Time and Location of Meeting
March 23, 20201:30 pm - 3:00 pm Skype Conference Call
March 23, 2020
- Approve minutes – March 9
- Question Time
- Cherie will discuss
- Continuity of Instruction/Services (Cherie’ Weible will join us about 1:45 p.m.)
- Cherié will give an update- Innovation Fund/Jen Yu and Becky Smith
- Position Review – Assistant Dean for Finance and Human Resources
- Search Committee Appointment – Library Assessment Position
- Job Description – Visiting Design and Materials Research Librarian
- Discuss position description for Associate Director of DEIA
- Appoint External Reviewer
- ACS proposals for new positions
March 23, 2020
Zoom Conference Call
Attendees: John Wilkin (Chair); David Ward (Vice-Chair); Paula Carns; William Maher; William Mischo; Mara Thacker; Jennifer Teper; Lynne Thomas; and Lynne Rudasill (Secretary); Lucretia Williams, Recording
- Minutes of the March 9, 2020 meeting were approved with changes upon the motion by Lynne Thomas and second by Bill Mischo.
- Question Time – EC raised the question to Dean Wilkin about staff working from home and what happens after April 7, 2020. Dean Wilkin reiterated that until April 7th or unless we hear otherwise, everyone will need to stay at home and/or work remotely. Anyone that may need to come into the building to either pick up materials or to do something work-related will need to get approved. As we expand services, that will be communicated broadly. Dean Wilkin’s conversations with University Administration are that the University Library’s services are essential to the effective teaching and research that is ongoing and we need to find the safest way to do that to ensure that those things continue successfully. Our focus right now is on virtual services. We need to figure out where and when we need to start doing some things that are document delivery based on the print collections, but only with consideration to the health and safety of our employees. We possibly can aggerate some scanning request and use ILL for those mechanisms.
Dean Wilkin emphasized to EC that in the near term we need to appraise and figure out what we need to do to ensure effective functioning of teaching and research during the period of the stay-at-home order.
EC had a concern with how to proceed with job searches. Dean Wilkin suggested that we need to extend search timelines and communicate with our candidates about the change of expectations. We don’t want to put ourselves in a problematic position because we didn’t push deadlines out. We should do things so that ensure that we have the best possible pools and the most effective process. Paula Carns will reach out to HR about EC’s decision.
- Cherié Weible updates-
Continuity of Instruction/Services – Cherié articulated the numerous ways we are providing additional support to students, as well as supporting instruction through online and virtual means. This includes virtual chat reference with extended hours, interlibrary loan electronic delivery, purchase-on-demand for a variety of formats.
Innovation Fund Update – Cherie’ reported on the status of an ongoing innovation fund project, which has had difficulty achieving its goals. (No students signed up for the focus groups. Jen Yu had ideas about ways to use the funding in different ways while still obtaining the information they need. This may now be a moot point with the current COVID-19 situation.)
- Position Review- Assistant Dean for Finance and Human Resources – Dean Wilkin does not want to have in-person interviews until the fall. HR is ok with this decision. EC made some verbiage changes to the Assistant Dean for Finance and Human Resources job description and to the qualifications section for clarity. EC suggested that the candidate must be strong in finance in addition to human resources. Once the final version is drafted, EC will again review. EC suggested membership for a Search Committee for this position. Paula Carns will forward the revised job description to the Committee Chair for review.
- Search Committee Appointment – Library Assessment Position – EC suggested the names of three people to serve on the committee. This is an AP position. Paula Carns will reach out to those individuals and report back to EC.
- Job Description- Visiting Design and Materials Research Librarian – EC suggested five names of people to serve on the committee. Paula Carns will reach out to those individuals and report back to EC. This search kick-off meeting will not be until May 2020.
- Discuss position description for Associate Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Accessibility (DEIA)- Continuity of Instruction/Services – EC made some edits in regard to verbiage on the DEIA job description and also made some edits to the qualification section for clarity.
- External Reviewer – A new external reviewer was assigned for a 5Y tenure case. Lucretia will reach out to the new external reviewer via electronic email/letter.
- ACS proposals for new positions- EC discussed and approved the new positions being proposed: Electronic Resources Management Librarian, a Metadata Librarian (both tenure system faculty positions), and a Cataloging Coordinator (Academic Professional). EC will also reach out to MJ Han to see if she has suggestions for search committee members. A search committee or combination of search committees will be discussed at a subsequent EC meeting.
Meeting adjourned 3:00 pm.