June 27, 2019 Meeting of Library Staff Support Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

June 27, 201911:00 am - 12:30 pm Main Library 428

Agenda Details


  1. Approve Meeting Minutes
  2. Liaison Reports and Updates
  3. Reaching Forward South / ALA
    1. Brief discussion on the process for setting these up
    2. Brief discussion on timeline for next year
    3. Setting Up the brownbag sessions for this summer
  4. Committee Membership
    1. Assess membership for upcoming fiscal year
    2. Assess leadership positions for upcoming fiscal year
    3. Plan a call for nominations e-mail to fill empty positions
  5. Update on Potential Fund for Staff Travel (Cristina)
  6. Plan Summer Meeting Schedule
  7. Other Comments and Updates

Minutes Details


Erik Chapman (Life Sciences)
Lonnie E. Clark (Central Public Services)
Julia Cross (Residence Hall Libraries)
Angie Gruendl (Physical Sciences & Engineering)
Courtney Horry (Area Studies)
Ben Riegler (Central Public Services)
Gennye Varvel (Social Sciences)
Shoshana Vegh-Gaynor (Arts & Humanities)


Approve Meeting Minutes: Approved with amendments.

Liaison Reports and Updates:

Area Studies: No updates.

Arts & Humanities: Joe Lenkart talked about the room 220 project. Ricker Library had automatic door openers installed. Shoshana has taken a new job in Santa Fe. Congratulations, Shoshana!

Central Public Services: Michael Norman talked about Alma/Primo. June 24, 2020 is the date when Alma/Primo will go live. Michael sent out an email to listserv with dates of Alma/Primo orientation sessions. UGL updates: 9/9 – photo booth, 9/23 – doughnuts, 9/27 – Library Friends Advancement event from 6-8 p.m. (UGL will be closed that afternoon). Reconfiguration of UGL space. There are no more Mac computers. Donna Pierson, Jessica LeCrone, and Mark Kelley Rogers are leaving UGL. Stacks updates: More furniture is being removed.

Life Sciences: At the May meeting Melody Allison announced retirement and collections were discussed. June and July meetings were cancelled.

Physical Sciences and Engineering: No updates.

Residence Hall Libraries: One site is open in the summer. Weeding and clearing things out to get ready for the fall. Next week there will be a training session preview of Alma.

Social Sciences: June meeting talked about new trial of ProQuest databases. July meeting cancelled.

Special Collections:Tony will review notes from recent division meeting for minutes.

Technical Services: Met yesterday, but Cristina was scheduled to be out so did not attend. Alma implementation was an agenda topic.

Administrative Council: No updates.

Faculty Meeting: EC updates: discussed letting GAs attend some faculty committee meetings, finished AUL evaluations. Update from Dean Wilkin: discussed state budget increase, Altgeld Hall renovation should move forward, BTAA large scale negotiation for databases, BTAA white paper on collective collection coming. Lightning talks: Kelly Trei and Jen-chien Yu – student learning outcomes assessment project, Bill Mischo and Tom Teper – article processing charges (APC) and open access (OA).

Reaching Forward South / ALA:

Brief discussion on the process for setting these up: There is information on how to do this on G: drive and Google shared drive. Erik is thinking about typing things up and putting the information in one place. Will also solicit input from attendees.

Brief discussion on timeline for next year: Is there a LSSC calendar? Angie will check with Library IT.

Setting up the brownbag sessions for this summer: Have a combined brownbag for ALA and Reaching Forward South? Lonnie will work on getting a room for event. Erik will start with emailing the two ALA candidates to find dates and then email Reaching Forward South attendees.

Other: We’ve discussed something other than Reaching Forward South. There are benefits for continuing Reaching Forward South. Lonnie mentioned about sending to more attendees to ALA when it is held in Chicago.

Committee Membership:

Assess membership for upcoming fiscal year: Gennye’s, Lonnie’s, and Skye’s terms are ending July 2019. Technical Services has an opening. Arts & Humanities will also have an opening.

Assess leadership positions for upcoming fiscal year: Angie will remain secretary for the next fiscal year. Committee will wait till new members join to assess leadership positions.

Plan a call for nominations e-mail to fill empty positions: Will send out a call for nominations.

Update on Potential Fund for Staff Travel (Cristina): Cristina sent an email to the group regarding the subject. At the next meeting we will discuss this with Cristina.

Plan Summer Meeting Schedule: We will discuss the August meeting date at the July meeting.

Other Comments and Updates: The potluck coordinated by the Diversity Committee will not happen this year. Building project update from Collections Working Group: Mary Laskowski and Tom Teper were at the meeting. Will more remote storage be added? Tom will meet with stakeholders (Spurlock, Krannert, and Prairie Research Institute) to discuss the possibility of shared remote storage. There is the need for more remote storage. Ben had handouts from the quarterly update. The plan document is in the Administration Office.