Time and Location of Meeting
September 6, 2012
Agenda not yet available.
IAS Library Faculty Staff Meeting
September 6, 2012
In attendance: Yuriko, Shuyong, Setsuko, Joe, Al, Mara, Xiaoping, Marek, Larry, Lynne, Atoma, Paula C., Kit, Maria, Steve, Dmitry, Jan, Debora
- Asian Stacks responsibility has now been transferred to CMS-CAS
- Thanks to everyone for all the hard work
- There will be no more call slips coming to the IAS Library.
- There will be a tailgate party for the football game on September 15 in the shuttle lot. The vehicle will be a vintage VW bus.
Mara demos the PB Wiki
- Invitations to participate have been sent out.
- Everyone can add his or her own contact info.
- There will also be an Out of Office calendar set up.
- One of the GAs should help to maintain this wiki.
- Should there be an emergency manual on the wiki?
- Paula C. says that LitLang doesn’t have an emergency manual; they tell staff to:
- Get everyone out of the unit
- Turn off lights
- Shut and lock door
- Vacate the premises
- A red binder with emergency procedures circulated at one time, but Jennifer Teper should be contacted about the most recent documentation regarding these procedures.
- IAS Serials and Microforms
- Staff time will be allocated for this
- Yuriko will be responsible for the maintenance of serials,
- She will work with Acquisitions regarding check-in.
- She will also work with the subject specialists regarding binding
- She will try to claim, if there is time, though Acquisitions does not claim any more.
- Xiaoping will be responsible for the reference collection and microform materials
- He will coordinate the system for shelving items in different languages
- Reference and User Services
- GA training is held on Fridays from 1-2pm; all faculty and staff are welcome.
- Subjects which have been, or will be covered: Circ desk, READ scale, PB wiki
- GA Projects and Responsibilities
- Brian—IAS webpage
- Christina—working with Marek, and also with Mara
- Denise—IAS webpage
- Ximin—Video media and wiki
- Ashley—working with Al, but she may also eventually work at the Circ Desk
- GAs work evening (4-7pm) and weekend IAS Service Desk hours.
- Generally, there is an undergraduate student assistant (SA) at the desk, and the GA works in Room 317.
- GA language capabilities: Polish, Chinese, Spanish
Reference and User Services Group: Joe will be added.
- Future meetings to be set up by Lynne
- Outreach and Marketing Group—
- meetings will be set up for the fall semester
- Bookmarks sent to Printing Services
- IAS participated in both Quad Day and Taste of Nevada
- Paula Carns explained Librarians Live at FLB
- Time: 10:45am-1:10pm on Mondays and Wednesdays
- Basically it’s just meet and greet: faculty and grad students
- It would also be possible to set this up at the Illini Union
- They talk about language learning, cultural studies, and literature
- They have a poster, give out one bookmark, plus candy
- IAS Searches and Vacancies
- Latin American and Caribbean faculty member arriving in December
- Middle East/North African Studies position
- We had two candidates on campus
- The search committee made a recommendation to Paula Kaufman
- Slavic Reference Manager: Kit Condill has been appointed as Interim Slavic Reference Manager
- Larry Miller has agreed to help with reference projects
- GALE has a new retrospective database—19th English language
- Lots of material on Asia, and especially South Asia
- The UIUC Library has purchased another unit of JSTOR
Joe Lenkart is a member of the Services Advisory Committee for the AUL for Services, Sue Searing.
- UIUC is in the process of purchasing Blackboard collaborate[formerly Elluminate]: http://www.blackboard.com/platforms/collaborate/overview.aspx
- a Web conferencing
- Online instruction services [worldwide]
- Users can participate free of charge
- Sessions can be archived
Video screen allows face-to-face interaction [specialized reference services
There were no Executive Committee reports
- The Mortenson Center meets once a semester
A South Asian Film Festival is planned for 2013
- Mara is on the International Outreach Council, and they are planning this festival
- There are several other South Asian film festivals and other related around the UIUC campus as well in 2013.
Paula Carns mentioned that Brazilian Independence Day is September 7, and that there would be a party.
- She is also putting up an exhibit.
The UIUC Library is short of Slavic cataloguers
Winters (who donated UIUC collection of Slavic posters) just donated some very rare pamphlets about a Czech politician to the UIUC collection.
Pamphlets are temporarily housed in Larry’s Office