May 24, 2018 Meeting of Library Staff Support Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

May 24, 201811:00 am - 12:30 pm 225B Main Library

Agenda Details


  • Webform on Furniture
  • Elections
  • ALA brownbag
  • Division Updates

Minutes Details


Erik Chapman (Life Sciences)
Jim Cotter (Special Collections)
Angie Gruendl (Physical Sciences & Engineering)
Kyle McCafferty (Central Access Services)
Debora Pfeiffer (Technical Services)
Laura Poulosky (Residence Hall Libraries)
Gennye Varvel (Social Sciences)
Shoshana Vegh-Gaynor (Arts & Humanities)


Web Form Request for Break Room Furniture Upgrade: LSSC recently received an anonymous suggestion in our online suggestion box for an upgrade to the worn furniture in the Main Library’s fourth floor staff break room. In the past, requests like this have been considered by Library Human Resources, so Kyle will ask Skye in the Business Services & Human Resources Center about how we should proceed in order to have this request considered.

Upcoming LSSC Elections: Kyle will send email to LIB-staff and LIB-news, inviting civil service staff members to nominate themselves as candidates for open spots on LSSC. He will also set up the anonymous web form for the elections, which will be held in June. We will need one staff member from Library Human Resources as well as two staff-at-large employees to serve as election judges.

LSSC Duties to Assign: Following LSSC elections in June, we will need to elect a new chair of LSSC, an LSSC member to attend Administrative Council meetings, and an LSSC member to attend Faculty meetings. The new chair will need to reserve our meeting room for the upcoming fiscal year (beginning in July) and will also be responsible for setting meeting agendas. Angie has volunteered to post LSSC minutes to the committee’s website (using WordPress) once the minutes have been finalized each month.

ALA Brownbag Discussion to Schedule: Following this summer’s ALA conference, LSSC will host a brownbag discussion at which Angie Gruendl and Kristen Blankenship, the winners of the Library’s two staff scholarships to attend ALA, will share with us what they learned at ALA, especially any information or ideas that especially pertain to Library staff. Keep an eye out for an announcement of the date and place! We would like to host this event sometime after the first week of July.

Committee Reports:

Life Sciences: Erik reported that the most recent Life Sciences Division meeting consisted of Jen-chien Yu’s presentation of the Student Learning Outcome Assessment Plan and the University Library’s Assessment Process Template, which are required documents for the University to maintain accreditation. Jen-chien has developed impressive curriculum and instruction documentation. She is visiting many Division meetings to present this assessment information. Erik also reported that the hiring process is underway for the new Medical and Bioengineering Librarian.

Special Collections: Jim reported that John Wilkin visited the most recent Special Collections Division meeting to discuss the Library Building project and its potential impact on Special Collections. Wilkin and Division attendees brainstormed and discussed some pros and cons of different options. In order to build a new, free-standing structure specially designed to house these collections, the Library would need to have special funding from a generous donor or donors. Another possibility would be renovating the Undergraduate Library to house Special Collections.

Physical Sciences and Engineering Division: PSED has not met since our last LSSC meeting, but they might meet soon with Jen-chien Yu to discuss assessment requirements.

Technical Services: Jen-chien Yu also presented the Library’s assessment requirements at the most recent Content Access Management meeting. The deadline for the assessment documents will be in September of this year.

Social Sciences: Jen-chien Yu presented the Library’s assessment documents at the Social Sciences Division meeting, as well. The annual assessment of the Division coordinator is underway.

Arts and Humanities Division: Jen-chien Yu presented the Library’s assessment documents at the most recent Arts and Humanities Division meeting. Tom Teper also attended the meeting to take questions about the Library Building project. There were indeed many questions, mostly about how to make sure there’s enough space for Arts and Humanities print collections.

Unattended Items in Libraries: Shoshana asked about how our various libraries handle items left unattended by patrons. Angie explained that during finals week at Grainger, announcements are made over the PA system that in 10 minutes, any unattended items in specific areas will be removed to Lost and Found. That reminds patrons to take care of their items. Valuable unattended items are put in a locked drawer. Patrons must unlock their cell phones or laptops with their passwords in order to reclaim them. Erik also replied that unattended items at ACES are placed in their Lost and Found. If any items seem suspicious or cause concern, Campus Police is called to inspect these items.

Residence Hall Libraries: The Urbana Residence Hall Libraries are closed for summer break, but staff will still be retrieving call slip requested items from these locations three times a week throughout the summer. Ikenberry Library will be open for the summer starting on Tuesday, May 29th, Monday-Friday, 10am-4pm.