Privileges by User Group
- U of I Students, Faculty, and Staff
- Courtesy Card Users
- I-Share Users
- Borrowing Policy for Out-of-State Users
Tips for Borrowing
- After you set up your library account you can request items online.
- Interlibrary Loan materials and Loanable Technology items have their own policies.
- Privileges may vary from those posted because of an item’s condition, type, or the collection to which it belongs.
- Return or renew your items before they’re due! Fines and fees are charged for overdue recalls, reserves, media and loanable technology, and lost items.
- Entrance to the Main Stacks is primarily for faculty, staff, and students currently employed by or enrolled at U of I. See our page on Main Stacks Access for more information and exceptions.
If someone needs an item you currently have checked out and there is not another copy available, then your loan period can be shortened to 2 weeks. This is called a “recall.” If an item is recalled you will receive a library notice to let you know the new due date and to remind you that you will be fined if the item is returned late. Return recalled items to circulation desk staff so they can discharge the item from your account right away. For more details, see the Recalls page.