Youth Services Librarianship
Information on working with children and teens.
- Association for Library Service to Children A division of the American Library Association.
- National Organizations Serving Children and Youth Directory of organizations with which the Association for Library Service to Children maintains formal liaison relationships. Their websites are sources for information about the needs and experiences of children and teens.
- PUBYAC A discussion list for young adult and children’s librarians.
- Young Adult Library Services Association A division of the American Library Association.
- Youth Services Corner | Resources for youth services librarians A weekly selection of links to “resources for librarians and others who work with tweens and teens,” plus links to other blogs from youth services librarians and exemplary library web pages for teens.
Children’s and Young Adult Literature
Learn about youth literature, children’s book authors, storytelling, and more.
- Center for Children’s Books The website for the iSchool’s children’s literature research collection points to many digital and print resources for librarians, students, and storytellers.
- Children’s Literature Comprehensive Database Includes the full text of more than 200,000 reviews of children’s books, drawn from 33 review sources, along with more than 1.2 million MARC bibliographic records. Also offers themed reviews, links to authors’ websites, book award information, and much more.
- Portal:Children’s literature – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- School Collection: Children’s Literature at the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library The website for the University Library’s children’s literature collection includes links to many resources at the UI and beyond, organized by topic.
Learn about methods and traditions of storytelling.
- StoryCenter “An international nonprofit training, project development, and research organization that assists youth and adults around the world in using digital media tools to craft and record meaningful stories from their lives and share these stories in ways that enable learning, build community, and inspire justice.”
- Folk and Fairy Tales: a Guide to Print Resources A LibGuide created by the UI Literatures and Languages Library.
- Folklore and Mythology Electronic Texts Site maintained by D. L. Ashliman. Indexes and links to hundreds of folktales online.
- Illinois Storytelling, Inc. Includes a directory of storytellers in Illinois and a calendar of events.
- International Storytelling Center Host site for the annual National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, Tennessee.
- National Storytelling Network Directory of storytellers, links to resources, calender, and much more.
- Story Arts Online Site maintained by storyteller Heather Forest. Includes a story library, lesson plans, resource links and more.
- Professional Storyteller Maintained by storyteller Jackie Baldwin, this site indexes tales on a wide range of subjects, and also spotlights storybooks and books about storytelling.
- Storytelling Audio – Center for Children’s Books Audio files from the annual Storytelling Festival sponsored by the iSchool.
- Super Simple Storytelling By Kendall F. Haven