Time and Location of Meeting
March 2, 2017
Agenda not yet available.
IAS Staff Meeting
March 2, 2017
Present: Jan Adamczyk, Atoma Batoma, Kit Condill, Lisa Renee Kemplin, Joe Lenkart, Laila Hussein Moustafa, Lynne Rudasill, Antonio Sotomayor, Mara Thacker, Xiaoping Qi, and Steve Witt
Announcements & Accolades:
- Brunch at Steve’s house this Sunday, March 5 at 11:00 am.
- Please give your name to Steve if you are interested in receiving training on the pilot calendar scheduling program. The pilot ends in April at which time all will be part of the new calendar scheduling system.
- Larry Miller has donated money for exhibit cases for IAS. Bids are currently out for the mill shop. It will either be one fish tank style or two smaller ones similar to the ones in the N/S hallway on the first floor.
- Mara is on the commencement committee. The committee is officially inviting Barack Obama to be the speaker at graduation on May 13. You are encouraged to tweet @illinoisinivitesObama.
- Antonio will be the supervisor of the GA’s in the fall. IAS will have two GA’s, Erin will be returning as one of the GA’s.
- Steve had a Unit Head meeting with Joanne yesterday. All are asked to submit a unit model with a 1%, 3%, and 5% decrease due to decreasing budgets. They are also looking for information on the serial and thesis catalogs use and possible new location to house them. Discussed copier use in the building. Elicited feedback on new signage in the library.
- Steve is on the organization committee for the Prairie Liaison Institute that will be held in July in Madison, WI. This will be similar to an ARL workshop looking at new models of subject librarianship. This will be a discussion and training session that includes collaboration from IL, WI, and MN.
- International Reference- IAS is receiving applications for the 25% GA for the fall semester. Joe will coordinate with Antonio and Lisa Renee for interviews. Ongoing project of cross reference of databases and print holdings. Some include citations others full text. Preparations for Slavic Summer Lab. 3 Graduate Hourlies have been hired to assist.
- The Global Studies Summer Lab for Community Colleges will be held July 16-July 29. Please let Lynne know if you plan to be gone during this time so that they can find someone else to represent your region.
- ITEC – The next Chai Wai is March 9 on Global Health in Sierra Leone. Upcoming programming events include, The Art of Mr. Ng’s Brushwork Calligraphy Demonstration on April 5 from 3-4pm, Poetry and Translation on April 14 from 4-6pm, and Searching for Putin: An Exploration of Sources and Perspectives on April 27 from 1-2:30. Date for reception for Larry Miller’s donations to Slavic TBD.
- Discussion on iTEC versus Chai Wai and sponsorships.
- Mara announced that the UGL will be hosting a Woman’s Comic Creators event featuring Betsy Gomez on April 24. More details to come.