February 22, 2018 Meeting of Library Staff Support Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

February 22, 201811:00 am - 12:30 pm 225b Main Library

Agenda Details


LSSC Agenda


Meeting with the Dean Discussion


Cross-Committee Cooperation


Planning for Field Trip


Brown Bag lunch for New Employees

Minutes Details


Jim Cotter (Special Collections)
Angie Gruendl (Physical Sciences & Engineering)
Kim Hutcherson (subbing for Skye Arseneau, Administrative Services)
Emily Kasak (Mortenson Center/Area Studies)
Kyle McCafferty (Central Access Services)
Debora Pfeiffer (Technical Services)
Dani Postula (Central Access Services)
Laura Poulosky (Residence Hall Libraries)
Gennye Varvel (Social Sciences)
Shoshana Vegh-Gaynor (Arts & Humanities)


Thoughts on Meeting with Dean Wilkin: As part of his “Reunion Tour” since he has returned from his role of Interim Provost to his role of Library Dean, John Wilkin met with LSSC on Wednesday, Jan. 31st.  LSSC discussed our thoughts about issues discussed with John. LSSC had asked John his thoughts on a possible Building Library Community Committee, which would be composed of civil service employees, Academic Professionals, and Library faculty from interested groups such as LSSC, L-CAP, the Diversity Committee, and Staff Training and Development.  Like Bill Mischo had said when he met with LSSC recently, John stated that Executive Council is not currently very keen on adding any new Library committees and therefore might not be likely to approve a proposal for a new committee.  LSSC feels that building a stronger sense of community throughout the Library is too important, though, not to address in a more intentional, inclusive manner.  See “Cross-Committee Cooperation” below for LSSC’s further discussion of this matter.John had suggested that it might be useful for LSSC to meet with Jeff Brownfield, the Executive Director of SUCSS.  Kyle will contact Jeff to try to schedule an open forum with him, which we would announce on LIBnews and LIBstaff, and which we would hold in a room large enough to accommodate any interested employees.  We would like to record the meeting and send out a link to the recording, so that anyone who is unable to attend could still get the information presented.John had mentioned the idea of reconfiguring the Main Stacks so that materials from the East Stacks would be moved to fit within the West Stacks, where climate control is better.  We are concerned about the logistics of such an undertaking, since staff members who work in the Stacks feel there is not enough space in the East Stacks to make this feasible.  We hope to hear more details about this idea as part of John’s Library Update in March 13th in rm66, after which we’ll see if staff members have specific questions about it that we should bring to Library Administration.Cross-Committee Cooperation:  Members of LSSC, L-CAP, the Diversity Committee, and Staff Training and Development still see a great need for someone to take on the implementation of improvements suggested by the Library-wide ClimQual survey from a few years ago, especially suggestions related to improving Library-wide morale and working relationships across the system.  Some members of these groups plan to meet informally over the next few months to discuss what the goals of a subcommittee focused on Library community should be.  These individuals will keep their respective committees informed of their discussions.  Emily pointed out that it will be important to get input from Library employees throughout the system on any events or projects that this subcommittee is considering.LSSC Field Trip in March:  Kyle has arranged for LSSC to visit the Fire Safety Institute on Thursday, March 15th, at 2 p.m. for a one-hour tour, hosted by Head Librarian Lian Ruan.  Kyle has reserved the Library van, which will fit 7 people, Dani may be able to drive 3 others with her, and some of us plan to take the Yellow bus to the Institute.  Please note that no food or drink is allowed at the Institute.Possible G.E.O. Strike on Monday, Feb. 26th: The Graduate Employees Union announced its intent to strike on Monday, Feb. 26th, if a contract with the University is not reached by that date.  Protected by Freedom of Speech mandates, Library Union members may join picket lines in solidarity without actually striking, as long as it is not during their own work time.  Brown Bag Lunch for New Employees: We discussed the possibility of hosting brown bag lunches for new employees in the summer, fall, and spring, in order to share information newcomers may need about the Library and about Urbana-Champaign, and to give new employees the opportunity to ask any questions they may have.  Kim from BSHRC has been giving new civil service employees welcome baskets with helpful information and she’d like to include information in them about any of these lunches that LSSC plans, as well as flyers about LSSC.  Debora suggested that Kim also include information about the Faculty/Staff Assistance Program.  Kim welcomes any other ideas people may have about what she should add to the welcome baskets.  You can email her suggestions at khutcher@illinois.edu .

Committee Reports:
Arts and Humanities Division:  The Arts and Humanities Division took a tour of the Music and Performing Arts Library.  Shoshana reported that the tour was great, since the Library contains lots of excellent materials.

Residence Hall Libraries:  The Residence Hall Librarian, Gretchen Madsen Webb, has left for a new job as an Assistant Branch Manager in Portland, OR.  Her last day at the University of Illinois was February 23rd.  So this is an especially busy time for the Residence Hall Libraries’ staff, who are now covering the essential tasks that Gretchen had been performing.  The job announcement for Gretchen’s replacement should be posted soon.

No other Divisions had met since our previous LSSC meeting.