September 9, 2015 Meeting of Library Assessment Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

September 9, 20159:00 am - 10:30 am Main Library Room 323c

Agenda Details

Agenda

  1. Welcome and introductions
  2. Review agenda

No additions

  1. Review committee charge, roles, the LAC website, access to G-drive and LAC 2015-2016 Box folder.

3.1 Per the last sentence of the committee charge, the LAC should begin increasing effectiveness in evaluating its assessment and the committee/program. Suggestions include:

  • Further defining projects and programs
  • Keeping track of what the committee has accomplished and plans to accomplish

3.2 G-Drive cleanup and administration was discussed with regards to what LAC materials within G-Drive are essential and how they are organized. Suggestions from the committee as to what to purge are forthcoming via email. The committee also discussed the LAC folder in Box, which currently includes a short member update form to be completed by each member detailing ideas for the LAC, to be submitted in Box or to Jen by the end of September.

Action: Submit updates and LAC project ideas to Jen (via Box) by the end of September

  1. Projects for this year
  • Library Assessment Committee Grant Program (ongoing)

The Grant Program parameters, funding, rubric, and paperwork were reviewed. LAC plans to review previous grant projects and proposals to assess and improve the LAC grant rubric. (Specifically the projects from 2014-2015 of Jemma Ku and Lynne Rudasill.) LAC will then move forward with determining a deadline policy for future grant proposals. LAC will also determine the best way to reach out to potential grant recipients since there haven’t been many proposals. Other questions about the grant included whether a sub-committee should be formed for the timely approval of proposals and the best way to outline a workflow/process from the proposal submission to rejection/approval, and subsequently how these details should be reflected in the grant information packet. LAC also agreed that LAC Grant Proposal information needs to be added to the library information orientation checklist.

Action: Jen will update load the most updated version of the LAC guidelines, rubric, application and the timeline for review process into Box.

Action: Jen will contact responsible parties to include information about the grant in the new employee orientation checklist.

  • Ithaka Graduate Student Survey (plan to administer around October-November 2015)

This survey will be administered to international and STEM graduate students. An update from Lisa is forthcoming after she and Jen meet in October. Becky expressed interest in getting the core questions of the survey for the next LAC meeting. Jen asked committee members to submit their questions about the survey to her for her meeting with Lisa next month. (Specifically mentioned were the core questions and modules of the survey and student incentives to take the survey.)

Action: Submit questions regarding the Ithaka Graduate Student Survey to Jen and she will share them with Lisa.

  • Assessment Professional Development Funding (for Library Assessment Conference 2016 in D.C. area)

LAC agreed that more information is needed on this conference in advance notice for potential attendees. Lynn suggested staff from her department who may be interested in attending. Finding out if anyone wants to go should be done soon for budget reasons. (LAC needs to address whether LAC grant program funds can be allocated to this purpose.)

Action: We will discuss it early spring 2016

  1. Updates (Round-robin)

Lynn shared information about the new university press pilot projects. Susan A. shared information about her ACRL-Assessment in Action grant.

Minutes Details

Attendees

S. Avery, E. Kerby, J. Rimkus, B. Smith, J. Strutz, L. Wiley, J. Yu (ex officio), S. Chapman (ex officio) and E. Justiss (GA)