Time and Location of Meeting
September 3, 20191:00 pm - 2:30 pm 428 Library
September 3, 2019
- Approve minutes – August 12th and August 21
- Question Time
- Agenda for AULs – 9/9
- Research Challenges Report
- PRC Assignments (Jessica Hagman and Janis Shearer)
- Dean’s budget discussion, part 1
- Search Chair Checklist
- Temporary PRC replacement for MJ
- BTAA “BIG Collection” initiative: call for volunteers
PRCs and mentoring in the tenure process” include the co-chairs of PTAC and FRC, as well as Heidi Imker
September 3, 2019
Present: Dean Wilkin, chair, David Ward, vice-chair; Lynne Thomas, Paula Carns, Mara Thacker, Jennifer Teper, Bill Mischo, Lynne Rudasill, Bill Maher. Recording-Lucretia Williams
- Approve minutes – Minutes from the August 12, 2019 and August 21, 2019 were approved by Jennifer Teper and second by Paula Carns.
- Question Time
Dean Wilkin discussed:
- Scott Koeneman is moving to a role in the central office of OVCIA. We are sorry to see him go, but are pleased for Scott. John is meeting with Susan Lee, the Senior Associate Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement, and will provide updates as soon as there is progress on next steps.
- John’s recent travel includes two meetings with ramifications for our work, including:
- o The invitational OA Tipping Point meeting organized by the University of California. Approximately a dozen institutions active in negotiating transformational agreements with publishers were invited, as well as European representatives who had also done considerable work in this area. John attended with Andy Suarez, our Head of the Department of Animal Biology and a professor of Entomology. The workshop was very helpful in better understanding transformational agreements and strategies for negotiating them. Suarez announced that he would be discussing the workshop with the LAS STEM department heads.
- o John is meeting with Ithaka later this week on strategies for sustainable funding for public domain collection digitization.
- Council of Deans will be meeting again regularly, beginning tomorrow. Provost Cangellaris has a new assistant, Theresa Beckett.
- We are in the process of ending our work for the American Bibliography of Slavic and East European Studies (ABSEES). Individuals associated with IASL and campus partners are looking for a new home for ABSEES.
- Agenda for AULs on 9/9: EC would like for the AULs to discuss:
- Collective Collections
- Regular round robin
- Funding Proposal request
- Research Challenges Report – Heidi Imker is still gathering information.
- PRC Assignments: Jessica Hagman is assigned to Cait Coker and Karen Hogenboom. Janis Shearer is assigned to Peg Burnette and Jenny Johnson. Lynne Rudasill will fill in on Jenny Maddox Abbot’s PRC while MJ Han is away.
- Dean’s budget discussion, part 1 – Dean Wilkin presented an in-depth exploration of issues surrounding the budgetary processes impacting the University Library. This included a review of the effects of flat allocations and rising costs. At this point, the picture appears to be somewhat brighter as he has been able to negotiate a favorable path forward with the campus administration. He indicated it was time to plan for strategic growth.
- Search Chair Checklist – Paula Carns will work with Jake MacGregor on updating the wording to the Search Chair Checklist. Updates will be discussed at the next EC meeting. They will possibly add suggestion for a written statement about the candidate’s research agenda.
- Temporary PRC replacement for MJ – Lynne Rudasill will fill in on Jenny Maddox Abbot’s PRC while MJ is away. You can just eliminate this here or under #5 since it is the same topic.
- BTAA ‘Big Collection’ initiative- EC discussed the suggestion for self-nominations and thought that would be a good idea, although three AULs were initially suggested to fill in the spots. John indicated that this would be a lot of work and it was decided to put out a call asking for self-nominations that identify the individual’s expertise. The deadline will be Sept. 10. We are urged to encourage individuals to come forward. John can only nominate 3 people to fill the spots. Steve Witt was mentioned as a possible candidate for the group dealing with collections.