Time and Location of Meeting
November 30, 2017
Agenda not yet available.
JJ Pionke, Sarah Christensen, Patricia Malik, Joe Minarik, Cherie Weible
- Grant award (JJ)
- JJ received a Campus Research Board grant for $25,000 w/ a Beckman Award
- Heather Murphy will announce in Recognizing Excellence
- 3 national surveys abut education about library people, students, directors/deans, current library workers about knowledge about accessibility
- Development of a disability/accessibility collection (JJ)
- JJ is working on the development of an accessibility and disability collection. The College of Medicine gives opportunities for more development.
- JJ is brainstorming ideas of a graphic novel collection. She will be asking for feedback about what we need. Is there an annotated form of bibliography? (Joe) Answer: No, but is something JJ is willing to look into.
- Is there a more current disabilities handbook? (Joe) Answer: JJ will look into it.
- Materials for universal design for learning? – JJ will talk to Nancy O’Brien
- First floor Service Point Assistive Technologies Space (CW)
- What are the furniture needs? – Cherie is looking into it.
- Scheduling is available through dibs for students
- Table space w/ adjustable heights, vision-impaired and closable space for hearing disabilities
- Still consulting w/ DRES
- Plan to look at data and usage to see what we need
- Automatic door is seen as a necessity
- How to use space? Will consult w/ JJ and people who will use the space
- Marketing – will work w/ Heather Murphy
- There is a need for accessible group spaces integrated within the library – not separate, not isolated as is the case throughout campus – need supported collective spaces.
- Suggested by Joe that Advancement can be used to raise money for these needs
- Develop Strategic Plan and Goals for the Advisory Group
- Keeping technology up-to-date is an issue
- Talk to CCAA to talk about where the money is
- Suggested to do a snap survey of DRES people to see what they need and then continue to track usage/needs after built for improvement and growth
- Creating a policy around accessibility and events / Develop standard event language
- Creating a training program around assistive technology
- Developing a library assessment program around accessibility of our libraries
- Duplicating the accessible technology in other library locations was suggested