February 2, 2017 Meeting of Area Studies

Time and Location of Meeting

February 2, 2017

Agenda Details


Agenda not yet available.

Minutes Details



IAS Staff Meeting

February 2, 2017

Present: Jan Adamczyk, Atoma Batoma, Kit Condill, Shuyong Jiang, Lisa Renee Kemplin, Joe Lenkart, Lynne Rudasill, Antonio Sotomayor, Mara Thacker, Xiaoping Qi, and Steve Witt

Announcements & Accolades:

  1. Steve is inviting staff to his house for a brunch. Date to be announced at a later time.


  1. The next Strategic Planning Impact Awards Meeting will be held Febraury 9 from 9-10 in RM 106. Grants are up to $5,000. Draft applications will be shared at this meeting. Project proposals are due February 28. 
  2. The website conversion should go live to the public on Monday, February 6. Initially some subject specialists were not contacted by IT GA’s but now everyone has been contacted. The webpages for Chinese, South Asia, Japan, and Africa are completed. Some changes include contacts will go to IAS reference email and subject specialist and links on how to use the library will be listed in vernacular languages. There will be a link to our old website initially during the conversion.
  3. Discussed meeting attended by Steve and Laila on the campus response to immigration ban. There are 144 students on this campus that are affected by the ban. Trying to reach out to staff and faculty that might also be impacted. The advice being given is to not travel outside of the country. There are 3 people that have been unable to reenter the United States. There is concern for students in the summer who may not be able to return home. Trying to put resources in place for housing, support, and information. The U. of I. is also working with other Big 10 schools on a response. There is information on the Provost’s website regarding campus resources. There is a GA in RIS that is interested in collaborating with IAS on making a libguide. 


  1. ITEC – There were 51 attendees at our first Chai Wai of the spring semester. Some upcoming programming events include Chai Wai on Global Health on March 9, Calligraphy Demonstration on April 5, Poetry and Translation on April 14,and Putin discussion on April 27. Shuyong will send information about a Reading Group for the Asian American Cultural Center. They are looking for IAS to help with promotion of book club. 
  1. International Reference – Preparations are underway for the Summer Lab. The application date has been moved up to March in order to give more time for research of individual topics. There will be 3 Graduate Hourlies to assist staff with the lab. There will not be a guide for the Fisher Forum this year. Shuyong and Joe collaborated on class instruction for a Chinese Law class. There are three requests for class instruction.
  1. IAS Space Group – Only 4 surveys have been received. Lynne will resend link to survey to staff. 


  1. Collection conversation today at noon at the YMCA.
  1. Kit forwarded a call for participants for YBP taskforce. Please send your name to Tom Teper by February 7, if interested in participating.
  1. Antonio was contacted by the Associate Vice Chancellor of Economic Development on behalf of President Killeen regarding a possible resource of a computer terminal from UNAM allowing access to resources.
  1. Atoma shared information on a workshop in Chicago this Saturday on the African Presence in Mexico. Atoma will be attending.