October 26, 2020 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

October 26, 20201:30 pm - 3:00 pm Zoom Meeting

Agenda Details




October 26, 2020


Zoom Meeting




  1. Approve minutes – October 12, 2020
  2. Question Time
  3. Emeritus Request
  4. Extension Request for Library Strategic Funding Grant
  5. PRC Replacement
  6. PRC Assignment
  7. 2-2:30 Co-chairs/Chairs of LSSC and LCAP
  8. DEIA Task Force Charge and Membership
  9. PSED Coverage of the Mathematics Library
  10. Feedback on Use of Faculty Meetings
  11. EC Meeting Documents on webpage
  12. Metadata Librarian Technology Search Committee

Minutes Details




October 26, 2020

1:30-3:00 pm

Zoom Conference Call


EC Attendees: John Wilkin (Chair); William Maher (Vice-Chair); Dan Tracy (Secretary); Mara Thacker, Mary Laskowski, David Ward, Kelli Trei, Jennifer Teper, and Peg Burnette. Lucretia Williams; Recording


Invited Attendees: LSSC/LCAP Chairs and Co-Chairs: Rachel Johns, Erik Chapman, John Laskowski, and Jake MacGregor


  1. Minutes – The October 12, 2020 EC meeting minutes were approved with minor typographical corrections and clarification to a point in an AUL report upon the motion by William Maher and second by Kelli Trei.


  1. Question Time – Dean Wilkin discussed the following with EC:


  • Hiring Plan – There is now a clearer sense of what the hiring plan parameters will be. The colleges with student enrollment have already received their directive. The Library will be asked to do an annual hiring plan. In the language it’s clear that there is room for filling positions off cycle, and there is mention of exceptional circumstances. In the directions it is clear that part of this is in preparation for FY22 Budget Reductions.


  • Academic Program Review – There was a request from the Provost for us to do this in the spring 2021. Dean Wilkin expressed concern that this would be too soon, and this will now happen no sooner than Fall 2021. We will revisit as we get closer, and there is a clear understanding that we will need to be back into something that looks like more like ‘normal’ operational circumstances post-COVID.


  • FY22 Budget Reductions – The targets are to be determined. Dean Wilkin and Susan Edwards have been in communication with the Provost’s Office.


After a point was raised about procedure, EC discussed and approved the committee appointed Outreach and Engagement Committee Chair.



  1. Emeritus Request – EC approved an Emeritus status request for Tim Cole.


  1. Extension Request for Library Strategic Funding Grant – EC approved the extension request for a Library Strategic Funding Grant.


  1. PRC Replacement – EC appointed new PRC replacement. Lucretia will reach out to them via email and then inform EC of their response.


  1. PRC Assignment – EC appointed new PRC members. Lucretia will reach out to them via email and then inform EC of their responses.


  1. 2:30-3:00 – LSSC and LCAP Chairs/Co-Chairs – EC is interested in the perspective of the committees on inclusion and climate and what needs the most attention now.



  • LCAP updated EC on their last committee meeting. LCAP appreciates EC taking the initiative to be inclusive of Academic Professionals and the clear desire for greater inclusivity. What could help with inclusivity? It’s important to be mindful of the way and how efforts are communicated. Specifically, how the tone and context of the communication may come across to those who weren’t part of the original discussion and weren’t in a position to know the original context.
  • LCAP also expressed to EC that members from some support units that aren’t necessarily from library backgrounds, sometimes feel that they don’t have a voice at all, because they get brought in after the decision was made.
  • LCAP does hope to have an Academic Professionals forum later in the year where they could solicit more input widely from Academic Professionals.


  • LSSC discussed the Library Hangouts; overall they are well liked. Some questions from LSSC were:
    • Logistics on attending the hangouts for people who are on premise and staff who have different hours.
    • How can we provide staff with basic equipment and time to attend hangouts when they might have other responsibilities that they may have to attend to during that time?
    • Are there ways to facilitate some level of participation by staff who cannot attend?
    • For the recorded/archived hangout, can there be a recap email that highlights important information for those not in attendance?


  • DEIA Task Force Charge and Membership – Discussion continued on this topic with input from LSSC and LCAP representatives. The committee and representatives affirmed that the task force needs to focus on the library, but remember the context of the greater community. Dean Wilkin asked EC, LSSC, and LCAP to give some attention to the Task Force proposal and to be prepared to move forward on this discussion at the next EC meeting on Monday, November 2, 2020. LCAP provided some specific instructions. LSSC will be providing feedback soon.



  1. PSED Coverage of the Mathematics Library – Dean Wilkin briefed EC on Tim Cole’s retirement and the proposal for coverage of the Mathematics Library and that includes an interim appointment following an internal search. EC will act as the search committee in both of these cases. Mary Laskowski and Dan Tracy will work to ensure that the job description is in good order.


  1. Feedback on the Use of Faculty Meetings – Tabled and will be discussed at the next EC meeting on Monday, November 2, 2020.


  1. EC Meeting Documents on webpage – A question was raised about the status of EC meeting documents on the website, which haven’t been posted recently. Lucretia Williams will work with Dan Tracy to get the Library EC webpage up to date with recent EC meeting documents. For future meetings, it will also be added in the final minutes if there are meeting documents included.


  1. Metadata Librarian Search Committee – Tabled and will be discussed at the next EC meeting on Monday, November 2, 2020.