The Undergraduate Library (UGL) houses the primary audio-video collection within The Library. The collection serves the instructional and curricular needs of the campus community, as well as the individual study, scholarship, cultural enrichment, and recreational needs of students, faculty, and staff.
The media collection consists of non-print materials in a variety of formats such as DVD, Blu-ray VHS, video game, audio cassette, and CD. Items in the circulating collection are located on the lower-level of the UGL. Items on reserve are housed on the upper-level of the UGL at the Circulation Desk. In-house viewing and equipment is provided for most formats.
Disclaimer: The Library is not responsible for any damage that may occur on equipment as a result of media borrowed from the library.
Policies and Services
- Loan Periods
- Cancellations and Booking Modifications
- Fines and Fees
- Media Reserve Items
- Advance Bookings
- Advance Booking Instructions
Additional Media Resources
- How to Find Media
- Media Viewing Spaces
- Other Media Collections
- DRES: Video Captioning and Subtitles
- Loanable Technology
- Suggest an Item for Purchase
Policies and Services
Items in the Undergraduate Media Collection circulate to all patron types for a One Week loan. Most items can be renewed 3 times.
- Courtesy Card Patrons may check out only one game at a time.
If you receive an “Item Not Renewed” message, the item must be returned to the UGL. If a selected item cannot be renewed, the most likely causes are:
- It is a Media Reserve item, which cannot be renewed.
- The renewal limit has been reached.
- Another patron has an advance booking on the item.
Cancellations and Booking Modifications
The Requested Items section in the Library Catalog’s My Account feature lists all upcoming bookings that have been placed. The list includes the title, date, time, and pick-up location for each request.
- To cancel a booking, check the cancel box, then click the cancel selected requests button.
- Modifications to existing bookings cannot be made from My Account. To modify dates, times, or titles, please call the UGL Circulation Desk at (217) 333-3477 or email complete information to the UGL (email@example.com), including the original date, time and title(s), and the specific details you wish to change.
Return loanable technology items and video games to the UGL Circulation Desk to avoid late fees and to sign for the return of the item(s). Media items such as DVDs, Blu-ray, and CDs may be returned to a library bookdrop.
Fines and Fees
For billing questions, please fill out an Undergraduate Library Billing Inquiry form.
Late Fees, per item:
- Undergraduate Media Collection: $1.00 / day per item
- Media Reserve: $5.00 / hour per item
Lost Item Fees, per item:
- $ 105.00 (minimum) replacement fee per item, plus
- $ 30.00 late fee per item
For additional questions about the Media Collection and Media Circulation Policies, please contact the UGL: (217) 333-3477 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Media Reserve Items
Media Reserve items are restricted to in-building viewing only, unless being used by an instructor to teach a class.
- Instructors may check out library-owned Media Reserve items for up to 7 days. Personal copies of Media Reserve items may only be checked out by the instructor who owns them with an unrestricted loan period.
- Undergraduate students may check out Media Reserve items for 3 hours to use within the UGL at a viewing station or on a computer.
Advance Bookings are requests to checkout a media item at a specific time in the future.
- Faculty/instructors may make advance bookings for titles in the Undergraduate Media Collection and for Media Reserve items.
- Undergraduate Students may make advance bookings to view Media Reserve items within the library. Undergraduate Students cannot make advance bookings on items in the regular Media Collection.
Advance Booking Instructions
Your Library Patron Barcode Number (located on your i-card) is required at the time of your request. Advance Bookings will be held for 10 minutes past the requested start time before being made available to other patrons. Advance Bookings appear in the Library Catalog’s My Account feature, in the Requested Items section.
- Faculty and Instructors: E-mail a completed Media Booking Request Form to email@example.com. Advance Bookings must be picked up in person at the UGL Circulation Desk; campus mail delivery is not an option for media.
- Undergraduate Students: Request a media reserve title for viewing at a specific time in person at the UGL Circulation Desk or by calling (217) 333-3477.
- T.A. Pick-Up: If not picking up the item(s) yourself, you can designate a T.A. (or the person who will pick it up for you) as a Proxy Patron.
Placing Media Items on Reserve
To place media items on reserve, visit the Reserves Guide for Instructors.
Faculty/Instructors who wish to have someone else pick up and charge their media items must first authorize that person as a Proxy Patron. Allow 24-48 business hours for proxy authorization to be processed. The Proxy Patron must present a current i-card at the circulation desk and have the name of the faculty/instructor for whom the booking was made.
To obtain authorization, the Faculty/Instructor must complete and sign a “Proxy Form” available online and at the Circulation Desk on the second floor of the Main Library
For detailed information on Proxy Patrons, see: Proxy Authorization.
VHS Tapes and VHS Players
If a media item is only available on VHS, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request DVD replacements for VHS tapes you are accustomed to using for classroom showings and/or reserves.
To view VHS tapes using a VCR:
- The UGL has media viewing stations equipped with VHS players on the lower level of the library.
- The UGL has a VCR/DVD combo for checkout in the Loanable Technology collection. Please visit the Media Commons Loanable Technology page to reserve this item in advance.