September 14, 2020 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

September 14, 20201:30 pm - 3:00 pm Zoom Meeting

Agenda Details

Agenda

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

AGENDA

September 14, 2020

1:30-3:00pm

Zoom Meeting

 

 

 

  1. Approve minutes – August 24
  2. Question Time
  3. Cataloging Coordinator position Description
  4. Guidance request from RPC
  5. Visiting Design and Materials Research Librarian
  6. 2-2:30pm – AULs and Directors
  7. 2:30-3:00 – Faculty Agenda Committee Chairs
  8. Divisional Nominations for Outreach and Engagement Committee
  9.  Wellness Committee Charge

 

Minutes Details

Minutes

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Minutes

September 14, 2020

1:30-3:00 pm

Zoom Conference Call

 

EC Attendees: John Wilkin (Chair); William Maher (Vice-Chair); Dan Tracy (Secretary); Mara Thacker, Mary Laskowski, David Ward, Kelli Trei, Jennifer Teper, and Peg Burnette. Lucretia Williams; Recording

 

Invited Attendees: Faculty Agenda Committee Chairs: Joe Lenkhart and Cait Coker

 

Due to a full agenda and no pressing topics, the AUL’s and Directors did not attend this EC meeting.

 

  1. Minutes of the August 24, 2020 EC minutes meeting were approved with corrections to the attendee list upon the motion by Jennifer Teper and second by William Maher.

 

  1. Question Time – Dean Wilkin informed EC we have not received a budget allocation. Dean Wilkin is in constant communication with Susan Edwards. Dean Wilkin’s last meeting with the Provost was very encouraging and we should see something soon, and Dean Wilkin will inform everyone when he hears something.

 

Dean Wilkin updated EC that there is no salary program this year. Due to COVID there were delays with getting these letters out to everyone. Lucretia will be sending out the salary letters soon to everyone even though there is no salary program.

 

Dean Wilkin had a very productive meeting with campus administrative officials, Provost Office, and IHR regarding the AP Promotion Program, which has been running as a Pilot. We were asked to address steps in our process to address questions from IHR and the Provost’s Office. Jake MacGregor and Skye Arseneau are assisting with this process and will be coordinating with the committee. The adjustments are not expected to pose a major challenge, and once implemented will move us out of the pilot phase.

 

  1. Cataloging Coordinator position description – Mara Thacker explained to EC some of the rewritten language and changes of the Cataloging Coordinator position description. This is an AP position. There will be further communication with IHR to discuss language clarity. EC was satisfied with the rewritten changes.

 

 

  1. Guidance request from RPC – EC discussed a request from RPC regarding input on how to address a request that was recently received [from a tenure-track faculty member] for a small amount of RPC funding to go towards a small article processing fee (APC). The RPC recommendation for moving forward would be to consider these requests case by case basis in light of a multitude of circumstances (to be determined) and RPC could set aside a pool of $1,000 and use that just for APCs and only for this year as a pilot. This would exclude high priced APCs and continue to support the publication needs of our tenure-track faculty. This topic could also possibly be discussed at a future meeting.

 

EC will support the request for the £100.00 (which at the current exchange rate is about $131 USD) and the idea of a pilot for this fiscal year. There is a desire to see a more rigorous investigation; both of what is happening on the campus level and the development of criteria. Having a more detailed description of the proposed pilot would be useful.

 

EC will recommend to RPC that they further this communication with the OVCRI and at the end of the year report back to EC about the pilot and what might be required to move forward.

 

  1. Visiting Design and Materials Research Librarian – EC would like to have some minor language changes to the Visiting Design and Materials Research Librarian job description for clarity. EC also selected committee members and Lucretia will reach out to those members suggested to determine their willingness to serve and then report back to EC.

 

  1. 2:30-3:00 – Faculty Agenda Committee Chairs – Cait Coker/Joe Lenkhart – Dean Wilkin opened the discussion by noting EC’s interest in broadening engagement. This topic will be added to the next Faculty Meeting agenda for a more open and broader discussion; whether or not we want to move to a different model (including the number of faculty meetings per semester); and what that model will look like. This discussion needs to include what faculty need out of faculty meetings specifically vs what can or should be addressed in broader forums (e.g., lightning talks of broader interest).

 

  1. Divisional Nominations for Outreach and Engagement Committee – Tabled to be discussed at a future EC Meeting.

 

  1. Wellness Committee Charge – Tabled to be discussed at a future EC Meeting.