March 28, 2019 Meeting of Library Staff Support Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

March 28, 201911:00 am - 12:30 pm Main Library 225b

Agenda Details


  1. Welcome Courtney!
  2. Approve Feb. Minutes
  3. Liaison Reports and Updates
  4. Travel Fund / Contacting EC
  5. Reaching Forward South
  6. ALA
  7. Staff Lounge

Minutes Details


Erik Chapman (Life Sciences)
Lonnie E. Clark (Central Public Services)
Angie Gruendl (Physical Sciences & Engineering)
Courtney Horry (Area Studies)
Kim Hutcherson (Administrative Services)
Tony Hynes (Special Collections)
Cristina-Maria Kuhn (Technical Services)
Ben Riegler (Central Public Services)
Gennye Varvel (Social Sciences)
Shoshana Vegh-Gaynor (Arts & Humanities)


Welcome Courtney!: Erik has asked for Courtney to be added to the UI-LIB-LSSC distribution list and shared drive. Angie will ask for Kim to be added to distribution list.

Approve Feb. Minutes: Approved with amendments.

Liaison Reports and Updates:

Administrative Services: Nothing to report.

Area Studies: Worked on strategic planning. Looked at sub-areas to see how they could meet principles laid out. The conversation focused on unique collections, improving access to diverse populations, and community outreach. Ideas discussed included K-12 outreach, translating materials to different languages, and the possibility of a virtual library.

Arts & Humanities: Shoshana was unable to attend the meeting.

Central Public Services: Met to discuss strategic planning. Stacks has started deduping. They are removing items that have more than one copy in Stacks. They are not removing items that have circulated in the last three years. This is an ongoing project that will go through summer and possibly fall. Facilities is removing items from the attic.

Undergraduate Library worked on strategic planning. Next meeting will be April 7.

Life Sciences: Talked about library strategic plan. Erin Kerby, Veterinary Medicine Librarian, is the Life Sciences Division (LSD) representative for the strategic planning process. Discussed what to report and how the report will look. LSD wants to make sure the report is area specific, not unit specific. LSD wants to identify strengths and challenges (e.g., the great space in ACES Library but how to balance the need for student seating and how that impacts funding). Erik is a member of an LSD working group that is looking at moving serials to compact shelving. This is being done in response to the Library building project. There are candidate presentations for the Public Services & Engagement Librarian position. The candidate will most likely be based out of ACES because of the potential to work with the Agricultural Communications Document Center and liaison work with the University of Illinois Extension.

Physical Sciences and Engineering: Did not meet. Email sent about strategic planning.

Social Sciences: Worked on strategic planning.

Special Collections: Tony was unable to attend the meeting. Discussed strategic planning. Scott Koeneman from the Office of Library Advancement was invited to the meeting. Planning an exhibit about 1920. Special Collections Working Group formed with Joanne Kaczmarek as head. The goal of the working group is to create documents to discuss the building plan and create the sub-groups to look at public service, collections, and facilities.

Technical Services: Met twice. Talked about strategic planning. Examined what strengths, qualities, support the division offers to other collection-managing divisions. Collected division data by analyzing each SOAR point (strength, opportunities, aspirations and results). At the second meeting, Karen Hogenboom was present to discuss opportunities for Tech Services to help support researchers and others through Scholarly Commons. This is voluntary; Karen is putting together a spreadsheet of desired skill sets which will be shared with the division once available.

Administrative Council: Did not meet.

Faculty Meeting: Bill Sanders, Interim Director, of Discovery Partner Institute (DPI), presented. Bill discussed the vision of the DPI. There will be a campus in Chicago where students could come to work with DPI partners. Dean Wilkin submitted the budget request to campus. Talked about the five-year review for the Dean. The feedback gathered will go the Allen Renear, chair of the review committee, and the Executive Committee. This group gives feedback to Provost.

Travel Fund / Contacting EC: Cristina spoke with a contact regarding the possibility of a conference travel fund for civil service staff. The contact believes the idea is worth pursuing and suggests for LSSC to submit an email/proposal to the Executive Council. Should this move forward, it is anticipated that the request process, obtaining supervisory approval, and source of funding will be formalized. It is also anticipated that, since these are about policy, that the matter may be passed over to the Administrative Council. Erik, as chair of the committee, will send the e-mail. Cristina and Erik will work on the email together.

Reaching Forward South: Friday, 3/29, is the deadline. Have 11 applicants. Erik has been talking with Zoe Revell about transportation. Zoe has suggested a turtle bus. From the 11 applicants, would need a driver and a backup, to be trained on the bus. After the deadline, Erik will send out email and ask for transportation volunteers. Erik believes that he can file paperwork with the Business Office for group registration.

ALA: Erik would like help. Lonnie, Angie, and Cristina have volunteered. Erik has sent an email to Cherie’ Weible. Cherie’ has a meeting this week to discuss funding. Lonnie volunteered to host the brown bag events for both Reaching Forward South and ALA attendees.

Staff Lounge: Angie will email Skye Arseneau and Jake MacGregor about sending out an email to LIBNEWS about the key.

Updates: Ben attended the most recent Library building project update. Michele Guerra from Campus Wellbeing Services spoke about the resources available to deal with stress. Campus Wellness would be happy to present programs to the Library. Talked about the work the Collections Group has been doing. Looked at reports that have been generated and criteria for the collection. Want to have 3 million items in the collection. Will have brown bags to discuss the construction process. Want to learn from The Ohio State University model as an example on how to keep the collection accessible (remote warehouse with shuttle service, staff retrieval).