May 1, 2014 Meeting of Area Studies

Time and Location of Meeting

May 1, 2014

Agenda Details


Agenda not yet available.

Minutes Details


IAS Staff Meeting

May 1, 2014 

Present:  Jan Adamczyk, Atoma Batoma, Kit Condill, Laila Hussein, Lisa Renee Kemplin, Joe Lenkart, Larry Miller, Yuriko Oono, Xiaoping Qi, Lynne Rudasill, Antonio Sotomayor, Mara Thacker, Dmitry Tartakovsky, and Steve Witt


  1. Quetzalli (.25) and Sveta (.33) are returning Graduate Assistants for AY 2014-15. The two new GA’s are Robert Sarwark (.25) and Alonso Avila (.25).
  2. Steve and Lisa Renee are meeting today to discuss Graduate Hourlies for AY 2014-15.
  3. Steve would like regular IAS submissions to the monthly Library Newsletter. Laila has submitted information for the Middle Eastern Summer Lab for the May issue. Joe will submit info on the Slavic Research Summer Lab for the June issue. Reminders for future issues will occur at the IAS Staff Meetings.
  4. Reading Day is May 8 and finals are May 9-16.
  5. The Undergrad Dog/Cat Therapy day is scheduled for May 12 at 2pm.
  6. The annual banquet for the Refugee Center is Saturday, May 3 at 6pm at the Round Barn Banquet Center. See Atoma for tickets.


  1. Brief overview of highlights from statistical report from last staff meeting. Jen did receive a copy of the report and believes she has already shared pertinent suggestions at the last staff meeting. Sveta will work next semester with another GA to write an instructional report on the compilation of statistics. There is a need for reminders/training for subject specialists to ensure that work is being entered into Desk Tracker. The report also needs an executive summary.
  2. IASL Teaching and Engagement Committee will be the new name for the previous

Outreach Committee. This renaming will help to ensure that activities are counted for faculty that is seeking tenure. Committee members include Mara, Antonio, Lisa Renee, Atoma, and the new IAS Reference Librarian.

  1. Staff should look at the IAS Oak Street Holdings to determine what status should be        given and also to determine exactly what the items are. There are three possible levels.    Archival would need a request from staff, Book 3 would allow items to be sent to IAS       room only for two week loan period, and No Circulation would not even allow staff to be        able to request. The recommended status from BA Davies was Book 3. The practices for       use has been outlined and circulated among staff.
  2. Discussion over how the new book shelves should be filled will be continued to the next staff meeting. Possible ideas include themes and/or matching topics of current library exhibits.


  1. Reference and User Services will likely not have any more meetings this semester. The   website redesign is ongoing.
  2. The Middle Eastern Summer Lab will begin May 14. Preliminary registrants are at 18. Two LibGuides will be linked from the collection site. Books have been ordered and will need to be catalogued before the start of the lab.
  3. A SRL planning meeting with REEEC was held on April 28. There are approximately 50   researchers registered so far. Work is being done on an IAS orientation guide, sample list of databases, and library operations. The conference room has been reserved to facilitate group orientations and bibliographic sessions for participants. A reception will   be held in June for participants.
  4. Kit reported on the Slavic backlog. There are approximately 18,000 items. Duplicate items will be sent to the book sale. Good records will be copy catalogued. The first phase of sorting will take a long time. The note in World Cat will reflect Slavic Backlog 2.
  5. Steve will send a copy of a white paper that was coauthored with REEEC for expanded   summer research labs. This topic will be carried forward to the next staff meeting.


  1. GA Project Presentations will be from 2-3 today in RM 323c. Please come out to show    your support. Snacks will be served.
  2. Atoma will host the start of the fall semester picnic at his home in August or September. Date and time of the picnic will be announced at a later time.
  3. Wendy Wolter from HR is coordinating the retirement party for Barbara Ford. IAS will be hosting this event on May 22 from 3-5. The estimated number of guests is 200.  The musicians will be Scott Schwartz and Martin Stromberg. Refreshments include cupcakes, cheese, fruit, and tea.