May 29, 2019 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

May 29, 2019

Agenda Details




May 29, 2019


428 Library




  1. Approve minutes – May 13
  2. Question Time
  3. PRC member
  4. Library GAs on Library Committees
  5. Reference Management Team membership
  6. Emeritus request
  7. Innovation Fund
  8. Personnel issue
  9. RPC membership
  10. EC membership
  11. Position Request

Minutes Details




May 13, 2019


428 Library


Present: John Wilkin, chair; Mary Laskowski, secretary; Paula Carns, William Maher; Bill Mischo, Nancy O’Brien, Lynne Rudasill, Lynne Thomas; Visitors – Heidi Imker, Greg Knott, Chris Prom, Tom Teper, Cherié Weible; Recording – Kim Matherly


  1. 1:30-2:00 – Heidi, Cherié, Greg – AP Review Committee

EC discussed the AP Review Committee process and where the committee is in the process. EC offered input. The committee will send its recommendation to John.


  1. 2-2:30 – AULs
    1. Regular update – Heidi

The Office of Research (OOR) Reference Retreat, held April 24, went well. There were 20-25 people in attendance. OOR asked for feedback, but haven’t had time to evaluate what they received. If anyone has heard anything informally, please share.


Carla Hayden, awarded an honorary degree, was here for commencement. She seemed very genuinely honored. Her talk at the dinner on Friday night was lovely. Her grandfather helped build Memorial Stadium. The Chancellor introduced her and said, “We don’t have royalty, but the Library is the heart of the University and the greatest Library, so having the Library of Congress here is the closest thing we can have to royalty.” Carla had a lot of nice things to say about the Library.


Use of 220 continues to be informative and the restructuring of the Exploratory Use Team has been really helpful as well. They did not get through all the reports at the last meeting, because there is so much activity going on. Alex Cabada has been terrific. He’s on the Use and Space Technology Committee, putting together some reports.


Scholarly Communication and Publishing – Hiring is in full swing as is the GIS specialist for Scholarly Commons. The IDEALs rebuild is off and starting and Dan Tracy and Ayla Kenfield have done a ton of different focus groups. They put out a call and got quite a bit of feedback, but welcome additional comments.


Heidi’s group is working on renewal of the Experts MOU with the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research.


RDS – Beckman asked them to sit in to lead a meeting on data sharing for them as an institute. Ashley Hetrick will be doing that tomorrow. Heidi was named to an Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU), Association of American Universities (AAU) Steering Committee on data sharing for the next year or so. These are two major governing bodies over American Universities. They had a workshop on data sharing and open science at the end of October, where they called for applications for universities to assemble teams and participate in this workshop. They selected 30 universities and we were one of them. Heidi put together the application for it and participated in the workshop. There were about 6-8 people who were asked to be on the steering committee to move their agenda forward. A good thing for us as a University to have that voice.



  1. Search Process WG Update – Chris

Chris sent the search process toolkit to EC. Jake MacGregor and a few other people have been working on that. Chris is happy to take comments. It is working fairly well with the search committees it’s being tested with. There are still ways that searches tend to slow down. They will continue to assess ways to speed up the searches, when possible.


Chris has been working with Tracy Tolliver on the IT budget and staff planning issues. Tracy is continuing to assess the IT budget. She has been looking back, with Jim Dohle, through about five years of equipment purchases and other expenses and trying to cull them into particular categories, so we can get a better sense as to how we are spending our money over time and where the hills and valleys are; where we may be either underinvesting or over investing in certain areas. They are also looking at staffing issues, with Tom Habing having left. There were a range of projects Tom has worked on over the years, which are undergoing assessment.  We will need to plan for support or migrate them to other technologies. Tracy and Chris will continue to look at IT staffing and work with the AULs, John and EC on potentially other positions as we come forward on those.


Chris has been working with Michael Norman on the ILS migration project. They are meeting with CARLI in a couple of weeks to talk about the migration timing for next summer, which unfortunately falls at the end of the fiscal year. Michael has developed alternate migration scenarios and timings for discussion with CARLI and ExLibris.


Chris has been working with an IDEALS rebuild kick-off process with the SCARS Team, led by Seth Robbins, Kyle Rimkus and Ayla Stein Kenfield. The group is developing a structure and process to do an agile development framework for that project.


Chris will setting up a digital strategies leadership group together over the next month or two, taking into account things we’ve talked about at EC previously.


Laskowski – Jake MacGregor does great work with the checklists. As people use them, there are changes that will become obvious.


Thomas – suggested that for restaurant choices for hospitality dinners, there needs to be a choice in addition to Timpone’s, because Timpone’s is not accessible for anyone with mobility issues.


Prom – Jake had suggested the possibility of putting together a template narrative for search committees, especially new chairs, so they don’t have to start from scratch. Send any typos or suggested changes to Jake or Chris.


  1. Library Building Project Update – Tom

Altgeld has been a big point of discussion recently. It is projected to overlap with the main Library project on a calendar basis. It is going to be a challenge for all.


The three Library Building Project working groups have been busy. The Collections WG has an outline framework that is being shared out and has a forum that is going to be held on May 21, to talk about those recommendations. Based off the data we have; filling out 3 million volumes and having it be a fairly broad collection, should not be a problem. The Programming WG has been doing a lot of brain-storming and working toward beginning to outline what we might want to see in the building. A lot of it is up for discussion at this point, to see what might be out there. The Special Collections group has had a couple of meetings and subgroups have been charged.


Following up on the discussion at the last quarterly update, the Staff Development and Training Committee has invited Michelle Guerra, Campus Wellbeing Services, to come in and do a set of workshops over the summer and will be focused on stress management.


This week there are session on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with JLK and Brightspot, followed at the end by a Campus Town Hall, being held in 66 Library on Thursday. The intent is to have an opportunity for those who have been in the sessions with Brightspot and JLK and more intimately involved with the main Library project, to talk with them about what is desired while working through a variety of scenarios. The Town Hall is an open forum to update individuals as to where we are with the project and give them an opportunity to provide some feedback. The sessions on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are primarily going to be aimed at the main building, because we don’t have a contract for the Special Collections building and that part of the programming.


ILS – they have been talking a lot about that calendar and working through possible scenarios and what could happen in different instances. There are a variety of challenges they are trying to avoid, as much as possible.


FY19 – they are moving on closing out this fiscal year. They are already starting on programming budget out for FY20.


Acquisitions and CAM continue their consolidation and that is going fairly smoothly. MJ is working through four retirements on May 31, between the two units. They have been talking with Preservation Services about some possibilities for rebuilding the staffing where it is needed.


CMS – The SPR has processed a 100,000 volumes, 40% of the way through our commitment. Based on the last conversation, we have approximately another 50,000 volumes on site. For any volumes we don’t have on site, as part of the collection, we committed to retain a total of 250,000 volumes to the Big Ten. That is part of our contribution to the program, committing space.


Wilkin – when Tom says we owe that to the Big Ten, that is a collective process of identifying our priorities. We are not going to have people sending us materials we don’t want.


Teper – Yes, the move is to begin with is material at Oak Street and material in the Stacks, because it’s the easiest to identify.


Maher – Town Hall – the publicity is miserable; signage that doesn’t tell you when or where it is.


Teper – it was in e-week and Library social media for a couple of weeks. Tom will ask Heather about what is on the digital signage in the Library.


O’Brien – for the selection of material for the SPR, is that mostly being done here from our own collections to start with, not based on some general guidelines from BTAA; we need more science, social science, humanities.


Laskowski – CRL had done a huge collection/title analysis for the Big Ten that included all the serial runs and who had what. They started with the things that we had the majority of that there was also a lot of institutions that held it, so it would be the biggest bang for the buck.


Teper – the first phase that they did at Indiana, predominantly looked at major publishers; Elsevier, Springer, Wiley, Nature. The second phase – at Illinois – is was looking at what we had the most copies of across the membership.


  1. Regular update – Cherié

Cherié has been working on various projects she is involved in with buildings. Tom and Cherié have been in conversations with the Math Library and the Altgeld, and the Illini Hall project and been to a number of meetings about that along with Tim Cole. They are working on a project in ACES that involves some endowment funds, to reconfigure ACES’s second floor and office space to make room for their new hire.


They have elected to go ahead and do the carpeting project in HPNL, this summer. If they wait until May of 2020, that would coincide with the ILS migration.


The 200 project is still scheduled to kick-off in late August. That is the flooring, HVAC and window treatments piece. That will finish off 200 completely, sometime in late fall.


The First Floor Service Point project – Cherié needs to check in with Jeff. She thought they were starting on that this week as far as demolition and construction, but hasn’t heard anything.


  1. Approve minutes – May 6

Minutes were approved as amended by Lynne Rudasill, seconded by Lynne Thomas.


  1. Question Time

John discussed implications of the new UIC faculty union contract for our Library with provost.


At ARL Membership meeting, BTAA library directors met to discuss next steps on negotiating a pay-to-publish agreement with a major publisher. John will act as lead in negotiations.