November 12, 2018 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

November 12, 2018

Agenda Details




November 12, 2018


428 Library

  1. 2-2:30 – AULs
    • Library Building Project Update
    • AUL Transition
    • Proposed title change
  2. Approve minutes – October 29
  3. Question Time
  4. Strategic Plan
  5. Committee
  6. Student Learning Outcome Assessment Plan
  7. ILS Implementation feedback
  8. DPI Committee
  9. Committee members
  10. Position Levels/Approvals
  11. HR information in LON
  12. Position Request
  13. AULs on PRCs and committees

Minutes Details




November 12, 2018


428 Library


Present: – John Wilkin, chair; David Ward, vice-chair; Mary Laskowski, secretary; Nancy O’Brien, Lynne Rudasill, Lynne Thomas; Visitors-Heidi Imker, Chris Prom, Tom Teper, Cherié Weible; Recording – Kim Matherly


  1. 2-2:30 – AULs
    1. DPI (Discovery Partners Institute) Committee

The Library needs to have a committee or task force ready to provide input to campus when asked. Heidi will send a charge out to EC.


  1. Library Building Project Update

Tom sent out a monthly update about a week ago. The Programming and Services in the Main Library Working Group is ready to go. Tom is still working to get a chair for the Managing the Library’s Collections Working Group.


The consultant to discuss special collections will be in the Library December 5-7, 2018.


The second Salon is today at 3pm. There are two more salons: November 28 and December 13. Both salons are full. We will also have small group (salon-style) sessions for Library staff. At least one salon will be scheduled for the iSchool grad students. John and Tom are talking with Mike Tissenbaum’s Design Learning Spaces class, tomorrow. There are plans to talk with many other groups in the next few months.


  1. AUL Transition

The transition is going well. Heidi is moving between 312 and 246F Library and Chris is in 246G permanently. Heidi and Chris have established office hours; Tom and Cherié have established office hours. The four AULs will give a brief update at the next Faculty meeting regarding the transition.


David will send out the document describing the Acquisitions/CAM merger and John will send out a call for an internal full-time Head, Acquisitions and Cataloging Services. EC will serve as the search committee.


EC sent a nomination for an Honorary Degree to the Chancellor. That nomination is moving forward.



  1. Proposed title change – Cherié

EC approved the change.


  1. Approve minutes – October 29

Minutes were approved by a motion from Nancy O’Brien, seconded by Lynne Thomas.


  1. Question Time

At the last Big Ten Academic Alliance Directors meeting, there was discussion about aligning a publisher negotiation strategy with the University of California system. The University of California is negotiating with publishers around off-sets. They are asking the Provosts to endorse this strategy.


John continues to have conversations with academic departments regarding the Library Building Project.


  1. Strategic Plan

John discussed the campus strategic plan with EC. John would like the Divisions to nominate an individual (doesn’t have to be the coordinator) to serve on a strategic planning working group to create one document for the Library. John will draft text for a libnews announcement of the process and timetable.


  1. Committee

EC discussed.


  1. Student Learning Outcome Assessment Plan

EC approved the plan and nominated members.


  1. ILS Implementation feedback

EC discussed feedback.


  1. DPI (Discovery Partners Institute) Committee

Heidi will send a charge to EC and it will be posted for review and input.


  1. Committee members

EC discussed


  1. Position Levels/Approvals

EC discussed position descriptions. With the campus civil service audits and changes in flux, the Library is working closely with Illinois Human Resources (IHR) to craft appropriate job descriptions.


  1. HR information in LON

The information will continue to go to LibNews instead of LON, because of the confidentiality of some items.


  1. Position Request

The position was approved.


  1. AULs on PRCs and committees
    AULs will continue to serve on PRCs.