Main Stacks Entry Policies
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign faculty, graduate students, undergraduate students,
and staff are granted entrance to the Main Stacks upon presentation of a valid i-Card.
To Use the Main Stacks at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library:
If you have stacks access:
- Present your ID card to the attendant at the back circulation desk.
- For the security of the collection, no food or beverages, backpacks, bags, parcels, or purses
are allowed in the Main Stacks. Lockers are available to store your belongings while you are
in the Main Stacks.
- Please charge out the items you wish to borrow at the back circulation desk before
exiting. If the security gate alarm sounds, please return to the back desk.
If you don't have stacks access:
- Locate and write down the call number of the item(s) you need. We will need the entire
call number in order to locate your item, so please write down everything - numbers, letters and
- Your items will be paged (retrieved from the stacks) for you. You may page up to 4 items
at a time.
- When the items have been retrieved we will call out the last 3 digits of your library ID number
and place the book on hold for you awaiting pickup.
If you need assistance please ask, we're here to help!
Please note: Lockers are only available for patrons while using the Main Stacks.