|25,000 book collection at the discontinued Galesburg, IL branch of the University of Illinois is moved to the Urbana campus and placed on the first floor of the “General Library.”||The Third Annual Faculty conference at Allerton Park focused on the theme of “The Undergraduate Climate at the University.” A resolution was passed to recommend the establishment of an undergraduate library with separate space and collection.||Until 1978
The undergraduate library circulation system and initial use of the OCLC (Online Computer Library Center; which originally stood for Ohio College Library Center). This follows an experimental project during 1963-1968 involving serials control.
Ground breaks on the building.
The class of 1916 dedicates the courtyard to the memory of Edmund Janes James, president 1904-1920.
Professor A. Doyle Moore designs the lettering on the upper perimeter of the courtyard.
|Question Board is created and continues until today.
||“Typewriter size” computer terminals installed.|
|Class of 1991 spent $40,000 to re-landscape the courtyard.
||The latest plaza configuration on top of the roof was completed in 1992.
The previous version had a paver pattern that made little or no sense with traffic patterns.
The current planters were an addition made in the ’92 redesign.
|Large evergreen tree which stands in a concrete pot in isolation in the courtyard was planted, in addition to other landscaping by the class of 1916 for their 50th anniversary.
Block in lower level of UGL courtyard contains all the names of the students from the class of 1916 (done by A. Doyle Moore).
|First Chat (Instant Messaging) Service begins at the Library. This was initiated by David Ward of the Undergraduate Library and Kathleen Kern of the reference department. In 2009 they developed (through a grant) an enhanced chat service that can be made available to other libraries.
For more information see: http://www.library.illinois.edu/askus/
|DVDs begin to circulate – March 2005
Began on a trial basis and is now hugely popular.
Gaming Collection begins – 2006
Funds are devoted to creating a primary source archive of vintage and contemporary games; collecting secondary and supplementary research materials to facilitate investigation of various interdisciplinary aspects of gaming; and creating and designing an infrastructure to capture and provide access to the output of campus gaming initiatives, such as games created by UIUC faculty and corresponding research.
For more information see: http://www.library.illinois.edu/gaming/about.html
|Library planning results in a “library makeover” which reduced the number of carrels by half, created more collaborative space and collaboration rooms, and upgraded electrical/wifi and seating.
2007 Library IT Fee allows for extended UGL hours (open 24/5).
|Gaming Center opens
New Reference and Circulation Desks
Reconfigured and redesigned service desks.
|Busier than ever
First Book Scan Station at an academic library.