The University of Illinois Library supports its users’ right to privacy, and confidentiality, in concert with current law and statements from the American Library Association, the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, the Illinois Library Records Confidentiality Act and the University of Illinois’ statements on privacy including the Web Privacy Notice and the Campus Administrative Manual. Many of the Library’s policies relating to the maintenance of the right to privacy and confidentiality were articulated prior to the full development and application of many of the tools that we currently use, including the development of various social media outlets.
The work of this group should include, but not be limited to, the following issues:
- Patron privacy regarding the use of materials
- Patron privacy regarding the use of electronic media
- Retention/disposal of records to support library services, research, security and related activities
- Investigation of other areas for development of training related to privacy awareness for staff and users
- Recommendations regarding implementation and dissemination of privacy policies and best practices
Timeline & Process
The group is asked to provide a report to the Library’s Executive Committee regarding the restatement, replacement, or reaffirmation of the Library’s various privacy policies and suggest a way forward no later than July 31, 2015. To facilitate its work and engage others, the group should create a shared space for access to existing and draft documents.
Building upon the work of the Privacy Policies Working Group, this team is charged with developing procedures for reviewing and maintaining the Library’s policies regarding personal privacy in the use of Library materials and related Library records, and providing an articulation of these policies to our users. In addition, the group will identify gaps in current policy and practice regarding privacy and engage in the development of new policies, guidelines and best practices. Finally, the Group will consider and make recommendations on the Library’s role in educating our users about the privacy and security of their library records.
- Tom Habing, Co-Chair(Sep 2015 - Feb 2016)
- Karen Hogenboom, Co-Chair(Sep 2015 - Feb 2016)
- Melody Allison(Jul 2014 - Feb 2016)
- Jim Dohle(Jul 2014 - Feb 2016)
- Lisa Hinchliffe(Jul 2014 - Feb 2016)
- Lynne Rudasill(Jul 2014 - Feb 2016)
- Sue Searing, Chair(Jul 2014 - Sep 2015)
- Tom Habing(Jul 2014 - Sep 2015)