Handbook of Developmental Linguistics
- The Oxford Handbook of Neurolinguistics
- Research Methods in Child Language
- The Routledge Handbook of Phonetics
- SAGE Deaf Studies Encyclopedia (print only)
- The Senses: a comprehensive reference
- Springer Handbook of Auditory Research
Browse Useful Websites
Websites can provide statistics, data, articles, documents, and other information about a specific field of study.
- Academy of Doctors of Audiology
- Academy of Rehabilitative Audiology
- Acoustical Society of America
- American Academy of Audiology
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- American Tinnitus Association
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- National Student Speech/Language Hearing Association
Develop Research Skills
Speech & Hearing Science Research Guides
Research guides provide suggestions for finding and using information about a specific subject.
Use Additional Library Resources
Speech & Hearing Science Related Libraries and Library Services
Learn About Other Resources on Campus
Learn about speech & hearing science resources, research, and services at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
About the Speech & Hearing Science Collection
The Speech and Hearing Science Collection in the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library supports instructional and research programs in the Department of Speech and Hearing Science. SHS research intersects with many other disciplines and the library’s collections reflect this. The collection is strong in physical, behavioral, and social aspects of human communication. The department supports the Audiology Clinic and the Speech-Language Pathology Clinic, which provide comprehensive services to individuals of all ages in the community who may be experiencing speech or hearing difficulties. The SHS collection supports programs of study in speech-language pathology, audiology, and speech, language, and hearing science. The department prepares scientists and professionals who specialize in the study of communication challenges. The Speech and Hearing Science collection moved to the Applied Health Sciences Library in 1991, the same year the department moved from LAS to the College of AHS. The library’s SHS collection and services were merged with others to form the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library (SSHEL) in 2012.
Please direct all comments or requests for information to J.J. Pionke, firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-265-0002.