English and Digital Humanities Librarian
225 Library, MC-522
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61801
- 2009 - M.S., Library and Information Science: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, IL.
- 2007 - M.A., Humanities/Creative Writing: University of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- 2003 - B.A., History and Literature: Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
I am interested in the development and usability of digital humanities resources; development of digital humanities user services; research workflows of humanities scholars that incorporate digital tools and resources; digital literacy; and humanities data curation.
Awards and Distinctions
- DLF Fellow, Digital Library Federation (2012).
- ACRL 2011 Conference Librarian Scholarship. Association for College and Research Libraries (2011).
- Beta Phi Mu (2010).
- Jane B. and Robert B. Downs Professional Promise Award, GSLIS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2010).
- Phi Kappa Phi (2010).
- 2015-2018: “Digging Deeper, Reaching Further: Libraries Empowering Users to Mine the HathiTrust Digital Library Resources.” Institute for Museum and Library Services, Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian grant (Principal Investigator).
- 2015-2016: "Humanities Collaborations and Research Practices: Exploring Scholarship in the Global Midwest.” The Humanities Without Walls consortium and Andrew W. Mellon Foundation (Principal Investigator).
- 2013-2015: "Emblematica Online II." National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Humanities Collections and Reference Resources grant (co-Principal Investigator).
- 2012-2013: "Virtual Verse in the Library: Surveying the E-Poetry Landscape." Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) National Leadership Planning Grant (co-Principal Investigator).
- 2012-2013: "Bandits and Browsing: Data Mining and Network Analysis for Library Collections." Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE, NSF OCI-1053575) Start-Up Allocation (Principal Investigator).
- Fleming-May, Rachel and Harriett Green. 2016. “Digital Innovations in Poetry: Practices of Creative Writing Faculty in Online Literary Publishing.” Journal of the Association of Information Science and Technology (In Press.) 15 pp. in typescript. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/asi.23428.
- Green, Harriett and Fleming-May, Rachel. 2015. “Humanities Librarians and Virtual Verse: Changing Collections and User Services for Online Literature.” Journal of Academic Librarianship 41, no. 4: 457–465. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.acalib.2015.04.004.
- Green, Harriett E. and Angela Courtney. 2015. “Beyond the Scanned Image: A Needs Assessment of Scholarly Users of Digital Collections.” College & Research Libraries 76, no. 5: 690–707. http://dx.doi.org/10.5860/crl.76.5.690.
- Chan, Anita Say and Harriett Green. Practicing Collaborative Digital Pedagogy to Foster Digital Literacies in Humanities Classrooms. EduCause Review, October, 27, 2014: http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/practicing-collaborative-digital-pedagogy-foster-digital-literacies-humanities-classrooms
- Green, Harriett E. 2014. “Disciplinary scholarship in literary magazines and the implications for user discovery and collections access.” portal: Libraries and the Academy 14, no. 2: 217-238.
- Green, Harriett E. 2014. “Facilitating Communities of Practice in Digital Humanities: Librarian Collaborations for Research and Training in Text Encoding.” Library Quarterly 84, no. 2: 219-234.
- Green, Harriett E. 2013. “An analysis of the use and preservation of MONK text mining research software.” Literary and Linguistic Computing 29, no.1: 23-40. doi: 10.1093/llc/fqt014.
- Green, Harriett E. 2013. Libraries across Land and Sea: Academic library services on international branch campuses. College & Research Libraries 74, no.1: 9-23. doi: 10.5860/crl-259
- Green, Harriett E. 2011. “Finding the Canary for Text Mining: Analysis of the use and users of MONK text mining research software.” Journal of the Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer Science https://letterpress.uchicago.edu/index.php/jdhcs/article/view/84
- Green Harriett E. 2016. “Fostering Digital Pedagogy Practices through Faculty-Librarian Collaborations: An Analysis of Assessment Strategies for Student-Generated Multi-Modal Digital Scholarship.” In Laying the Foundation: Digital Humanities in the Library, edited by Heather Gilbert and John W. White. (In Press.) Lafayette, IN: Purdue University Press.
- Green, Harriett E., Jordan Ruud, and Andrew Walsh. “Using Website Analytics Tools in the Development of a Humanities Library Web Portal.” in Web Analytic Strategies for Information Professionals: A LITA Guide, edited by Tabatha Farney and Nina McHale, 147-166. Chicago, IL: ALA Editions, 2013.
- Green, Harriett, Timothy Cole, and Myung-Ja Han. 2015. “Enhancing User Access through the Emblematica Open Emblem Portal.” In Emblems: Their Origins and their Impact: Selected Proceedings of the 10th International Conference of the Society for Emblem Studies, 27 July – 1 August 2014, Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel, edited by Ingrid Höpel and Simon McKeown (accepted). Kiel, Germany: Society for Emblem Studies. 10 pp. in manuscript.
- Green, Harriett, Mara Wade, Timothy Cole, and Myung-Ja Han. 2015. “User Engagement with Digital Archives: A Case Study of Emblematica Online.” In Creating Sustainable Community: The Proceedings of the ACRL 2015 Conference, edited by Dawn Mueller, 177-187. Chicago, IL: Association for College and Research Libraries. http://www.ala.org/acrl/files/conferences/confsandpreconfs/2015/Green_Wade_Cole_Han.pdf
- Green, Harriett E. 2014. “Collaborative Digital Pedagogy: Teaching Digital Humanities in the Classroom through Faculty-Librarian Collaborations.” In IFLA World Library and Information Congress 2014 Information Literacy Section Satellite Meeting: Facing the Future: Librarians and Information Literacy in a Changing Landscape Conference Proceedings, Limerick, Republic of Ireland, August 14th-15th, 2014, edited by Sharon Mader, Min Chou, Jaclyn Teo, Jerald Cavanaugh, and Padraig Kirby, 47–58. Limerick, Ireland: Limerick Institute of Technology Library and Information Resource Centre.
- Green, Harriett E., Kirk Hess, and Richard D. Hislop. 2012. “Incorporating Circulation Data in Relevancy Rankings for Search Algorithms in Library Collections.” Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Conference on eScience, October 8-10, 2012, Chicago, USA. pp. 1-6. doi: 10.1109/eScience.2012.6404447
- Cole, Timothy W., Myung-Ja Han, Doug Moncur, and Harriett E. Green. 2011. “Describing Collections & Collection Services for the BTP.” In DC-2011: Proceedings of the International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications, 21-23 September 2011, The Hague, Netherlands edited by Thomas Baker, Diane I. Hillmann and Antoine Issac, 74-79. United States: Dublin Core Metadata Initiative. http://dcpapers.dublincore.org/pubs/article/view/3634.
- Green, Harriett E. 2011. “One Isn’t the Loneliest Number: The Process of Merging a Departmental Library into a New Library.” NMRT Footnotes 40, no. 3: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/rts/nmrt/news/footnotes/february2011/one_isnt_the_loneliest_number_green.cfm.
- Fleming-May, Rachel and Harriett Green. “‘A Gutenberg Moment’: The Do-It-Yourself World of Online Literary Publishing.” Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association for Information Science and Technology, St. Louis, MO, November 6–10, 2015.
- Green, Harriett and Rachel Fleming-May. “Capturing Virtual Verse: A Needs Assessment on Access and Preservation of Online-Only Literature.” Paper presented at the Digital Humanities Conference, University of Western Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia, July 1–3, 2015.
- Green, Harriett. “User Assessment with Emblematica Online: A Case Study of Analyzing Scholarly User Engagement with Digital Humanities Research Initiatives.” Paper presented at the Canadian Society for Digital Humanities/Société canadienne des humanités numériques and Association for Computing in the Humanities Joint Conference. Ottawa, ON, Canada, June 1–3, 2015.
- Green, Harriett. 2015. “User Engagement with Digital Archives: A Case Study of Emblematica Online.” Paper presented at the Association for College and Research Libraries 2015 Conference, Portland, OR, March 25–28, 2015.
- Green, Harriett. 2015. “Virtual Verse in the Library: Capturing Online-Only Poetry for Scholarship and Preservation.” Paper presented at 2015 Modern Language Association Annual Convention, Vancouver, BC, Canada, January 8–11, 2015.
- Green, Harriett. 2014. “User Engagement with Digital Archives: A Case Study of Emblematica Online.” Presentation at the 2014 DLF Forum, Atlanta, GA. October 26–29, 2014.
- Green, Harriett. 2014. “Faculty-Librarian Collaborations in New Media Ecosystems: Developing an Assessment Rubric for Digital Literacy in the Humanities.” Paper presented at the Library Research Seminar VI, Urbana, IL, October 7–9, 2014.
- Green, Harriett. 2014. “Collaborative Digital Pedagogy: Teaching Digital Humanities in the Classroom through Faculty-Librarian Collaborations.” Paper presented at the 2014 IFLA World Library Congress Information Literacy Section Satellite Meeting, Limerick, Ireland. August 14-15, 2014.
- Green, Harriett. 2014. “Enhancing User Services in the Emblematica Online Portal.” Paper presented at the 10th International Conference of the Society for Emblem Studies, Kiel University, Kiel, Germany. August 1, 2014.
- Green, Harriett. “Libraries and Digital Pedagogy: Faculty-Librarian Partnerships to Teach Digital Humanities.” Paper presented at Data Driven: Digital Humanities in the Library conference. College of Charleston, Charleston, SC, June 21, 2014.
- Green, Harriett, Katrina Fenlon, Megan Senseney, Sayan Bhattacharyya, Craig Willis, Peter Organisciak, J. Stephen Downie, Timothy Cole, and Beth Plale. 2014. "Using collections and worksets in large-scale corpora: Preliminary findings from the Workset Creation for Scholarly Analysis project." Poster presented at iConference 2014, Berlin, Germany, March 4-7, 2014.
- Green, Harriett. 2013. “HathiTrust Research Center: Improving Scholarly Inquiry.” Project briefing presented at the Fall 2013 CNI Membership Meeting. Washington, DC, December 9–10, 2013.
- Green, Harriett. 2013. “Virtual Verse in the Library: A Needs Assessment for Indexing Online-Only Poetry.” Paper presented at the 2013 Chicago Colloquium for Digital Humanities and Computer Science. Chicago, IL, December 5–6, 2013.
- Green, Harriett. 2013. “Virtual Verse in the Library: A Needs Assessment of the E-Poetry Landscape.” Poster presented at Aligning National Approaches to Digital Preservation II: An Action Assembly. Barcelona, Spain, November 18–20, 2013.
- Green, Harriett. 2013. “Research Services on a Global Scale: The Role of Digital Libraries for Cross-Border Higher Education Initiatives.” Poster presented at 2013 DLF Forum. Austin, TX, November 4–6, 2013.
- Green, Harriett. 2013. “Building the Archive of Digital Humanities Research: Data Curation of Digital Humanities Projects in Libraries.” Paper presented at 2013 DLF Forum. Austin, TX, November 4–6, 2013.
- Green, Harriett. 2013. “Beyond the Scanned Image: A Needs Assessment of Faculty Users of Digital Collections.” Paper presented at Digital Humanities 2013 conference. Lincoln, NE, July 16–20, 2013.
- Green, Harriett. 2013. “Clusters of Books: Subject analysis tools for library catalogs.” Presentation at 2013 Association of College and Research Libraries conference. Indianapolis, IN, April 10–13, 2013.
- Green, Harriett. 2013. “Virtual Verse in the Library: Surveying the E-Poetry Landscape.” Poster presented at 2013 Association of College and Research Libraries Conference. Indianapolis, IN, April 10–13, 2013.
- Green, Harriett. 2012. "Libraries and the TEI: Teaching, Tutorials, and Tools." Paper presentation at the 2012 TEI Annual Members' Meeting and Conference, College Station, TX, November 7-9, 2012.
- Green, Harriett. 2012. "Surveying the Landscape of Digital Humanities Librarianship." Presentation at the DLF Forum 2012, Denver, CO, November 4-5, 2012.
- Green, Harriett. 2012. “What Are You Going to Do with That Data?: A Needs Assessment of Humanities Scholars and Digital Collections.” Paper presented at the KU Digital Humanities Forum 2012, Lawrence, KS, September 22, 2012.
- Green, Harriett. 2012. “Digital Humanities and Academic Libraries as Partners in Humanities Collaboratories.” University of Minnesota Libraries. Minneapolis, MN, February 17, 2012.
- Green, Harriett. 2012. “Collaborative Economies: Tools and Strategies for Scholars and Libraries.” Paper presented at MLA 2012 Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, January 7, 2012.
- Green, Harriett. 2012. “Digital Collections and Humanities Research: What Do Scholars Want?” Paper presented at MLA 2012 Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, January 6, 2012.
- Green, Harriett. 2011. “Bandits and Browsing: Effective Collection Size as a Way of Quantifying Search Efficiency.” Poster presented at DLF Forum 2011 conference, Baltimore, MD, October 31–November 1, 2011.
- Green, Harriett. "What Do Writers Want?: An analysis of literary magazine publications by humanities faculty and the role of literary magazines in scholarly communications." ACRL 2011, Philadelphia, PA: March 30–April 2, 2011.
- Green, Harriett. "Identifying and Prioritizing Collections and Repositories (take 2): The Case for Scholar Engagement and Needs Assessment." Project Bamboo Partners Meeting, Berkeley, CA: January 26, 2011.
- Green, Harriett. 2010. "Finding the Canary in Text Mining: Analysis of the Use and Users of MONK Text Mining Research Software." Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer Science, Evanston, IL: November 21–22, 2010.
- Alliance for Digital Humanities Organizations.
- American Library Association.
- Association for Computing in the Humanities.
- Association of College and Research Libraries.
- Association for Information Science and Technology.
- Literatures in English Section of ACRL.
- Modern Language Association.