May 24, 2021 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

May 24, 20211:30 pm - 3:00 pm Zoom Meeting

Agenda Details

Agenda

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

AGENDA

Mary 24, 2021

1:30-3:00pm

Zoom Meeting

 

  1. Approve minutes – May 10, 2021
  2. Question Time
  3. ODT update to their Role/Scope statement 
  4. PRC Appointment 
  5. 2-2:30 Co-chairs/Chairs of LSSC and LCAP
    1. AP inclusion in Divisions
    2. Inclusive Governance Task Force Draft Charge
  6. Review of Position Description for Assoc Director for Financial Operations 

Minutes Details

Minutes

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Minutes

May 24, 2021

1:30-3:00pm

Zoom Meeting

 

Attendees: John Wilkin (Chair); Bill Maher (Vice-Chair); Jennifer Teper, Mara Thacker, David Ward, Peg Burnette, Dan Tracy, Mary Laskowski, and Kelli Trei.

 

LSSC/LCAP representatives present: Rachael Johns, Erik Chapman, Jake MacGregor, John Laskowski

 

 

  1. Minutes of the May 10, 2021 EC Meeting were approved as amended upon a motion by Bill Maher and second by Peg Burnette.

 

  1. Question Time
  • The Chancellor’s updated guidance on masking created some confusion. We should view this as emerging guidance that still allows us to require masks in some circumstances. Our library guidance on mask use should be fine within this framework. Circumstances and guidance from campus may change as the summer goes on.
  • The committee for the potential dual career hire has a position description ready. They are setting up a standard interview day. They need to get the final approval of position description to go through the Office for Access and Equity. EC approved the description pending standardization of diversity statement and research and service language, which HR can provide.
  • A Visiting Metadata Librarian position has been proposed as an emergency position due to a vacancy. This was discussed in the meeting as a stop-gap position with emergency search waiver for a two-year position that could not be made permanent. However, after the meeting circumstances changed and it was determined a full search would be held.
    • EC discussed the need for some internal guidance document for search waiver appointments to supplement campus guidance. This will go on a future EC agenda.
  • We have had discussions about extending our repository infrastructure to CARLI on a cost recovery basis. This effort has been led by Kyle Rimkus, who is working with CARLI and campus legal on the MOU, and it continues to move forward incrementally. This will come up again in the future.
  • An EC member asked if there was any new information about how campus would fund the 2% merit raise program, which is now publicly announced. There is no new information to indicate that we will not have to cover it, but we may not have clarity on this until September when we receive our final budget allocation.

 

  1. Organizational Development and Training Role/Scope Statement
  • EC thanked Susan Breakenridge for this update on the ODT group in BHRSC.

 

  1. PRC Appointment
    • EC recommended members for a peer review committee.

 

  1. 2-2:30 Co-chairs/Chairs of LSSC and LCAP
    • AP inclusion in Divisions
    • LCAP has worked with HR and the LSSC co-chairs to establish recommendations for how Civil Service Professionals (CS Pros) should fit into a variety of library structures or benefits. One question they were unable to figure out was whether CS Pros should be in divisions, and in general there was a lack of understanding of how APs fit into divisions.
    • EC discussed the history of divisions and the varying ways they currently address Academic Professionals. There is some representation of traditional Civil Service staff to divisions. Typically even in divisions where APs are included, they do not participate in the “advisory group” for the division that addresses faculty concerns.
    • EC recommended that we refer this issue to the Administrative Council with a request to suggest updates to bylaws that clearly allow for AP and CS Pro participation across all divisions, for those APs and CS Pros that are in units assigned to divisions.
    • Inclusive Governance Task Force Draft Charge
    • EC and the LSSC and LCAP representatives discussed a draft charge for a group to review governance mechanisms and propose specific changes. The group suggested several adjustments to the charge based on feedback. The group also discussed the size of the task force. In addition to the original three members who have helped draft the charge (representing EC, LSSC, and LCAP), there should be a call for volunteers to enable the task force to also have three members from Civil Service, APs, and faculty who are not on any of the three groups. The group also discussed the possibility of a bylaws representative as an ex officio member, or the group consulting the Bylaws Committee as necessary.
    • It was suggested that the group should do some sort of library-wide survey in line with previous discussions in the fall to see how members of different employment classifications would like to be represented.
    • Next steps: Mara Thacker will send charge with incorporated revisions to EC and the representatives to vote on. Once it is approved Dean Wilkin will work with Dan Tracy to do a call for members, with a week and a half turnaround for volunteers.

 

  1. Review of Position Description for Assoc Director for Financial Operations
    • EC recommended members for the search committee.