November 21, 2016 Meeting of Administrative Council

Time and Location of Meeting

November 21, 20161:30 pm - 3:00 pm 428 Library

Agenda Details

Expected/Invited Attendees

Bill Mischo, Tom Teper, Shuyong Jiang, Chris Quinn, Susan Avery, Sarah Williams, Mary Schlembach, Lisa Romero, Joanne Kaczmarek, Mary Laskowski, Kyle McCafferty, Tom Habing, Greg Knott, Jeff Schrader, Cherie’ Weible, John Wilkin


1.  Policy on Library Grants, Contracts and Agreements for Sponsored Research, Instruction and Other Activities (Namachchivaya). Policy available at:

2.  2017 Retreat and Follow-up Planning (Jacoby, Namachchivaya, Teper)

Minutes Details


John Wilkin, chair; Susan Avery, Tom Habing, JoAnn Jacoby, Shuyong Jiang, Joanne Kaczmarek, Greg Knott, Mary Laskowski, Kyle McCafferty, Beth Namachchivaya, Bill Mischo (for Mary Schlembach), Chris Quinn, Lisa Romero, Jeff Schrader, Tom Teper, Sarah Williams


1.       Policy on Library Grants, Contracts and Agreements for Sponsored Research, Instruction and Other Activities (Namachchivaya). Policy available at:

Please see posted documents at and


New and old policies are up and linked. Beth will leave both up until Dec. 9 so you can see the changes. Please contact her if you have any questions regarding the revised policies. Many things have changed since the original policy was developed in 2003. One notable change that needed to be reflected in the Library policy is the fact that the campus Office of Sponsored Project (OSP) no longer manages gifts. Revisions targeted the responsibilities of Library faculty and AP’s in getting a grant, stewarding and doing what was proposed in a fiscally responsible way with a final outcome that is communicated broadly, as well as to the grant funder.


Tom Teper, Kathie Veach, Susan Schnuer, Tim Cole, and Greg Knott were on the working group, which met throughout the summer.  Initially Greg, Kathie and Beth revamped what they wanted the policy to look like to incorporated the steps into the policy. The old policy stated what you need to do to get a grant and then it stopped. There are many other things that required revision in the old policy as well.   The Working Group also revised the Library’s policy on ICR (Indirect Cost Recovery) funds and their allocation in the Library. The percentage of ICR funds the campus distributes to each unit has changed. If you are a PI or Co-PI on a federal grant, you may be receiving ICR funds. Contact Kathie Veach if you have questions or think you may have ICR funds.


After the Grant policy revision Working Group concluded its work, another Working Group to support Grant Training and Outreach was established, with Tim Cole as chair.  That group will kick off its work in early December 2016.


John reminded everyone that a grant is given to an institution not an individual. It is important for us to follow through on our responsibilities organizationally.


2.       2017 Retreat and Follow-up Planning (Jacoby, Namachchivaya, Teper)

Updates will be coming out on a regular basis. The AULs have been working with Susan Schnuer and Beth Woodard on outlining an agenda for the retreat. There will be a breakfast, welcome, the Provost will talk and then John will talk. The point of the Provost’s discussion is to focus on how we go forward when we might be inclined to entrench. There will be break outs at the tables for discussions. The AULs are working on those discussion topics.


We will focus on the impact of how we can move forward in the areas we defined in the Strategic Framework. There may also be some follow-up activities to get a sense of place in the broader organization. There will be an opportunity for people to pair up and learn more about each other. These will be approved activities (based on unit need and supervisor approval), which might include job shadowing or other group activities after the retreat.


All Library units will be closed until 1 pm so that faculty and staff may attend the retreat as their work for that morning. Faculty and staff who are not either working or attending the retreat must charge the time to appropriate benefits. Participation of hourly employees and graduate assistants in the retreat is at the discretion of their unit head. Please coordinate with your unit head if you need to make any adjustments to your schedule to attend the retreat. Lunch will be provided at the end of the retreat so you may take your lunch break in the company of your Library colleagues.



Greg Knott changed the evaluation cycle. Skye is going to be point person to organize the evaluations and will send out information after the first of the year. These reviews are important to many employees who want to know how they are doing. They are also valuable in making recommendations for upgrades. Evaluations will be due in March or April.


Vet Med Library

JoAnn described the new NSM for Vet Med, developed in collaboration with the College of Veterinary Medicine as part of their planning for renovations. The Veterinary Medicine Library will have a small collection (2000 volumes) of the most highly used materials circulated with a self-check system, meeScan ( Erin Kerby, Veterinary Medicine Librarian, will remain in her current office, which will be connected to the collection area and located alongside a newly renovated “collaborative learning space” with study areas and meeting rooms. Erin will maintain regular office hours while focusing additional attention on outreach and instruction. While renovations are underway during spring and summer 2017, Erin and the collection will temporarily be housed on the 2nd floor of the Vet Med Basic Science Building. The Veterinary Medicine Library will be closed over Winter Break while the collection is being moved. Additional details will be posted in the December Library Office Notes (LON).


GA requests – Greg Knott will be sending out an email asking for requests for hourlies and GAs for summer and the next academic year. This is a call for submissions of proposals in funding for Grad Hourlies (GH) for summer 2017 and Graduate Assistants (GA) for the 2017-18 academic year (FY 18). This year we are taking the requests at the same time to help stream line the process.


These requests are due no later than Monday December 12 at 5pm. The Library Budget Group will review the requests and prioritize for funding.


With the assistance of Library IT, we have developed a new submission platform for the submission of the requests. A link to the form and instructions on how to navigate the form are included below.


If you should have any questions regarding this process, please contact Candice Woodrum at .


The submission request can be accessed at:


Web Content Team – There have been some changes to the team. Bill Mischo is now the project owner, working with Tom Habing and Jim Dohle. They have selected Word Press to replace CMS. The Web Team has moved into a production mode and we are in the process of initial site conversion. They are working with four early adaptor libraries: History, Philosophy, and Newspaper; International and Area Studies; Mathematics; and Music and Performing Arts in the initial phase of the conversion project, which is scheduled to be completed by the beginning of spring Semester (01-17-17). The cooperative content conversion work is being done by teams comprised of members of the Library Web Team and a trained group of graduate assistants – all in conjunction with site owners.


This first phase pilot will help both conversion team members and unit librarians and staff identify any problems with documentation, workflow process, and implementation details. After any needed modifications in the page templates or features implementation, the Web Team will begin the migration of the other unit sites beginning Spring Semester 2017, with a target completion date of summer 2017.


There will be a note in LON next week providing more details of the process, including providing a link to a web site that will show status and updates of the migration efforts. Members of the Web Team will attend Division meetings next semester to go over the project.


Megean Osuchowski is chairing a working group looking at an intranet for internal use in the Library.