Find Articles in Databases & Journals
Use databases to search multiple online journals at the same time. Find articles about a specific topic by using keywords, subject headings, authors, and more.
- All ASHA Journals Search [On-campus or VPN use only]
- Biological Abstracts
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts
Find Background Information
Reference sources, online or in print, include encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks, and directories and are great starting points for background information about a specific topic.
- Blackwell Handbook of Language Development
- Cognition and Acquired Language Disorders
- Handbook of Clinical Linguistics
- Handbook of Language and Speech Disorders
- Handbook of Phonetic Sciences
- Handbook of Speech Perception
- Research Methods in Child Language
- SAGE Deaf Studies Encyclopedia
- The Senses: a comprehensive reference
- Springer Handbook of Auditory Research
Browse Useful Websites
Websites can provide statistics, data, articles, documents, and other information about a specific field of study.
- Academy of Doctors of Audiology
- Academy of Rehabilitative Audiology
- Acoustical Society of America
- American Academy of Audiology
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- American Tinnitus Association
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- National Student Speech/Language Hearing Association
Develop Research Skills
Research guides provide suggestions for finding and using information about a specific subject or for a specific class.
Speech & Hearing Science Research Guides
Use Additional Library Resources
Speech & Hearing Science Related Libraries and Library Services
- Speech and Hearing Science Assessment Instruments
- The Test Collection
- UIC Library of the Health Sciences – Urbana
Learn About Other Resources on Campus
Learn about speech & hearing science resources, research, and services at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
About the Speech & Hearing Science Collection
The Speech and Hearing Science Collection in the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library supports instructional and research programs in the Department of Speech and Hearing Science. SHS research intersects with many other disciplines and the library’s collections reflect this. The collection is strong in physical, behavioral, and social aspects of human communication. The department supports the Audiology Clinic and the Speech-Language Pathology Clinic, which provide comprehensive services to individuals of all ages in the community who may be experiencing speech or hearing difficulties. The SHS collection supports programs of study in speech-language pathology, audiology, and speech, language, and hearing science. The department prepares scientists and professionals who specialize in the study of communication challenges. The Speech and Hearing Science collection moved to the Applied Health Sciences Library in 1991, the same year the department moved from LAS to the College of AHS. The library’s SHS collection and services were merged with others to form the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library (SSHEL) in 2012.
Please direct all comments or requests for information to SSHEL, firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-244-1864.