July 22, 2021 Meeting of Library Staff Support Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

July 22, 2021

Agenda Details


LSSC Meeting Agenda 07-22-21

  1. Approve June Minutes
  2. Liaison & Committee Reports
  • Bylaws:
    1. Review proposed changes
    2. Send out a vote on changes
    3. Update web on changes
    4. Reach out to Social Sciences to include a liaison upon formalizing changes?
  1. Conference CSE support
    1. Conference awardees for virtual ALA June 23-29th
      1. Michelle Self-Ballard & Jenifer Vargo Hauser
      2. Reach out about brown bag options
    2. Progress on drafting budget document (Kristen, Erik & Rachael)
  2. New Employee Basket – LSSC Brochure review & update as needed
  3. Other questions/topics
    1. Drop-in hours for LSSC
      1. Tentatively scheduled for August
      2. Volunteers
    2. S.S.C. Comment Form
      1. Updates on communications: Mary Laskowski draft on staff borrowing timelines changes, how do we want to relay back to staff?
    3. C. meeting (last attended was 06-28-21)
      1. Inclusive governance task force was discussed
      2. Plans/ideas for Monday, June 28, 2021, 2pm
        1. Shared topics for EC:
          1. July: Review & Rank open positions Fa21
          2. August: AUL User Services/Directors discussion
  • Questions? Agenda topics?
  1. Building Project updates – architects announced
  2. Campus Charitable Fund Dr. – Sara Benson
  3. Dean Wilkin invitations to LSSC – scheduled quarterly (May, August, November [tbd, usually Fall break and cancelled], February)
  4. Susan Breakenridge – scheduled to meet with LSSC September 23, 11:30-12:30.
  • Other Updates / Comments


Minutes Details


Kim Hutcherson (Administration)
Jan Adamczyk (Area Studies)
Karen Huck (Arts & Humanities)
Kristen Blankenship (Central Public Services)
Michelle Self-Ballard (Central Public Services)
Jessica Sommers (Law)
Erik Chapman (Life Sciences)
Rachael Johns (Technical Services)


Minutes for July 22, 2021 meeting

Approve June Minutes: Approved


Liaison Reports and Updates:

Administration: No updates

Administrative Council:  Tom Teper updated the committee on a special circumstance with someone on the no-trespass list.  An individual named Thomas N. McGeary campus no-trespass expired July 1 this year.  The library has asked and been granted an extension for Library only no-trespass for five years.  However, if he requests in advance to come to the library for a specific reason and with supervision, he can enter.  If you see him without supervision, call UIPD.  If you do not know if he has permission to be in the library/your unit, check with the Dean’s office and if he doesn’t have permission, call UIPD.


Area Studies:  cancelled

Arts & Humanities:  did not meet

Other News:  Outreach and Engagement Committee announced grant proposal, Arts & Humanities offered a Forum for the Faculty and Students to offer feedback about how to best support them during the UGL Integration and beyond.  Reference Management Team mentioned in the meeting that they are hoping to get buy-in from A&H unit heads for a 1-2 minute video or a sheet of info that gave GAs information about what each unit offered in terms of services, and who offered what services.

Central Public Services: Guest:  Chris Prom; Chris talked about what services are resuming, web site improvements, introductions of Belinda Bolivar and Maria Emerson.

Central Access Service: Looking into resuming normal operations in the fall.

UGL:  Planning for fall processes and hours.  Working on the UGL transition with transitions team and working on the staff job descriptions.

Law:  Not replacing two staff members who have left, students assistants will fill those roles.  Therefore, reorganizing workspace, plans for weeding project.  Cancelling print in favor of online resources.

Life Sciences:  Guest: Chris Prom.  Chris talked about Digital Strategies, returning to work,  formal collaboration between faculty at other universities, and User Services AUL review.

ACES:  Return to work hours starting Aug 16 open 8:30-5 Monday-Friday; Starting Aug 23 open later. After Labor Day normal operations.

Res Hall:  Res Hall life training for the Fall; Library getting ready for fall weeding, re-writing manuals for Alma; clerk training, looking into grant proposals – looking for funding for supplies and training.

Technical Services:  did not meet.  Turn around time for digitization patron requests (for complete item access of general collections materials via Primo) has been extended to 2 weeks.  Patrons are notified.


Agenda Items Discussed:        

  • Bylaws: Reviewed proposed changes and all accepted proposed changes.  All agreed to continue with sending out a vote on changes and reach out to Social Sciences to include a liaison upon formalizing changes.   Kim Hutcherson will update the web page.
  • New Employee Basket – LSSC Brochure reviewed. Can change members, add term dates, suggestion on commitment column, and add tech services column.  Kim Hutcherson will update the brochure.
  • Drop-in hours for LSSC – scheduled for August 18 from 2-3; Karen and Rachael will run drop-in session.
  • Review & Rank open positions discussion. Document in LSSC Box folder.   In August plan to talk about AUL User Services/Directors discussion.
  • Inclusive governance task force moving forward. Kickoff meeting is in August.
  • Remote work Policy which included classifications that cannot perform remote work that was shared from EC; that it is best to ask Susan Breakenridge how library is interpreting the documentation for clarity before asking if okay to share on libnews.
  • Reach out to the person that had the concern bring up in the drop in hour.
  • Building Project updates – architects announced and Architects on site talking to units and visiting each of the existing spaces.
  • Covid updates – Covid vaccine requirements for Fall discussed (campus email dated July 21). Faculty and staff should be vaccinated for COVID-19 if they are able to do so.  Faculty and staff who are not vaccinated will continue to be required to wear face coverings and participate in the on-campus COVID-19 testing program. For the Fall 2021 semester, this means testing and receiving negative test results twice per week.
  • Language does include in the requirements that some individuals may have health conditions or other reasons why they cannot be vaccinated. For those individuals, the COVID-19 testing program and face coverings will continue to be required.




Next LSSC Zoom Meeting: August 26, 2021