The mission of the Digital Preservation Program at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign University Library is to ensure continued access and use of digital materials stewarded by the library which have been identified as candidates for long-term preservation. Digital preservation procedures and policies implemented and applied are documented and continually evaluated for internal effectiveness, efficiency and alignment with the greater Digital Preservation community.
What is digital preservation?
The term digital preservation does not represent a single discreet action. As defined by the American Library Association, in short: “Digital preservation combines policies, strategies and actions that ensure access to digital content over time.” ( http://www.ala.org/alcts/resources/preserv/defdigpres0408 . Accessed 5/29/12)
These policies, strategies and actions are designed to ensure access to born digital content – content that originated in a digital form – as well as digital materials created through reformatting actions despite media failure or inevitable technological change.
Digital Preservation Management
The Preservation unit coordinates a comprehensive strategy to provide a reliable preservation services for the Library’s many formats of digital collections. The Preservation Unit manages the following digital reformatting services:
- Born digital materials : contact Tracy Popp, email@example.com
- Brittle books and newspapers : contact William Schlaack, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Media materials: contact Josh Harris, email@example.com
In addition, the Preservation unit coordinates the following digital preservation repository services:
- Medusa digital preservation service for content managed by the University of Illinois Library: contact Kyle Rimkus, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web archiving service for web content: contact Tracy Popp, email@example.com
- LOCKSS service for subscription electronic content: contact Kyle Rimkus, firstname.lastname@example.org
For general questions about digital preservation at the University of Illinois, contact Preservation Librarian Kyle Rimkus, email@example.com .
Policies, procedures, and technical information related to the library’s digital preservation efforts are available in the digital preservation documentation wiki .