Get acquainted with YOUR library! You have several library tour options available to you:
The Library's holdings are physically housed in approximately 30 departmental libraries, area studies centers, and special collections throughout the library system and in the central bookstacks in the Main Library. While some departmental libraries are housed in the Main Library building, others are strategically located near the department or college whose study, teaching, and research needs they serve. We also have virtual portal for some of our subject areas (see: Library & Information Science Virtual Library). Each library maintains reference materials in its particular subject areas and offers a full range of reference services geared toward assisting library users with specialized information needs.
Uncover and Discover: New Student Library Orientation
Get to know the University Library system and services at the University of Illinois. We'll take you on a tour of the Main and Undergraduate Libraries, stopping to see all major service points. Next, we'll provide you with an introduction to the Library Gateway, your home for virtual library resources and answer your questions about using the Library. No registration necessary. Contact the Information Services Desk for more information: email@example.com or call 217-333-2290.
- Introduction to the Undergraduate Library to learn about course reserves, DVDs and the Media Commons
- Tour the Main Library to see the layout of the building, including the Information Desk, the Main Stacks and the Scholarly Commons (we'll direct you to all our subject libraries, too!)
- Quick introduction to finding library materials
- Pick up handouts on library services and instruction
- Ask questions!
Meet in the Marshall Gallery on the first floor of the Main Library, near the Social Sciences, Health and Education Library.
Fall 2015 Schedule:
Tuesday, September 1st: 10-11am and 2-3pm
Wednesday, September 2nd: 10-11am and 2-3pm
Thursday, September 3rd: 10-11am and 2-3pm
Arrange for a group tour
To arrange a group tour (please allow two weeks planning time for any requested tour):
- If you would like to request a subject specific tour, please contact your departmental library.
- For faculty and teaching assistants who would like to request a tour of the Main Library for their class, please contact Sarah Christensen, Visual Resources Curator.
- To request tours of the Main Stacks, please contact Central Access Services.
- Tours of the Library for community or alumni groups may be arranged by contacting Heather Murphy, Associate Director of Advancement for Publications and Public Affairs, 217-333-3758.
- High school classes wishing to visit the Undergraduate Library and leaders of school groups and groups of school-aged children interested in touring, please contact Kirsten Feist, Instructional Services Specialist in the Undergraduate Library, at 217-300-2272.
- For faculty and teaching assistants who would like to request a tour of the Undergraduate Library for their class, please contact Susan Avery, Undergraduate Library Instructional Services Librarian.
- If your request falls outside the tours listed above, please contact Lisa Hinchliffe, Coordinator of Information Literacy Services and Instruction, at 217-333-1323.
Watch a Video Tour of the Library
This 9 minute video will introduce you to the library and its resources.