Time and Location of Meeting
February 15, 20211:30 pm - 3:00 pm Zoom Meeting
February 15, 2021
- Approve minutes – February 8, 2021
- Question Time
- Library Innovation Fund Extension Request
- Draft Charge for Task Force on Diversity in Recruitment
- 2-2:30 Co-chairs/Chairs of LSSC and LCAP
- Plan 5 Year Reviews 2021
February 15, 2021
Zoom Conference Call
EC Attendees: John Wilkin (Chair); William Maher (Vice-Chair); Dan Tracy (Secretary); Mara Thacker, Mary Laskowski, Kelli Trei, Jennifer Teper, and Peg Burnette. Lucretia Williams, Recording
Invited Attendees: LSSC/LCAP Chairs and Co-Chairs: Erik Chapman and, John Laskowski
- Minutes – The February 8, 2021 EC meeting minutes were approved upon the motion by Kelli Trei and second by Bill Maher.
- Question Time – Dean Wilkin update EC on the following:
- Staff Volunteer Retirement Program – We prepared materials that were sent to campus administration, and IHR. The Provost’s Office met with Deans and their HR directors to review the materials and the process for reviewing volunteers. Our list has been approved, and those individuals will receive a letter from the university, probably by next week. They will have seven days to sign and seven days after that to withdraw their decision. After that the list will be final and can be shared with EC.
- Annual Affirmative Action Meeting – Dean Wilkin, Kelli Trei, and Skye Arseneau had the annual meeting with the Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and IHR. They provided a review of our data, and they give us feedback on our activity with regard to affirmative action. It was a very positive meeting, and Dean Wilkin feels like we have a strong partnership them that was affirmed in the course of the discussion. They also provided targets and goals, but these are about setting aspirations and not penalties. We have been making steady progress on our goals and we are in good shape.
- Library Innovation Fund Extension Request – EC approved two extensions of the Library Innovation Fund Extension Request. Extension for be for one year. Lucretia will follow up on this matter.
- Draft Charge for Task Force on Diversity in Recruitment – EC discussed the draft charge for Task Force on Diversity in Recruitment. There was very robust conversation on this topic. Kelli Trei met with Chris Prom and Skye Arseneau last week to talk to them about the Task Force Charge. Questions were raised on the section regarding membership and overlap with the DEIA task force, and it was suggested we need to not overload the chairs of that group. Another suggestion was that it might be appropriate for the new DEIA Director to be on this task force. EC also recommended changes to the title and discussed related issues to the scope of the committee’s charge.
There are some issues where this group will need to work with the Task Force on Research and Investigation Time Policy, and possibly with the new Residency Program when that gets underway.
EC made suggestions on language on the charge for clarity and about our collective sense of what we need to do. A revised charge will be discussed at a future meeting.
- 2:30-3:00 – LSSC and LCAP Chairs/Co-Chairs –
LCAP and LSSC reps did not have specific agenda items and conversation proceeded to continued consideration of issues of inclusion in governance and administration.
Dean Wilkin noted that when we added LSSC and LCAP reps to join EC once a month like this, it was as an initial measure with the idea that we would continue to explore ways to improve inclusion in administration and governance.
LSSC and LCAP representatives discussed this with their committees, and they have appreciated the move to the current structure. They noted that since it is relatively young it has not yet fully sunk in so it is hard to make concrete recommendations. The group discussed challenges and merits of different approaches, particularly some expanded version of EC versus a separate group entirely.
EC, LSSC, and LCAP also discussed the library Hangouts and suggestions for better ways of conducting them. There was appreciation from LCAP and LSSC for the creation of a space for people to have some vulnerability even if it can be hard to manage that type of space.
- Plan 5 Year Reviews 2021– EC appointed committee members for an upcoming 5-year review of a unit head. Lucretia Williams will reach out to the appointed persons and inform EC of their decision. EC also looked ahead at unit head reviews due in the coming year.