May 27, 2015 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

May 27, 20151:30 pm - 3:00 pm 428 Main Library

Agenda Details


1.                  Approve Minutes from May 11
2.                  Question Time
3.                  Integrated Digital Collections Management: A Proposal
4.                  Reference Management Team Charge
5.                  Specialized Faculty Task Force Report
6.                  Innovation Fund Final Report from Hahn, Avery

Minutes Details


John Wilkin, chair; Kirstin Dougan, vice-chair; JoAnn Jacoby, secretary; Tim Cole, Lori Mestre, Bill Mischo, Lynne Rudasill, Jennifer Teper and Sarah Williams


1.       Approve Minutes from May 11
Deferred approval to next meeting.

2.       Question Time
Emeritus status was approved for a faculty member.

John stated that the budget process is going well. Drafts of modeling of reductions for some areas are coming in. He hopes to have things assembled by this Friday, so John can meet with the AULs and Greg to go over them on 6/3. On 6/8, John will have something to share with EC. The hard discussions we make now will help in the next round. John wants the Library to be as prepared as possible.

In regards to searches, it would be helpful if there were a process for contacting candidates that don’t make the first cut and letting them know and also to contact candidates that are still be considered and let them know that. There is too much time between when candidates apply and when they hear anything from us, besides that their application was received. We have lost some good candidates because we didn’t get back to them and they thought they were no longer in the running and took positions elsewhere. John will talk to Cindy Kelly about making this change.

EC talked about the possibility of a residency program. This will be discussed in more depth at a future meeting

Chris Prom, chair PTAC, will be invited to an EC meeting to talk about how to best support promotion candidates and other issues that came up during the 2015 review.

EC will look at the budget reduction proposals and hiring plan requests and bring information to the next faculty meeting.

EC discussed the practice of announcing new hires as part of Tom Teper’s monthly hiring update and feels that in most cases this is the best practice. Unit heads should continue to announce new hires when they arrive on campus.

3.       Integrated Digital Collections Management: A Proposal
The proposal came out of the fact that the Digital Collections Librarian position was not filled and Preservation Services needs to find a way to cover duties. EC asked for some revisions and approved the proposal, pending the revisions. Jennifer will send out the updated proposal with revisions.

4.       Reference Management Team Charge
EC discussed the membership and asked for some adjustments. JoAnn will make the changes and send the charge/membership back out to EC for final approval.

5.       Specialized Faculty Task Force Report
EC discussed the revisions that the TF made. EC asked for further revisions. JoAnn and the TF will make the revisions and send it back to EC for approval. EC will discuss the Distinctions in Expectations and Responsibilities between Senior Library Specialist, Library Operations Associate, Academic Professional, and Library Faculty Positions document at an upcoming meeting.

6.       Innovation Fund Final Report from Hahn, Avery
Deferred to another meeting.

7.       Privacy Policy
Deferred to another meeting.

8.       Head, Coordinator, and Assistant in Faculty Job Titles
Kirstin will look at the way campus uses coordinator and make sure the Library document uses the title in the same way. The coordinator title will be put on hold until EC is able to discuss further.

9.       Committee Assignments

Deferred to another meeting.