Time and Location of Meeting
October 8, 20121:30 pm - 3:00 pm 428 Main Library
1. 1:30 – Beth Woodard-update on searches
2. Approve minutes from October 1
3. Question Time
4. AUL reviews-new process?
5. Strategic Plan – David and Chris
6. Nominations for Honorary Degrees
7. Search Procedure Manual
Paula Kaufman, chair; Chris Prom, vice-chair; Sarah Shreeves, secretary, Nancy O’Brien, Carissa Phillips, Lynne Rudasill, John Wagstaff, David Ward; Visitor-Beth Woodard
- 1:30 – Beth Woodard-update on searchesBeth updated EC on the status of the different searches and confirmed members for some of the search committees.
An Affirmative Action Officer is no longer required to sign off in Hire Touch, but it is important to have someone reviewing job descriptions, and search processes. A Diversity Advocate (DA) does not have to be on the search committee, but the agreement of EC was that having a member of the search committee serve as a DA would be most effective whenever possible. There will be a designated DA for each search committee. A DA reviews job ads, diversity recruitment, and helps the committee decide if they did everything they could to get a diverse pool.
Paula reminded everyone that it’s not just where you advertise; it’s reaching out and making contacts. There is training available for DA’s, but it is not required.
- Approve minutes from October 1Accepted with changes
- Question TimeTwo personnel issues were discussed.
EC discussed the current efforts to change how positions are classified in the University. Currently there is a proposed rule change before a state legislative board that would give the Civil Services Commission control over whether a position is classified as a civil service position or an academic professional position. The University is arguing against this rule change and states that it would decrease the flexibility of the University as well as increase the bureaucracy. This discussion was prompted by a story that appeared in the News-Gazette on October 6, 2012.
Does Library have a list of peer institutions for 3Y cases? It was suggested that P&T could put together a list.
- AUL reviews-new process?The AULs are still working on a proposal for a new review process. EC will add this to the agenda next time it meets with AUL. EC agreed that it would be good to at least have goals from the AULs for this year.
- Strategic Plan – David and ChrisIn the October feedback period, people will suggest any projects that need to be listed on the plan. The committee has received a few comments already. A small group will pull all the information together and get it posted on the web for feedback.
- Nominations for Honorary DegreesEC decided not to nominate anyone this year.
- History LibrarianEC discussed the best way to advertise for this position in lieu of the pending deliberations of the Humanities Hub Planning Team.
- Search Procedure ManualNancy and John submitted their changes and ask that EC members make any additional changes to the document on the G: drive.