October 12, 2020 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

October 12, 20201:30 pm - 3:00 pm Zoom Meeting

Agenda Details




October 12, 2020


Zoom Meeting


  1. Approve minutes – October 5, 2020
  2. Question Time
  3. Search for Associate Director of DEIA – Review committee.
  4. 2-2:30 AUL’s/Directors
  5. DEIA Draft Charge
  6. Continued Discussion of Inclusivity; Best Approach to Survey or Assessment
  7. Feedback on Use of Faculty Meetings

Minutes Details




October 12, 2020

1:30-3:00 pm

Zoom Conference Call


EC Attendees: John Wilkin (Chair); William Maher (Vice-Chair); Dan Tracy (Secretary); Mara Thacker, Mary Laskowski, David Ward, Kelli Trei, Jennifer Teper, and Peg Burnette. Lucretia Williams; Recording


Attendees: Sara Holder, Chris Prom, and Tom Teper



  1. Minutes – The September 14, 2020 EC meeting minutes were approved upon the motion by Kelli Trei and second by Mary Laskowski.


  1. Question Time – Dean Wilkin noted the Provost’s continuing interest in piloting the academic program review process (now currently only used for units that enroll students) in the Library. He also noted that while in-person classes will go online after fall break, there are limited exceptions (specifically the College of Medicine), and some students may remain in town. Students who do remain will continue to need an active negative Covid status to access facilities.


  1. Search for Associate Director of DEIA – Review Committee – EC appointed members to serve on the Associate Director of DEIA Search Committee. Lucretia will reach out to those appointed members and then inform EC of their responses. Once confirmed Lucretia Williams will inform HR and scheduled the Kick-off meetings.


  1. 2-2:30 AULs /Directors –


     David Ward –

  1. Discussed UGL/main library group planning; RIS/SC/UGL discussions already underway
  2. Library workshop series – Thursday 10/29 at 3pm first session
  3. Investigating integrating info lit into campus teaching; developing a program for next year
  4. Working with Jen and Lisa and LAC on ACRL/ARL instruction stats; new asynchronous statistic to report for this year
  5. BTAA PS group – Maurice York presentation; Purdue libraries re-org discussion


    Chris Prom –

Academic Affairs:

Digital Strategies:

  • iReports System (better financial reporting) is being implemented by Wendy Balthazor and IT, with support from College of VetMed (is hosted by them so no cost to us). Will pilot with a few people, first.
  • Primo catalog profile for special collections: in the works.
  • IT positions moving forward—
    • IT support specialist (equipment, networking, AV support) instead of System Analyst, due to increased demands (COVID related).   Systems Analyst is higher level work that would be picked up by other staff.
    • Application Integration Developer (sits in IMS group)
  • Digital fulfillment and workflows—will be presenting at HathTrust Community Week: https://www.hathitrust.org/2020-hathitrust-community-week
  • Alma reporting—working group to be formed.
  • Proposed MOU for statewide repository service in process


Sara Holder –

  • The UGL/Main Library Integration Working Group will have their kickoff meeting at the beginning of November.


Tom Teper –

In Acquisitions and Cataloging Services:

Everything is moving along smoothly with Alma – albeit a bit slowly as folks learn the ropes.

    • Acquisitions personnel are developing fund reports which will be rolled out at an upcoming CDC meeting. They are also looking at the Alma Analytics module
    • Cataloging work is moving forward quickly. Since Alma came up, cataloging personnel have processed over 8,500 physical items, eliminating most backlogs that developed as a results of the migration/pandemic double-whammy. At this point, all firm and blanket orders are caught up (with the exception of some art materials). Periodicals are the only items backed up.


  • The Illinois Digital Heritage Hub Grant is almost done. This will go to the Illinois State Library, and funds our contribution to the partnership in support of the DPLA’s Illinois Hub.
  • The E-Resources Management Librarian search is moving along swiftly with anticipated submission of recommendations for full interviews this week.
  • Library Building Project
    • The campus is in the final phases of getting signed documents to authorize going ahead with the next phase of the project – A/E selection. Our target to move ahead is to have everything lined up for a BOT presentation to authorize further work in September 2021.
    • The Special Collections WG is revised and subgroups are starting to meet.
    • Lastly, we have started to look at pivoting the messaging around the project away from the project as a whole and toward fund raising for the remainder of the Special Collections and Archives project.


Mary Laskowski –

  • Meeting with each division to discuss my new role as Director of Library Fulfillment to both find out if there are current challenges I can be helping with and also longer term goals
  • Update on the Assistant Dean search
  • Moving forward with the BTAA Shared Print Repository as best as possible, while they are still on hold with the Google Book Digitization Project
  • Print delivery through the locker system in the Marshall Gallery will continue past November 20th, but we will reduce the hours available



  1. DEIA Draft Charge/Appointing DEIA Task Force – Postponing discussion for a future EC meeting.


  1. Continued discussion of Inclusivity; Best Approach to Survey or Assessment – Discussion of this topic continued, but no actions were taken. This is expected to be on the agenda again with the LSSC and LCAP representatives at our next meeting, along with the DEIA Task Force.


  1. Feedback on Use of Faculty Meetings – Postponing discussion for a future EC meeting.


  1. Metadata Librarian Technology position – EC appointed members to serve on the Metadata Librarian Technology Search Committee. Lucretia will reach out to those appointed members and then inform EC of their responses. Once confirmed Lucretia Williams will inform HR and scheduled the Kick-off meetings. Additionally, the Emerging Technology Specialist was made CS after discussions with IHR, and that will now be moving forward. David Ward will follow up with Bill Mischo for further discussions.