Time and Location of Meeting
February 24, 2022
LSSC Meeting Agenda 02-24-22
- Approve November Minutes
- C. meeting (last Monday 01-24-22)
- EC Monday, 2 pm
- Shared topics for EC:
- Tom Teper shared – review process
- Marshall Gallery proposal
- Shared topics for EC:
- EC Monday, 2 pm
- For next time: Questions? Agenda topics?
- Liaison & Committee Reports
- Meeting times: Google Poll for a better time? Keep to Zoom, schedule?
- Conference CSE ALA announcements sent deadline 3/10, advance (previously known as early bird) until 3/31,
- recommendations on review committee (reach out, ask if interested & confirm).
- RFS needs sent: Early Bird (by March 16): $85, Advance (March 17 – April 4): $100
- Mini-grant announcements, with meeting on schedule for Robert Howerton Scholarship: pilot run, document/timeline, post online & share widely
- Topics for meeting with Dean Wilkin February 24, 2022, from 11:30-12:30 pm (30 minutes later this time)
- Leaving, concerns, parting gifts,
- Inclusive governance document (comments requested, not come up in another forum) – link permanence/perpetuity for the coffee things?
- Admin council meet, simplify? Example of change. Voting member of AC LSSC rep.
- What now?
- Indications on his thoughts on LSSC involvement in EC/ absence, anything in place to protect model we’ve been built
- Direct liaison Susan Breakenridge, would he still want to meet with us? Champion some outside things.
- Other questions/topics:
- Staff Concerns & Feedback
- Membership update: Erik supported as vice-chair continued – reached out to ACES folks any update – Erik?
- Spring drop-in hour
- Special Collections Building update
- COVID-19 updates
- Other Updates / Comments
Jan Adamczyk (Area Studies)
Kristen Blankenship (CPS)
Bernadette Braun (Physical Sciences)
Erik Chapman (Life Sciences)
Julia Cross (Residential Hall Libraries)
Karen Huck (Arts & Humanities)
Kim Hutcherson (Administration)
Tony Hynes (Special Collections)
Rachael Johns (Technical Services)
Michelle Self-Ballard (Central Public Services)
Jessica Sommers (Law)
Dulcie Vermillion (Social Sciences)
Guest: Jennifer Nelson, Department of Education Policy, Organization and Leadership.
Approve January Minutes: Approved
Liaison Reports and Updates:
Administration: Nothing to report.
Administrative Council: Tom Teper asked for feedback for the Academic Program Review and shared Google docs with the group. It was suggested by another member that when putting your comments in the Google docs you should also put your name by the comments if they have any questions, they know who to ask. The deadline for feedback has been extended to March 4, 2022.
Area Studies: IAS submitted application for residency librarian, discussed person being housed at IAS, monies, deadlines; Also talked about tenure promo.
Arts & Humanities: Guest: Michael Norman. Talked about analytics/run reports and taught them how to do it. Anyone including staff can ask him for permission, just talk to your unit head. Lit Lang Library is also in on the residency for indigenous work with Riker and HPNL.
Central Public Services: Sarah Christensen discussed Open Education Resources (OER) grants which are getting a lot of interest in marketing efforts. Michelle Reed discussed scholarly commons transition. David Ward discussed office space and prayer spaces. There are currently two prayer spaces in UGL and they want to make sure this service is still available. Alma discussion on proxy patrons.
Law: There are two reference librarians leaving and will be opening searches soon; updating tech services workspace; getting new flooring; workflows are changing, and there was mention of new projects for staff.
Life Sciences: Janis Shearer shared information about marketing grants.
Physical Sciences: Did not meet.
Res Hall: Collaborating with different units for a reading day activity such as making books/pamphlets. Looking to get an OER grant to do printing, etc. Res Halls are behind normal pace for re-signing students, therefore, budget will stay the same for collections, small amount for student staff, nothing for promotions, equipment or extra.
Social Studies: Did not meet.
Special Collections: Future planning discussion on how responsibility and procedures look for exhibits in the new building.
Technical Services: working with IT on a program that will soon be retired and or migrating. Submitted application for residency librarian. Also discussed outreach with Res Hall Libraries.
- C. meeting: LSSC invited to share feedback on the Academic Program Review as well as the Marshall Gallery Proposal. No questions for E.C.’s next meeting.
- LSSC Meeting times discussed and a google poll will be sent out to see what works best for members.
- Conference CSE ALA announcements sent deadline 3/10, advance (previously known as early bird) until 3/31. Recommendations on review committee (reach out, ask if interested & confirm). Reaching Forward South announcement also sent: Early Bird (by March 16): $85, Advance (March 17 – April 4): $100 (reaching forward south)
- Mini-grant announcements coming soon – post online & share widely
- COVID-19 updates – units & mask mandates
- LLL will continue to mask
- UGL trying to figure out what to tell students as some are worried about it. Staff who want to wear masks will continue to wear masks.
- Rachael will send an email to Administration with masking concerns.
Q & A with Dean Wilkin
Q: In regard to your leaving, are there any concerns?
A: No concerns. The timing is good. I am excited about people who are coming up in the ranks.
Q: Inclusive governance document (comments requested, not come up in another forum) – link permanence/perpetuity for the coffee things?
A: Tracking and representing voices.
Also talked about the Academic Program Review as mentioned in the Hangouts.
Q: Admin council meet, simplify? Example of change. Voting member of AC LSSC rep.
A: Floating member from LSSC on AC, superseded by Inclusive governance, some talk about dismembering AC, which has to be sorted out. AC does not have a real meaningful role. The structure is around faculty and tenure (divisions give recommendations). Many items do not get to AC.
Q: Indications on his thoughts on LSSC involvement in EC/ absence, anything in place to protect model we’ve been built
A: Once new governance mechanism in place, representatives from LSSC/LCP will be unnecessary. New governance would be more of the reviewing, etc. that EC formally did. EC focus should narrow to purely faculty affairs.
Q: How would this look like is it hard to say one way another or would the function be equivalent to a new body of governance.
A: A concern is what defines as faculty issues (such as budget). Need to get there first with track record/models and make sure things are working as they should.
Q: Direct liaison Susan Breakenridge, would he still want to meet with us
A: As long as I’m here, I will meet with LSSC.
Next LSSC Zoom Meeting: March 24, 2022