January 7, 2019 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

January 7, 2019

Agenda Details


See Minutes.

Minutes Details




January 7, 2019


428 Library


Present: John Wilkin, chair, David Ward, vice chair; Mary Laskowski, secretary; Paula Carns, William Maher, Bill Mischo, Nancy O’Brien, Lynne Rudasill, Lynne Thomas; Visitors – Greg Knott, Jake MacGregor; Recording – Kim Matherly


  1. 2-2:30pm – Recruitment –Greg Knott, Jake MacGregor

Searches – Business & Human Resources Service Center (BHRSC) is cross training Aneitre Johnson with Donna Hoffman, so there are two people working on the searches. Jake is working with John Laskowski to develop templates and forms to make the search process easier. Jake is also developing other tools, like Handshake training. Jake is working to make the Search Manual more helpful and suggested a checklist would be a good starting place as a guide to the search process for search chairs.


Greg would like to see the Library do more active recruiting. This is not just the responsibility of HR, but of the entire Library. Greg is hoping the new Diversity position will be instrumental in helping the Library to recruit.


Budget– The budget is in good shape, with more unencumbered funds than at the same time last year. EC would like to see detailed numbers. John will ask Greg to supply a more complete budget the next time he meets with EC.


Other BHRSC business. Greg will be sending out the notice for 2018 employee evaluations. The Annual Library Celebration begins at 8:30 on January 8.


  1. Approve minutes – December 10

Minutes were approved as amended by a motion from Nancy O’Brien, seconded by Lynne Thomas.


  1. Question Time

John met with the Provost today. The Provost is working on a campus wide committee for the Library Building Project and hopes to have a charge sometime this week.


ARL has published data on rankings. The Illinois Library dropped from 15 to 20. This is the lowest we have been in a long time. In relative terms, this drop is meaningful and significant. John is planning to factor this information into the budget document. The Library’s deadline to submit the budget document is March 1. EC will see a copy as it evolves.

Strategic Plan – we need to do more work on the metrics of impact we use to shape services and communicate our successes. What’s working and can we do better? Not everything is measureable. One example of measurable activity is logins to the proxy server by program, especially for students enrolled in online degree programs. Those students are not paying the Library/IT fee. When we did a special project to analyze proxy server logins by iMBA students, 86% of the students enrolled logged into the proxy server for an average of 28 sessions per student. We know what resources are being used, but we don’t know what constituencies are using them. John will incorporate into the budget document a statement that we will work on to better understand users and uses to reflect our value to campus. Coincidentally, this year each unit will see in its budget document its share of the cost for the Library.


The standard sections of the budget document look the same. We have also been asked to model a 1.5% reduction that would exclude the Library/IT fee and Collections. 1.5% is about $285,000 for the Library.


The Library Catalyst Working Group has a 3/2019 deadline for its report. They have asked for an extension and John granted the extension to 5/2019.


  1. Personnel issue

Personnel issues were discussed.


  1. Merrick Fund

EC approved the draft email. John will send the email out soon, asking for applications for funds.


  1. Agenda for AUL meeting 1/14
    1. Library Building Project Update – Tom
    2. 220 Updates – Heidi, Cherié
    3. IT in general and changes to organizational structure -Chris


  1. Report on EC office hours

There were only four visitors during 3-one hour sessions. EC decided to discontinue the office hours.


  1. External/internal reviewers

Reviewers were chosen.


  1. Strategic planning

The Strategic Planning working group will consist of one representative from each Division. At its next meeting, EC will discuss the strategic planning process and select a chair to lead the team.


  1. PRC

PRCs were chosen.


  1. AUL Annual reports

February 15 is the deadline for each AUL to submit an annual report.


  1. Turyn applications

John, along with William Maher, Bill Mischo, Nancy O’Brien, and Lynne Rudasill, will serve as the ad hoc committee for the review process.


  1. Emeritus status for a faculty member

EC approved.


  1. Innovation Fund

EC approved the fund request.


  1. Position Request

EC approved the request and a search committee was suggested.