Time and Location of Meeting
January 16, 2014
Agenda not yet available.
IAS Staff Meeting Minutes
January 16, 2014
(Guest minutes taker: Antonio Sotomayor)
Present: Steve Witt, Lynne Rudasill, Laila Hussein, Shuyong Jiang, Dmitri Tartakovsky, Joe Lenkart, Larry Miller, Mara Thacker, Jan Adamczyk, Xiaoping Qi, and Antonio Sotomayor.
- White paper due date: February 21 (3 pages) Lynne and Steve will work on this.
- GA/GH Requests: Due Tuesday 21. There will be a separate request for the new hire in International Reference Librarian. Steve met with Kathleen Kern and Cindy Ingold to share appointments between IASL and their units, 33% between three units.
- SAWBO follow up: Atoma, Steve, and Michael Norman met with SAWBO people to enhance dissemination of the project with the catalog. Additionally, they will create an IDEALS account for them. There is a continuing call to identify different language speakers to help in making translations. Laila has begun to translate some materials in Arabic.
- Brenda Kelsey from continuing education for teachers gave IAS funding for DVDs to Kobuki.
- Yoo-Seong placed orders for videos from North Korean via China. These are rare, often classified, videos from North Korea that would greatly enhance our collection.
- Lynne= Beth Sandore sent report from U.S. budget on Title VI grants. Feel free to contact her for copies.
- Larry=Slavic made major *** acquisition of *** primary sources.
- Area Studies Benchmarking data. Steve received from Kit and Antonio. Call for another to submit theirs. Mara mentioned it is hard to indicate staff support for her collection. Steve: please send yours in next couple of weeks.
- Bulletin Board: design by Sonal and Quetzalli. Comments: a. Consistency in faculty and staff information; b. needs headshots; c. wear ID w pictures; d. Ask Heather Murphy to take headshots; e. place book covers inside the box; f. cut hours from information paragraph and place IAS web url.
- Sarajevo Olympics: Need newspaper articles from your region to exhibit boards.
- Naming systems exhibit: call for participants. Antonio will be setting up a time to meet and discuss exhibit with those interested. Laila and Atoma have joined this project.
- Concert: April 1st Indian music in IASL, thanks to multiple funding.
- World Newspaper Archive? Is it worth it or valuable to keep it? Lynne will follow up on digitization of collection from Hathi Trust in two months.
- RBML guidelines for accession-Larry Miller: Problems of definition of what is “rare”? Many of the items in our collections would easily be considered rare and would have to go to RBML. There is a need for clarification of these guidelines. Larry volunteers to draft a revision of guidelines for RBML. Invite Valerie and Tom to IAS Division meeting for further discussion. Meeting with Tom to talk about collection development policies: vernacular versus English.
- International Reference Librarian search-Steve Witt: Ready and sent. Encourage people to apply.
- IASL Reference and User Services: Mara Thacker-They will be meeting time to go over the User satisfaction survey coming up soon to the website.