Jennifer Hain Teper
Head, Department of Conservation
Oak Street Facility
809 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820
- March 2001-Sept. 2001: Assistant Conservator, Tom Pennebaker Paper Conservation.
- February 2001-Sept. 2001: Preservation Planning and Development Assistant, University of Kentucky.
- 2000 - Master in Library and Information Science: University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX.
- 2000 - Certificate of Advanced Study in Conservation and Preservation of Library and Archive Materials: University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX.
- 1994 - Bachelor of Science, Biology and English: University of Richmond, Westhampton, Virginia.
Awards and Distinctions
- Professional Associate level member of the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works, (August 12, 2005).
- Recognition for the design and creation of the ten millionth volume at the University of Illinois Library, Illinois House of Representatives House Resolution No. 744, (March 25, 2004).
- Named a “Mover & Shaker” by Library Journal, The Mover and Shaker annual issue recognizes fifty-five professional librarians in the United States for their contributions to the field of librarianship, (2004).
- Distinguished alumna in University of Richmond Magazine, (2000).
- 2007: Basic Conservation Treatment and Creation of Handling and Processing Guidelines for Scrapbooks in the Student Life and Culture Archives, NEH Challenge Grant.
- 2006: Building a Framework for Preservation and Access Decision Making for Audio-Visual Collections at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Institute for Museum and Library Services, National Leadership Grant.
- 2005: Community Cookbooks Planning Grant, ICR Grant Seed Fund.
- 2005: Conservation Needs Assessment of Scrapbooks in the Student Life and Culture Archives, NEH Challenge Grant.
- 2005: Preservation Workshops on Mold and Integrated Pest Management for Member Institutions, CARLI/ICCMP Collections Grant.
- 2005: Stabilization of “Medium Rare” Materials for Transfer to Storage, NEH Challenge Grant.
- 2002: Conservation Needs Assessment of the Rare Book Room's Uncataloged Backlog, NEH Challenge Grant.
- 2002: Acquisition of Rainbags for all Circulation Points in the UIUC Library System, Friends’ Preservation Competition.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain and Emily F. Shaw. "Planning for Conservation of Archival Scrapbook Collections." Archival Products News, vol. 14, no. 4 (2007).
- Teper, Jennifer Hain. "An Introduction to Preservation Challenges and Potential Solutions for Scrapbooks in Archival Collections." Journal of Archival Organization, (2007).
- Teper, Jennifer Hain. "Popular 20th Century Office Reprographic Processes—A Guide to Identification and Preservation." Collections: A Journal for Museum and Archives Professionals, v. 3, no. 1 (August 2006): 7 -32.
- Atkins, Stephanie S. and Jennifer Hain Teper. "A Survey of Practices in Planning and Managing Temporary Moves." Collection Management, v. 30, no. 4 (2006).
- Teper, Jennifer Hain and Sarah M. Erekson. "The Condition of Our "Hidden" Rare Book Collections." Library Resources and Technical Services (LRTS), v.50, no. 4 (October 2006): 51-65.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain. "Preservation and High-Density Storage." Illinois Association of College and Research Libraries Newsletter, v.28, no. 1 (Spring 2005): 14.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain. "Review of Preservation and Conservation for Libraries and Archives, by Nelly Balloffet and Jenny Hille." The Serials Librarian, vol. 49: no. 4 (2005): 188-190.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain. "Stabilizing Materials in Preparation for Transfer to Remote Storage: Managing Workflow and Costs." Archival Products News vol. 11, no. 4 (2004): 1-4.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain. "An Assessment of Current Book Repair Activities in the State." Illinois Association of College and Research Libraries Newsletter, v.27, no. 2 (Fall 2004): 7, 16.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain. "Newspaper Photo Morgues – A Survey of Institutional Holdings and Practices." Library Collections, Acquisitions, and Technical Services (LCATS), v. 28, no. 1 (2004): 106-125
- Teper, Jennifer Hain, Kristen Kern, Roberta Pillette and David Walls. "Reports from the American Library Association Meeting, Orlando Florida, June 2004." The Abbey Newsletter, vol. 27: no. 4 (July/Aug 2004): 29-31.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain and Stephanie S. Atkins. "Time and Cost Analysis of Preparing and Processing Materials for Off-Site Shelving at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library." Collection Management, v. 28, no. 4 (2003): 43-65.
- Hain, Jennifer. "A Brief Look at Recent Developments in the Preservation and Conservation of Special Collections." Library Trends, 52, no. 1 (summer 2003): 112-117.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain, 2006. "The Condition of Our 'Hidden' Collections: A Conservation Survey at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign." in Proceedings of the AICCM/NZPCG Joint Conference, 19-21 April 2006.
- Hain, Jennifer, 2002. "Collections Conservation in a Natural History Museum Library: Preserving Oversized Journals." in Student Papers from the 26th Annual Association of North American Training Programs in Conservation, 27-29 April 2000.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain, "Planning for the Conservation of Scrapbook Collections in Archives." Midwest Archives Conference Fall Symposium, Bloomfield Hills, MI: 12-13 October 2007.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain, "Preserving Your Scrapbooks and the Preservation of Archival Materials, Levels I & II. Workshops for the Girl Scouts of the USA National Historic Preservation Center, National Girl Scout Training Center. 28 September-1 October, Briarcliff Manor, NY.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain, "Preserving Scrapbooks in the Archives II." Workshop at the Midwest Archives Conference, Bloomington, IL: 27-29 April 2006.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain, "The Condition of Our “Hidden” Collections: A Conservation Survey at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign." Australian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Materials Symposium: Conservation of Paper, Books and Photographic Materials, Wellington, New Zealand: April 20, 2006.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain, "Preserving Scrapbooks in the Archives." Presentation at the Midwest Archives Conference, Bloomington, IN: 29 September - 1 October 2005.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain, "In-house Preservation Education Opportunities for Rare Book and Special Collection Curators." Rare Book and Manuscripts Pre-Conference (ALA), St. Louis, MO: June 23, 2005.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain, "A History of Botanical Illustrative Processes: Their Identification and Care." Exotica: Plant Portraits from Around the World, Lora Robbins Gallery of Design from Nature, University of Richmond Museums, Richmond, VA: September 28, 2004.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain, "Procedures and Preparations for Materials Transfer to Off-Site Storage." Preservation and Reformatting Section Discussion Group, Preservation and Reformatting Section, Association of Library Collections and Technical Services of the American Library Association, Orlando, FL: 27 June 2004.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain, "The Role of Conservation and the Book as an Artifact." Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities Reading Group, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL: March 6, 2003.
- Teper, Jennifer Hain, "Collections Conservation in a Natural History Museum Library: Preserving Oversized Journals." Association of North American Graduate Programs in Conservation, Smithsonian Center for Materials Research and Education, Washington, D.C.: April 27-29, 2000.
- American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works, Professional Associate Member.
- American Library Association.
- Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI).
- Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections.
- Guild of Book Workers.