Search Strategies and Tools
- Library CatalogLearn how to use the library catalog to identify specific research materials or search by topic.
- Cited Reference SearchingFind articles that have cited a key resource and will likely be relevant to your research.
- Citation Management SoftwareOverview tools for making your research process more efficient by tracking articles of interest and related citation information.
Find Materials by Type
- Find Background InformationA list of sources to consult for facts and other background information, such as encyclopedias, news articles, dictionaries, and bibliographies.
- Find Articles and JournalsFind specific articles and journals with titles and other citation information, or learn how to search for articles on particular topics.
- Find and Use E-BooksFind specific e-books and e-audiobooks, and learn about how to use our e-book platforms and e-book readers.
- Find MediaFind film and video, video games, and more.
- Find and Use ImagesUse the Library’s databases and websites to find and use images in your research projects.
- Find Visual Resource CollectionsFind free and licensed image and video collections related to spectific subject areas.
- Find Music MaterialsA guide on finding music materials at the library and beyond.
- Find DissertationsHow to find dissertations conferred in Illinois and across the world.
- Find Conference ProceedingsHow to find conference proceedings with the library catalog and other search tools.
- Find DataInformation on finding numeric and spatial data in our collections and elsewhere.
- Find Primary Source MaterialsHow to locate digital and print primary source materials beyond University of Illinois libraries.
- Find Government InformationThe home page for Government Information Services provides information on collections, research tools, online government resources, public services, and more.
- Find Digital CollectionsAn overview by format and subject area of the highlights of the U of I’s digitized collections and how to find them online.
Borrowing and Using