Preservation and Conservation
Information about preserving tangible and digital objects in libraries, museums, and elsewhere.
- Bibliographic database of the Conservation Information Network International index of articles on conservation and restoration of art objects and architecture.
- Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology Defines words related to book bindings and the tools and techniques for creating and repairing them. The print edition (Matt T. Roberts and Don Etherington, 1982) is available in the library.
- Collections Care Advice from the Library on Congress on the care and preservation of books, photos, videos, and other media.
- CoOL: Conservation Online A project of the Preservation Department of Stanford University Libraries, CoOL is “a full text library of conservation information, covering a wide spectrum of topics of interest to those involved with the conservation of library, archives and museum materials.”
- Digital Preservation (Library of Congress) “The mission of the National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program is to develop a national strategy to collect, preserve and make available significant digital content, especially information that is created in digital form only, for current and future generations.” Links to publications and projects by NDIIPP partners, tools, videos, podcasts, and more.
- Digital Preservation Management This online tutorial is a comprehensive guide to the concepts and challenges of digital preservation by Cornell University Library.
- IFLA’s Preservation and Conservation Section A section of the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) that is concerned with the preservation of all recorded knowledge in all types of libraries.
- Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC) Click on the Resources link for a wealth of information sources, including downloadable pamphlets and a searchable database of suppliers.
- PADI: Preserving access to digital information A subject gateway to international digital preservation resources. PADI has not been updated since July 2010, when a copy of the site was archived in Australia’s national web archive, PANDORA.
- Preservation and Conservation Home page of the Preservation and Conservation units of the University of Illinois Library. Offers information about the library’s preservation and conservation programs, preservation FAQs, and a comprehensive Employee Emergency Procedures (EEP!) manual.
- PRONOM Technical Registry Provided by the UK National Archives, PRONOM is a resource for anyone requiring impartial and definitive information about the file formats, software products and other technical components required to support long-term access to electronic records and other digital objects of cultural, historical or business value.
- Recommended Format Specifications (Library of Congress) “Recommended Format Specifications are hierarchies of the physical and technical characteristics of creative formats, both analog and digital, which will best meet the needs of all concerned, maximizing the chances for survival and continued accessibility of creative content well into the future.”
Information about finding book reviews online.
- Amazon.com Includes reviews from major reviewing sources like Library Journal and Publishers Weekly, as well as reviewers contributed by users of the site.
- Book & Film Reviews Guide From the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library, tips for searching licensed databases for reviews of films and scholarly, popular, and children’s books.
- Book Review Index Online[Licensed for UI] Citations to book reviews from 1965 to the present.
- Books in Print[Licensed for UI] Reprints reviews from major US reviewing magazines and newspapers.
- Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books Published at the iSchool, the Bulletin features book reviews for public and school youth librarians.
- Children’s Literature Comprehensive Database[Licensed for UI] Database includes array of information on children’s books and more than 150,000 critical reviews of thousands of children’s books from 33 sources.
- Choice Reviews[Licensed for UI] Online version of the print magazine CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, a publication of the Association of College and Research Libraries.
Technical Services in Libraries
Information about developments in technical services.
- AcqNet-L: The Acquisitions Librarians Electronic Network An email list “for acquisitions librarians and others interested in acquisitions work.”
- Association for Library Collections and Technical Services A division of the American Library Association.
- Metadata Blog From the Metadata Interest Group of the Association for Library Collections & Technical Services (ALCTS).
- Technical Processing Online Tools Policies, procedures and tools used at the University of California, San Diego, Library. Some tools require login.