October 17, 2012 Meeting of Library Faculty Meeting

Time and Location of Meeting

October 17, 20123:00 pm - 4:30 pm 126 GSLIS

Agenda Details


Call to Order


Standing Items:

Adoption of the Agenda – Paula Kaufman


Approval of Minutes – Paula Kaufman


Introductions – Paula Kaufman


Report of the University Librarian (15 min – Paula Kaufman)


Executive Committee Discussion Items (15 min– Chris Prom)


Primo Overview (10 minutes – Michael Norman and Jenny Emmanuel)


International Partnerships (20 minutes– Paula Kaufman, Bill Mischo, Mary Schlembach).  This is a presentation about developing a new partnership model with Kyushu University related to information management and research intensive science.


Lightning Round (5 minutes)

Explore CU (Sarah Christensen, Merinda Hensely, Sarah Shreeves)


New Business





Minutes Details


Call to Order


Standing Items:

Adoption of the Agenda – Paula Kaufman.  Paula also made a special remark to welcome Rod Allen back.

Approval of Minutes – Paula Kaufman.  Minutes were approved with a motion by Nancy O’Brien and seconded by Lynn Wiley

Introductions – Paula Kaufman

  • Michael Norman introduced William Weathers, visiting Metadata Librarian.  He started working in August and is a graduate of the Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS).
  • Nancy O’Brien introduced two faculty members: Peg Burnette, the new Biomedical Sciences Librarian, who has worked at the other UI campuses and Kelly McCusker, the New Behavioral Sciences Librarian and web coordinator for the Social, Health And Education Library (SSHEL)  This past year she worked at SSHEL as an academic hourly


Report of the University Librarian Paula Kaufman

  • Paula mentioned that the Chancellor’s Visioning Excellence Initiative now has a web page with word clouds that represent work over the past year with many of us in various venues.  The page (linked off the Chancellor’s page) is: http://www.oc.illinois.edu/visioning/themes.html.
  • Searches:
    • The search for the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Innovation in Undergraduate Studies will be a campus search, to be posted soon.  Paula has a draft available.
    • Searches that will be launched soon:  Dean of Engineering, with Gene Robinson as the chair.  They will use a search firm; Dean of Veterinary Medicine with Tanya Gallagher as the chair; the University Librarian, chaired by Deba Dutta; and the new Director for the National Center for SuperComputing Application (NCSA) chaired by Rob Rutenbar.
    • Cora Marrett, Deputy Director of the National Science Foundation (NSF) visited the campus today.  During her meeting with the deans, the first question she asked was “What are you doing about data management?”  Paula mentioned that this topic was clearly on people’s minds and came up repeatedly.
    • The Data Stewardship Committee, under Beth Sandore’s leadership, will have a plan by the end of December listing resources the campus will need (including people).  The plan will be submitted to Peter Schiffer, Vice Chancellor for Research, who will then take it forward to the Provost and Chancellor with the request for the resources identified in the plan.
    • There is renewed interest from university administration to reduce the reserves held by colleges and departments.  Paula has a long list of library endowment funds with significant amounts of monies and urged people who are overseeing these funds to spend them or let Paula or Vicki Trimble know why they are accumulating them.  Sometimes money is accumulated for large purchases. Questions arise regarding why departments with large unspent endowments would need to ask for additional monies.  Paula also reminded us that it is also important to indicate what is being bought from those funds so that donors will know.  This communication is important.
    • Paula summarized the main points from the HathiTrust summary judgment that was handed down last week.
      • It makes no comments about orphaned works (perhaps because Michigan has suspended its process).  However, if digital copies of orphaned works are made available—Michigan might resume their work.  The Chancellor and President Easter are interested in us going in that direction but we need to consider legal risks.
      • The court held that it is a transformative use of digital material to do mass digitization to use for indexing and searching.  Section 108 of copyright law (Author’s Guild sued various vendors and argued that it negates the fair use of the copyright act.) validates fair use.  The judge held that it is not only legal, but we have a responsibility to digitize our materials for print challenged users. (copyrighted materials can be made available to visually challenged users, but not made available to anyone else).
      • The Chief Counsel for IMLS (the Institute of Museum and Library Services) emphasized (through the National Federation for the Blind ) that universities, thus libraries and public libraries, are obligated to NOT offer alternatives for print challenged users—but to offer equal access.  If the Nook is not accessible you can’t offer it by saying you have a Kindle). That is her interpretation of the current law. There might be difficult accessibility issues to deal with down the road.

Executive Committee Discussion Items (15 min– Chris Prom)

  • The most recent Executive Committee minutes were posted online
    • The Colloquium Committee has been disbanded.  Chris shared that reasons were:  the committee was small and there wasn’t a broad representation; there were concerns over the past several years that the speakers didn’t garner the number of attendees hoped for; that it may not have been the best use of Faculty member’s time to handle the logistics of arranging for the speakers, including, travel, lodging and dinners.  David Ward added that the decision actually occurred last year, but perhaps there wasn’t effective communication regarding that.  Another goal was to respond to the desire to pare down committees. There have been conversations with GSLIS about working together to bring speakers to campus for combined programs. The current process now is to take proposals to the Executive Committee if there are speakers of interest to bring to campus.  They will look at mechanisms to support the proposal with recommendations then passed on to Paula to determine resources to allocate.  Suggestions regarding this new process included: send out periodic calls for proposals to encourage submissions similar to the current ICR funding proposals; create a place to go to make a proposal (rather than just to the executive commit); create a simple application form or process; think about a message to communicate for bringing in speakers to address topics that are timely and important.  Chris reiterated that it is critical to our mission as faculty to bring in speakers and the Executive Committee has this topic on their November 12 agenda to further discuss how the Library can support proposing a speaker and also the process.
    • Job title changes have been sent to Donna Hoffman and Library Human Resources and are being processed.  It is a very time consuming process, but will result in a new notification of appointment form for each person.  Instead of the title Assistant (or Associate or Full) Professor of Library Administration, the new title will be Assistant (or Associate or Full) Professor, University Libraries.  The current primary title will be become the secondary title, e.g. Assistant University Archivist.  It will be easier to process secondary titles in the future.  Please review the notification form when it comes.
    • Update on search process for Paula Kaufman

The Executive Committee and the Associate University Librarians  met with Ilesanmi Adesida (Ade), the Provost, and Barb Wilson, the Associate Provost on October 8.  It was a full and interesting discussion of the characteristics to look for in a new University Librarian and for future visions for the library.  They talked about the issues raised at September’s faculty meeting.  Barb and Ade listened carefully to the advice we gave.  The Executive Committee put together a small working group to be used by the search committee to create a profile for the position. Tom Teper took the lead at drafting the document that was presented to Ade and Barb.  They will continue to refine the document and will give it to the search committee to use for the search description and to potential candidates for the position.

Primo Overview

Click here to see the slide presentation.

  • Michael Norman and Jenny Emanuel did a brief overview of Primo (the new webscale discovery platform.  Michael and Jenny discussed why Primo was chosen, how it fits into our environment (especially with the use of SFX and Ferber- to group similar items together). The group spent four years choosing a product. There are two parts to Primo:  Primo and Primo Central. Primo is the interface and Primo Central is the index contained in it (Ex Libris records and our records from Voyager).
  • They have been conducting information sessions:  first today and more to follow in October and November. (See the Library event calendar for dates and times.)  Michael talked about the timeline for the next few months this is open to the Library, for feedback, comments and suggestions.  The hard roll out will be after January 1, with a link on the front gateway for the new search portal. Then have a lot of promotion of system.  Phase 1 will be: online catalogs, journals, databases, the Knowledgebase, Libguides, and UIUC digital collections.  This will be part of an ongoing basis as they add collections. Phase 2 will give them a chance to pull in the other collections:  Archives, Archon, digitalized newspapers, Atlas streaming video.  HathiTrust is not in the Primo index yet.  It was excluded for now because of duplication problems (serial titles).  Ex Libris is working on this so we can pull them back into the index.
  • There is an end user FAQ page: http://www.library.illinois.edu/committee/capt/webscale/userfaq.html.  Michael and Jenny encourage everyone to leave feedback either on the FAQ page or from the main UIUC primo page at: http://uofi-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com:1701/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?&vid=UIU


International Partnerships

Paula Kaufman introduced the partnership that Bill Mischo and Mary Schlembach are part of with Kyushu University in Japan.  She provided a context for this partnership and how Bill and Mary are going beyond simply exchanging publications.  She mentioned how UIUC has 100s of partnerships abroad, but in this case it is different and something is happening.  See PowerPoint on Library Faculty committee page.


Mary and Bill provided an overview of the partnership which is with the International Institute for Carbon-Neutral Energy Research (I2CNER) —based at Kyushu University.  The objective is to facilitate the use of hydrogen as an energy resource. Bill and Mary have been working on the collaborating with the various research groups working on the project.  The Library cooperative agreement is one part of the multi-national agreement. Some of the tools they are working on are:

GrIPT (Group Information Productivity Tool)

  • Implementation of a custom database (including work by Josh Bishoff) – which has a HUbzero platform. Part of this is creating social networking tools to share documents, similar to Box.com.
  • Joint data curation and stewardship structure
  • Deposit reports for institutional repositories (coordination and assistance)
  • Shared web-scale discovery system applications (journal/article locater, Google news, quick links to relevant journals , Easy Search for energy research, and  a citing article section via Scopus)

One of the cooperative aspects is to develop tools that can be used at any of the affiliate national research facilities.  This is portable and goes through their proxy server and system.  This page loads from tables in databases.  Researchers can run the productivity tools from different world locations and each goes through their own institution’s proxy server.


This is one piece within a much larger project. It is a huge international project and the library is playing a significant role. Various disciplines are involved in the project from chemistry, physics, materials science to geology, oceanic science and K-12 STEM education.


Mary mentioned that they hope to apply GrIPTs to all the research groups.  This is like a social networking platform for energy scientists—one site they can all go to for the exchange of information and data (whether in Switzerland, Japan, China or the United States, for example). They are working on adding storage for data sets.


Chris Prom noted that this is marketed as a research productivity tool and could see possibilities for data stewardship and archival benefits of a tool like this (institutional repository) and developing social networks in an archival context.


Paula mentioned this as a model going forward and encouraged us to look for ways to extend this type of collaboration. She noted that subject librarians should be very aware of partnerships being developed and to offer tools and capabilities to help these groups do what they need to do.  We can forge these types of arrangements with counterparts, even if not so much in the technical realm, but to offer expertise to collaborate.  She encouraged us to use our international contacts and to think of partnerships for proposing doing different things, which could include offering our skills or gaining them.  She also said we should be aware of the types of research in our departments and emergence or existence of these research areas or opportunities.


Lisa Hinchliffe asked if there was a process for those who are interested or involved, such as the EResearch Task Force.  Beth Sandore mentioned that Mary Schlembach is a member of the EResearch Task Force and members of the Task Force will make a presentation at the November Faculty Meeting. She also noted that everyone should be involved in the forum for EResarch, especially as we begin to explore the evolving models of subject librarian partnerships and immigrating eresearch into subject library activities, as well as staff and professional roles too.

The web page is: http://www.library.illinois.edu/committee/eresearch_task_force/eresearch_task_force_charge.html


Lightning Round   “Explore CU”

Sarah Christensen, and Merinda Hensley discussed a mobile application that they developed, along with Sarah Shreeves as part of a Library Innovation grant awarded last spring.  The partnership is between the University Library and College of Fine Arts.  The mobile application was designed to bring together the arts and history of Champaign (with materials from our collections to start with) and allows users to get information as they tour the area.


The left side of the App provides a “take a tour section” and is organized around an idea (Champaign park districts, Urbana parks, Allerton park, and locations included in tour).There is a Google map with an overlay of locations.  In addition to clicking on an item or browsing, there are stories related to each item, links to a twitter handle and email address.  For example, a geolocation of a place is provided, along with its location on Google maps (and provides directions to get from one location to the next). Information about the artist or architect is provided, the type of work it is, location, text from the resource (art on campus), and images from archives.  The backend is supported by Omeca. They will be adding captions and the source for the images. Eventually they hope to add audio and video files and would like to involve the community in generating content (crowd sourcing).


The placeholder for the app is Explorecu.org.


New Business




  • Sue Searing asked Paula Kaufman to read a reminder that sweeps week is next week and to use Desk Tracker to record transactions.
  • Next Friday, October 26, is the campus celebration of 150th anniversary of the Morrill Act. There will be activities all day, including a performance by Scott Schwartz’s group. There will be exhibits all over campus, including one prepared by Melody Allison in ACES.
  • Next Friday is also Homecoming.  A new event this year will occur at 3:30 with former student workers coming to a reunion in the Marshall Gallery.  Paula will ask them to identify the decade when they worked and to share stories.
  • Lisa Hinchliffe wished everyone a Happy Information Literacy events month. She said there is a lot of work happening nationally to get it recognized in all the states.  Now, 35 of the states recognize it (including Illinois). She hopes it will become an annual event and that people will think about ideas for next year. She also reminded people that the final webinar is Thursday at 2:00 in room 428.


Adjournment 4:25.

Related Documents