November 3, 2014 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

November 3, 20141:30 pm - 3:00 pm 428 Main Library

Agenda Details


1.                  1:30-1:45-Lisa Hinchliffe – Strategic Planning Process

 2.                  Approve Minutes from October 27

 3.                  Question Time

 4.                  Future of Digital Production

 5.                  PRC for Faculty member

 6.                  Strategic Planning

Minutes Details


John Wilkin, chair; Kirstin Dougan, vice-chair; JoAnn Jacoby, secretary; Tim Cole, Lori Mestre, Bill Mischo, Lynne Rudasill, Jennifer Teper, Sarah Williams; Visitor-Lisa Hinchliffe, Recording-Kim Matherly


1.                  1:30-1:45-Lisa Hinchliffe – Strategic Planning (SP) Process
See attached document.

John invited Lisa to share with EC the process she has worked with Dean Wilkin and the Cabinet to outline for strategic planning. Lisa would like to see the next Library retreat help inform the process. The focus will be on generating a strategic framework for action, with the intention to create something more flexible than the traditional strategic plan.

EC would like Lisa’s group to take information from the unretreat and several of the surveys that have been done to help inform the process. Other documents Lisa feels they will use are the current strategic plan, annual budget document and other documents.

John feels we can glean from the other reports to determine what some of the larger frameworks are. The new SP will guide us through 2016 and then for some time to come. The SP will guide our goals and objectives on an annual basis. This is an opportunity for us to formulate what is important to us and what is important to the University. It will help us to know if we are accomplishing what we want to.

2.                  Approve Minutes from October 27
Minutes were approved with one addition by a motion from Tim Cole, seconded by Kirstin Dougan.
3.                  Question Time
John-Council of Deans report – on the hiring plan, the Provost’s office will now provide an opportunity for “resources needed” (particularly for faculty in the humanities and social sciences) that are $5,000-30,000. We need to think about how we can use these resources to enhance positions for new hires. The Board of Trustees are constructing a dashboard for program, evaluation—the units are great at starting new initiatives but we don’t shut anything down. There are reports that some specialized faculty are looking for jobs elsewhere, because they don’t want to be part of the union.

There was discussion regarding union people coming into the workplace to talk to individuals and whether that is allowed. It is allowed, but individuals have the right to tell union officials that they don’t want to talk to them or to schedule a time to talk to them when it is convenient.

EC discussed the conversation with the Provost and Vice-Provost that took place on October 27.

EC approved the Behavioral Sciences job description.

4.                  Future of Digital Production
EC discussed the document. They would like to share the document more broadly with the Library and get feedback. The document will be posted and an email will go out asking for feedback.
5.                  PRC
PRCs were suggested for several faculty.

6.                  Strategic Planning

John wants to make sure this is a collective process. Several names were suggested to serve on the group. We will also seek volunteers.