Time and Location of Meeting
July 27, 20201:30 pm - 3:00 pm Zoom Meeting
July 27, 2020
- Approve minutes – July 13
- Question Time
- Outreach and Engagement Task Force Report-
- Participation of New Directors in EC, AC, and Budget Group
July 27, 2020
Zoom Conference Call
Attendees: John Wilkin (Chair); David Ward (Vice-Chair); Paula Carns; William Maher; William Mischo; Mara Thacker; Jennifer Teper (Secretary); and Lynne Thomas. Lucretia Williams; Recording
- Minutes of the July 13, 2020 EC minutes meeting were approved upon the motion by Lynne Thomas and second by Paula Carns.
- Question time – Dean Wilkin briefed EC on the Digital Scholar Institute (DSI). The Library was a founder of the DSI and perhaps it is time for us to cycle off. We were supposed to be the host for the institute this year but due to COVID-19, that changed, and there will now not be an in-person institute at Illinois. Not sure that there will be an in-person institute next year. Attention will be drawn towards discussing possible collaborations with the United Kingdom. We can still send people to institutes in the future.
Dean Wilkin expressed the importance of listening to the COVID-19 briefings that came out from HR on July 27, 2020 and it contains some very important information.
Dean Wilkin gave an update on the demand for print access and the challenges around that provision of service. It has been very challenging to satisfy the demand and we must continue to support Chris Prom, Mary Laskowski, and Cherié Weible as they plan fulfillment workflows and services. We have to continue to be flexible and not rigid in our responses as a library.
Dean Wilkin updated EC that in November 2019 the Library submitted a memo proposing a shared storage facility for library, archives, and museum materials with the other University of Illinois Campuses. There was a group that was charged last year to put together a Business Plan for a shared Storage Facility in Central Illinois. Encouragement was received from the President’s Office; Vice President Barbara Wilson and Avijit Ghosh. Initially there was a timeline of March 2020 but due to COVID-19and ensuing budget implications, circumstances for possible support have changed. Dean Wilkin, Mary Case, and Pattie Piotrowski sent the proposal forward along with the cover letter explaining that they do understand that circumstances and potential resource support have changed but the need has not.
- Outreach and Engagement Task Force Report– Dean Wilkin informed Mara Thacker that they’ve done an outstanding job and balancing out all the details of the Outreach and Engagement Task Force Report. EC did express some concerns with some of the verbiage in the report that was unclear; Mara clarified and made some adjustments. EC accepted the report after changes were made. The new committee was approved, and EC adopted the draft charge from the report. Mara Thacker will coordinate with AC to identify members representing the divisions.
- Participation of new Directors in EC, AC, and Budget Group – Dean Wilkin discussed ways that the new directors (Sara Holder, Mary Laskowski, and David Ward) should be included in meetings with the Executive Committee, Administrative Council, and the Budget Group Meetings, effective 8/16/2020. Per the Library’s bylaws, the Dean makes appointments to AC in close consultation with EC. EC agreed the Directors should have ex-officio appointments on AC. Because the Directors represent the areas of work previously covered by the AUL for User Services, EC agreed that when the AULs attend EC, the Directors should too. (Mary Laskowski and David Ward have been elected to EC, so this will entail inviting Sara Holder to those meetings). It was agreed that the Directors should participate in Budget Group, again representing the perspective the AUL for User Services. Lucretia Williams will reach out to the Directors via email to inform them, and add them to the calendar invites.