Title: Policy for Library Benefits for Emeritus Library Faculty
Owner(s): Library Executive Committee
Original Date of Approval:
This policy establishes the nature and extent of Library benefits available for emeritus Library faculty and provides suggestions for addressing case-by-case situations that do not fall specifically under other categories.
Faculty Governance. Emeritus Library faculty are:
- Eligible to attend meetings of the Library faculty.
- Eligible to vote at meetings of the Library faculty if they have a 50% appointment in the Library.
- Eligible to serve on Library committees if they have a 50% appointment in the Library.
Access to Library Facilities. Emeritus Library faculty are:
- Not eligible to receive exterior building keys.
- Not eligible for office assignments.
- Eligible to receive interior keys only in special circumstances and at the discretion of the unit head.
Access to Technology. Emeritus Library faculty are:
- Not eligible to access the library’s servers.
- Not eligible to sign out technology from Library IT.
- Eligible to borrow from the Undergraduate Library’s loanable technology pool using their I-Card.
- Not eligible to be assigned phone equipment or a phone number.
Financial Support. Emeritus Library faculty are:
- Not eligible to receive Library professional development funds for conference travel, training, or other professional development activities.
- Eligible for funding from the Research and Publication Committee (RPC), in accordance with the conditions outlined on the RPC website (http://www.library.illinois.edu/committee/rpc/rpcpol.html). The combined amount awarded to any emeritus faculty should not exceed [a percentage defined by EC] of the total allocation to RPC for the coming fiscal year.
- May be eligible for other funds, as applicable. Emeritus Library faculty should contact the Dean of Libraries.
Other documents that address benefits for Emeritus faculty are:
- University Statutes http://www.bot.uillinois.edu/statutes
- Provost Communication 12 https://provost.illinois.edu/policies/provosts-communications/communication-12-policy-for-awarding-emeritusemerita-status/
- Library Bylaws http://www.library.illinois.edu/committee/bylaws/index.html
- Guide to Benefits and Services for Retirees http://www.humanresources.illinois.edu/retirees/RetirementGuide.pdf
- Campus Administrative Manual Policy on Retiree Benefits
August 15, 2016
Submitted by a working group appointed by the Executive Committee: Karen Hogenboom, Nancy O’Brien, and Carissa Phillips. Preliminary work and investigations conducted by Executive Committee members MJ Han, Nancy O’Brien, and Lynne Rudasill.