Illinois History and Lincoln Collections
Search Manuscript Collection Descriptions
- or -
About the database
This database contains descriptions of manuscript materials held by the Illinois History and Lincoln Collections at the University of Illinois Library. The database includes descriptions for a substantial portion of the collections, but is not yet comprehensive.
Manuscript collections range from single letters and diaries to organizational records occupying fifty or more document cartons. Please see the IHLC website for more detail on the types of the collections held here and the various topics they cover.
Searchable information about collections in this database includes descriptions of the scope and content of materials (including names of people, organizations, and places, as well as topics and types of documents) as well as dates and acquisition information.
In addition, detailed lists of collection contents (box and folder lists) have been prepared for several hundred collections and are uploaded as PDF files. These inventories are NOT included in the general database search. These must be searched separately using the Google custom search function set up above.
Please contact us if you have any questions or if you would like to inquire about unprocessed collections without descriptions in this database.
- Note that the database will only return results that include all of your search terms
- To exclude a term, put a minus sign before the particular word (for example, bass -fish finds bass guitars but not bass fishing)
- Use double quotes to search for a phrase (for example, "Society of Friends")
Searching PDFs with Google
- After downloading a PDF inventory, use the "find" option (typically ctrl-F) to locate your search terms within the document
- Some PDFs were created from scanned copies of inventories and therefore the search accuracy may not be as high for these files
- If you would like to refine your search, please return to the search box above (Google will not remember that you are interested in searching only IHLC inventories)
- Remember that not every collection will have a detailed inventory; the database search must be used to locate these (often smaller) collections of manuscript materials