November 19, 2020 Meeting of Library Staff Support Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

November 19, 2020

Agenda Details


LSSC Meeting Agenda 11-19-20

  1. Approve September Minutes
  2. Liaison & Committee Reports
  • Assistant Dean for Business and HR Candidate Interviews
  1. DEIA task force
    1. Library colleagues for inclusion aspect – ideas?
  2. Upcoming E.C. meeting (11-23-20)
    1. Last month’s meeting, report back
    2. Updates / LCAP communications
    3. Input / Request for feedback
      1. new questions we might have?
        1. Hangouts Inclusivity Response: Recaps from hangouts in Libnews, Heather Murphy
        2. Idea: COVID communications feedback?
      2. Website
        1. Kim update
  • Other Comments and Updates
    1. Hours updated for UGL and Grainger after T-giving
    2. Diversity Committee events (social distanced option)
    3. Alma training
    4. Libnews email update about bylaws passing, with link
    5. Building Project Updates
    6. Conference awardees (follow-up with folks from last year, how to move forward for next year)


Minutes Details


Attendees for November 19, 2020 zoom meeting

Kim Hutcherson (Administration)
Jan Adamczyk (Area Studies)
Karen Huck (Arts & Humanities)
Kristen Blankenship (Central Public Services)
Michelle Self-Ballard (Central Public Services)
Jessica Sommers (Law)
Erik Chapman (Life Sciences)
Bernadette Braun (Physical Sciences)
Julia Cross (Residential Hall Libraries)
Tony Hynes (Special Collections)
Brian Clark (Technical Services)
Rachael Johns (Technical Services)


Minutes for November 19, 2020 meeting

Approve October Minutes: Approved with no corrections.

Liaison Reports and Updates:

Administration: No updates

  • Administrative Council: Didn’t meet

Area Studies:  Guest Speaker:  Tom Teper spoke about e-first strategy, and about the current situation to make sure we are fulfilling requests if items can be accessed; There was a discussion about on-demand scans, and items that cannot be pulled physically.  If items can be pulled, then they will be pulled for pick up.  Acquisitions is a smoother process now as everyone is getting used to it.

Arts & Humanities:  Didn’t meet

Central Public Services:  Didn’t meet

Central Access Service:  Main library pick up hours reduced to 10-5, working through Primo issues.  Carli didn’t renew some material on purpose and some there were issues with renewal.

UGL:  Study space available same day, just book 4 hours in advance.

Law: No updates

Life Sciences:   Guest speaker:  Sara Holder talked about the UGL Migration working group  The computer/lecture room 509 needs to be renovated and a there is a bid .  Kelli Trei asked about using models now in regard to COVID and if can be used moving forward into the future. Back to work items before recent Governor announcement on hold now.

ACES:  With the UGL Migration, ACES is housing some material including cookbooks. The offices in ACES are finished, but not being used right now due to COVID-19.

Physical Sciences and Engineering: Didn’t meet

Grainger:  Grainger pick-up hours after break:  Monday-Friday 11-5; Saturday closed; Sunday 1-5.  Staff hours reduced, but on call for call slips.  In-person once or twice/week  Waiting to hear from EC on interim head.

Math: Staff hours reduced, but on call for call slips.  In-person once or twice/week.

Residence Hall:  Gaining one or two practicum students.  Cataloging all of fiction from Dewey to authors last names.  Contacting patrons to return items.  Hours reduced to 10-2, will take appointments.  Closed after this week for break.

Special Collections:  Guest Speaker:  David Ward talked about the UGL migration.  Some items are not moving such as vintage video games, there might be some staff changes, but nothing has been finalized.  Still going through architectural proposals, reduced to 7 candidates. Tim Newman will bring to campus for further approval and still making sense of back end of how things work, and the service models.

Technical Services:  Guest speaker: David Ward talked about the UGL migration and decision making within 6-7 months regarding Spring 2022.  Discussion on latest Governor announcement, which is not a shelter in place, but best to have a contingency in place if that were to happen.  Discussed that Library had a good practice going.  Since the Chancellor’s email, more have been moving to remote.  Departments are continuing with regular service, receiving materials, delivering materials.  Discussed the digitization efforts.  The digitization workflow was designed with situations worsening, so the current situation won’t be too disrupted.  Discussed the Request Workflow as follows; patron request book, extended decision print/digital, public information: copywrite date, digitized or HathiTrust.  Each person in division talked about their role.  Talked about positions on hold. Oak Street has new management software, struggling with previous software, so great news and it interacts with Alma.

ACS:  No updates

Preservation: Emergency Accessed Digitization System; ramp up support and equipment to continue to provide electronic resources.


Assistant Dean for Business and HR Candidate Interviews

  • Chair and Vice Chair met with LCAP before the first candidate interview.
  • Outcome of the interview: Thought it was great, good to be involved in this process.
  • How do we want to gather the feedback? Discussed and all in agreement as group email.

DEIA task force

  • Library colleagues for inclusion aspect – ideas?
    • Erik Chapman accepted to serve on the task force, hasn’t heard anything yet.
    • One of the LSSC comments mirrored one of LCAP’s as well, as far as faculty heavy. Now on the Task Force are 4 Faculty, 4 AP’s and 4 Civil Service.

Upcoming E.C. meeting (11-23-20)

  • Last month’s meeting, report back
    • Hangouts Inclusivity Response: Heather sent libnews recaps from November Hangout.
      • Positive result, as there are many with conflicts at the time of the Hangouts.
    • Updates / LCAP communications
      • Getting together before the EC meetings.
        • Positive result, the two committees are collaborating
      • Input / Request for feedback
        • LCAP plans to send question in advance to EC.
        • LSSC will also send question in advance to EC.
        • Possible questions
          • COVID communications feedback: mass mail comes quickly, and there are questions from people on rules at any given time; when will student employees, staff employees must leave the area
            • Heather murphy sent an email recently which addressed Chancellor’s remarks. It was well timed and to the point of getting us a library wide response to the campus response.
          • Would like guidelines on students or staff employees who are leaving town for break and will be away from campus.

LSSC Website

  • There were some links under related documents, Kim added some other links. Take time to view and let me know if you want anything changed or added.

Other Comments and Updates

  • Hours updated for UGL and Grainger after break:  See above
  • Diversity Committee events (social distanced option): No updates
  • Wellness committee update is its own identity, started a virtual creative connections.  The first one is favorite recipes.  Pedometer challenge in spring; Library employees can participate in the Faculty Staff Assistance Program’s Holiday Family, libnews information about this year’s Holiday Family sent on 11/18/2020.
  • Outreach and engagement: early in process, looking for information/ideas, definitive definitions.
  • Training and development: training coming up such as what do you know if you don’t know on alma/primo and zoom.
  • Rachael will send libnews email update about bylaws passing including link to bylaws.
  • Building Project Updates : see above
  • Conference awardees (follow-up with folks from last year, how to move forward for next year): will follow up in January.

No LSSC Zoom meeting in December

Next LSSC Zoom Meeting: January 28, 2021