Time and Location of Meeting
May 4, 2017
Agenda not yet available.
IAS Staff Meeting
May 4, 2017
Present: Jan Adamczyk, Atoma Batoma, Kit Condill, Shuyong Jiang, Lisa Renee Kemplin, Laila Hussein Moustafa, Joe Lenkart, Lynne Rudasill, Antonio Sotomayor, Mara Thacker, Xiaoping Qi, and Steve Witt
Announcements & Accolades
- Laila reported on an exhibit at the British Library on the 100th anniversary of the Russian Revolution during her meeting with the Board Member of the Endangered Archives Program at the British Library.
- Lynne reported on her visit to the National Library in Greece.
- Mara has been selected to present on Indian Comics at the Midwest Popular Culture Association in St. Louis.
- Shuyong will be presenting at the Bangkok Institute.
- Atoma just returned from a book buying trip to Western Africa. He also participated in a library conference on education. He would like to bring an African film festival to campus in conjunction with the African Center. His proposal was accepted for a conference in Hungary.
- End of year potluck Tuesday, May 9 at noon in Rm 323c. Please bring a dish to share. If you are unable to come, consider making a donation.
- Please let Lisa Renee know if you have any students that will not be returning in the fall so that they can be terminated in JOYCE. Also let her know of any new hires for fall.
- There have been 4 new summer desk staff hired. Please be patient with them as they learn the ropes. Three of the new employees will start the first week of Summer 1 when Lisa Renee will be on vacation (May 15-22).
- Encourage Subject Specialists to acknowledge any students they are working with that may be graduating or leaving IAS.
- Steve thanked Joe for being the GA advisor this past year. Antonio will be the advisor in the fall.
- Steve thanked Atoma for the extra work he did on his buying trip.
- Subject Specialists can hire graduate hourlies for fall for 5-6 hours week.
- International Studies Research Lab is taking applications until May 15. The dates of the lab are July 16-28. Please let Lynne know if you will not be around during those dates as applicants are requesting information from all areas that IAS covers.
- Preparations continue for the Slavic Summer Lab. The dates of the lab are June 12- August 4. Support staff has been secured to help with the lab. The Slavic Summer Lab Reception will be June 21 from 2-3 at the YMCA. Joe met with Technical Services and Library IT to discuss the possibility of long term net ID’s for visiting scholars.
- The Midwest Slavic Librarians will be meeting here on June 8 and 9. The cooperative collection development workshop for Slavic collections in the US and Canada will not be hosted here at this time, as there is currently no funding at the national level.
- Steve will be gone from May 24-June 28. He is interested in setting up more short term study abroad programs based on a model from the College of Education program to Costa Rica. These will be collaborations between the iSchool, Global Studies, and IAS. Some funds from the buying trips may be used to support this endeavor. Let Steve know if you are interested in sponsoring a study abroad program in your region.
- ITEC – It has been one year since Lynne became the chair of iTEC. Please let Lynne know if you would like to chair this committee for the coming year.