February 17, 2003 Meeting of Administrative Council

Time and Location of Meeting

February 17, 20031:30 pm - 3:00 pm 428 Library

Agenda Details


Agenda not yet available.

Minutes Details


Paula Kaufman, Chair, Rod Allen, Cindy Ashwill (for Lyn Jones), Bob Burger, Kevin Butterfield (for Janis Johnston), Tina Chrzastowski, Bart Clark, Barbara Ford, Peggy Glatthaar, Barb Henigman, Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe, Barbara Jones (for Bill Maher), Tom Kilton, Betsy Kruger, Nancy O’Brien, Beth Sandore, Diane Schmidt, Karen Schmidt, Karen Wei, John Weible, Joyce Wright; Visitor-Tom Teper


  1. Patron Privacy Policy – SandoreThe policy lacked language to inform users that we are responsible for managing network resources in the Library, and sometime we might have to do things that might limit the use of resources, might limit the time individuals could use the resources. We are not choosing to do that but it is a possibility.  Beth made revisions in the introductory paragraph but tried to keep with the original spirit of the document.  On the second page she added a citation at the top of the page to the CIO’s Interim Policy on the use of university network resources.

    The policy was reviewed by CITES.  One thing missing is that the policy doesn’t cite our own confidentiality policy as it relates to Circ.  This will be added to the policy. Campus police have been made aware of our policies, but because of incidents Paula will send the information to Kris Fitzpatrick again and ask her to make her force aware of it. It would be helpful to have a workshop about this policy so everyone knows how it will work. It is impossible to restrict all email use because of the internet possibilities.  But patrons will not be able to send email from the campus network.

    Although the UIUC Library deletes Voyager OPAC borrower information after the material is returned, there were some questions about how long this patron information is available from ILCSO’s servers, and what other types of user information is made available from vendors of e-resources to which we subscribe.  This will be looked into.

    Any other suggestions you have, please send to Beth by the end of the week.

  2. Emergency Situation Chart-distributed by Tom TeperMaps will be included in the final product.  A Library Incident report will also be included.  Each employee will receive the short version and each unit will receive a full version of the policies. Although not designed to supplant all policies, these procedure books will provide some initial guidance.

    If you have any suggestions send them to Tom or Bart Clark.

  3. Budget Outlook – KaufmanThe Executive Committee will be invited to the next AC meeting.  Paula would like the Divisions to talk about what the Library should look like in five to ten years.  We need to develop a framework of services and how they will be delivered.  Please come to the next meeting with ideas.

    Next year there will be no new money.  We don’t know how much will be taken away, but we will be protected to some extent.  We can’t have unrealistic expectations and we can’t do more with less.  Something will have to be cut:  hours, services, etc.  The Senate on the Library has asked that we try not to touch the budget for the collections.

    We will keep open positions open and will try to avoid any lay-offs.

    The Budget group is looking at the issues.  They would like the Heads of Divisions to look at how they might reallocate staff if there is a vacancy in one of the units in their Division.  They will look at service priorities.  If you are able to keep a GA position open that will be encouraged, although you don’t have to worry about losing the position.

    Betsy mentioned billing as one area where there could be a savings in money and labor.

  4. Announcements and UpdatesOn March 5, Systems expects CITES to enable the campus Firewall Service for the Library VLAN.  This will help protect machines from off-campus attacks.  The Library VLAN includes all of the libraries except for a few in other buildings.  More specific details will be on LibNews.

    A CITRIX project, to provide a number of CD-ROM databases campus wide, is being set up.  Currently a handful of titles from the Arts & Humanities division are being tested on the new system.

    In just over one week, 4000 volumes have been processed in Faux Oak.

    From February 4 to February 14 Beth Sandore, Tom Kilton, Barbara Jones, Nuala Bennett and Mara Wade hosted two visiting scholars from the Herzog August Bibliothek in Wolfenbuettel, Germany that is an 18th century literature library.  They have one of the top three emblem collections in the world, and we have one of the top three emblem collections in the world.  They are digitizing theirs and we are digitizing ours.  Mara Wade got a cooperative grant through the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation that lets us talk to each other in visits and in collaborative meetings to figure out how we can share our digitizing information.  Sometime in March we will post, on our own web site, information about their emblem book collection, so you can search their emblem book collection as well as ours.